Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

2013 GT500 @ Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/11, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
The fact is, Ford is focusing on handling with the upcoming car, as evident by them taking it to the 'Ring and doing testing. That is good news for all Mustang owners and prospective buyers, as their findings will almost surely trickle down in future product.
So true, got goose pimples seeing the GT500 on the Ring.

Ford plans on selling Mustangs world wide, the next Mustang will have an IRS..would be utterly shocked if the next Mustang didn't have it. Wether the live axle handles as good or not is sometimes not the answer to the question, but marketing sure is. The fact the Mustang rightly or wrongly gets dogged for its log stick axle to me is mainly marketing, which is largely devoid of facts sometimes but can influence a buyer due to the lack of it.

BTW, did anyone watch the ZR1 on the Ring..awesome video. Also, it has an IRS. Ran a 7:19...with production tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yKb6...layer_embedded

Dave

Last edited by Dave07997S; 6/14/11 at 05:07 PM.
Old 6/14/11, 06:00 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
Honestly I think it's absurd to even bring IRS into the equation re: keeping the wheels on the ground when attacking curbs. Especially the bit about the AUDI going off the pavement. How exactly is IRS supposed to help there?
Because of IRS alleged superiority of keeping contact on uneven surfaces.
Didn't do a dang thing. But it did introduce the weak link of half shafts that continue to break - whether racing or reports of the Chally and Camaro.

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
But that's just me. There is nothing wrong with an SRA setup, but I'd prefer a good IRS.

The thing the SRA crowd doesn't have going for them is the negative stigma.
I respect your opinion. However I don't personally care about mass hysteria's "stigma".

As for the street its just a matter of driver discipline and trusting your vehicle - knowing your vehicle and how it responds. From British open roadsters, to off road vehicles, to pushing my Bullitt, to hundreds of thousands of miles on commercial rigs (Super Duty's & bobtails), its all the same - whether pushing hard on 2 lane bumpy twisties, or uneven snowpacked roads that are washboarded from chained up rigs, the key is to continue to have positive throttle (that doesn't mean floored). At least neutral - but some throttle is better - which means braking ahead of entering the curve so you are under throttle and have the correct weight transfer. Whether there is a brief skip or not with SRA, it immediately grabs and continues your line if you have acceleration and weight transfer. And how much better with Track-Lock. All the moreseo on snow and ice. It simply becomes second nature where you don't even think about goosing the throttle and mildly correcting the wheel if necessary.
Whereas too many feel a dimple and let off or worse hit the brakes because they don't understand and they don't trust their vehicle. And even with IRS if they hit the brakes, say goodbye.

SRA handles just perfect for me - by experience - and I don't have the weak link of half shafts. IMO

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/14/11 at 06:08 PM.
Old 6/14/11, 08:03 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Anyone notice the brakes? The rears are obviously larger, and if you enlarge the pic the front rotors kind of look like they may be carbon ceramic.
That'd be SOOPER pricey! Looks to me more like the fronts are metal drilled two-piece rotors of some description.

I wonder if the rears are still single piston floating caliper? Somebody said sometime ago that Ford couldn't go to a twin piston and maintain its current style parking brake - I got a chance to look at the rear brakes on a Challenger and they do indeed have a a twin piston caliper with a parking brake that engages the caliper rather than utilizing a seperate drum style parking brake in the hub.

Last edited by bob; 6/14/11 at 09:56 PM.
Old 6/14/11, 08:07 PM
Bullitt Member

The fact is, Ford is focusing on handling with the upcoming car, as evident by them taking it to the 'Ring and doing testing. That is good news for all Mustang owners and prospective buyers, as their findings will almost surely trickle down in future product.
They could start with getting rid of the stock 4x4 stance.
Old 6/14/11, 08:08 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
BTW, did anyone watch the ZR1 on the Ring..awesome video. Also, it has an IRS. Ran a 7:19...with production tires.
Good job indeed by team corvette, although the ZR1 is shod with Michelin Sport Cup tires designed specifically for the vette. It certainly strains the definition of street tire, but hell how many ZR1s are daily drivers?

Not that I wouldn't slap a set on my ride if they made them in a size that would fit my car

he fact the Mustang rightly or wrongly gets dogged for its log stick axle to me is mainly marketing, which is largely devoid of facts sometimes but can influence a buyer due to the lack of it.

Tru'dat

Last edited by bob; 6/14/11 at 08:31 PM.
Old 6/14/11, 08:21 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

LOL at the twin turbo comments still. Anything to drum up the hype.
Agreed, seemed like to much sound filtering through for a turbo car

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
I don't hear a supercharger, either, for that matter.
ford works realy hard to mute the SC, dump that intake muffler and go to an open element filter and the SC starts to make itself known. Overdrive it and it shines through even more
Old 6/14/11, 09:15 PM
GT Member

That video gave me a hard-on
Old 6/14/11, 11:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Right.
Point is IRS is not the "magic handling cure-all" the mag rag hypsters and their minions make it out to be. There were a number of wipe outs caused when going over the curbs. Those wheels were still airborne and lost control. Nor did IRS help when the Audi went off the edge of the pavement and hit the wall.
Handling aside, adding the weak link of half shafts resulted in race day over for multiple teams.
IMO that's a wash between theoretical (handling) advantage and practical (weak link) disadvantage.
Ford has proven repeatedly that even with uneven surfaces, SRA traction can be maintained with proper suspension, weight transfer, tires - without problematic half shafts.
Oh of course! that was it all along! those useless IRS setups on the LMP1 Audi R18s.

Yeah they should get rid of it and go to an SLA setup. Why didnt they think of that sooner....

Because I mean...the IRS in F1, GT1, ALMS, GP2, DTM are all useless because they spinout...

Last edited by foolio2k4; 6/14/11 at 11:09 PM.
Old 6/15/11, 12:06 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by foolio2k4
Oh of course! that was it all along! ...
Yeah I'd bet money you're a "OMG I'm gonna wreck! My Mustang SRA twitched on a piece of gravel in the road!!" and hit the brakes type of guy.

You can twist my comments all you want, but over the years I've had to avoid/drive around more of you talkers/magazine readers that can't drive than I can count. I'll wave as I go by you in the ditch/snow bank as you (falsely) blame it on your Mustang SRA.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/17/11 at 08:32 PM.
Old 6/16/11, 09:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bob
Good job indeed by team corvette, although the ZR1 is shod with Michelin Sport Cup tires designed specifically for the vette. It certainly strains the definition of street tire, but hell how many ZR1s are daily drivers?

Not that I wouldn't slap a set on my ride if they made them in a size that would fit my car

[/COLOR]

Tru'dat
As you probably already know Bob, the Michelin PS Cup tire has changed recently to be more street friendly as you can actually drive the tire in the rain while the previous version was as you say pretty much a DOT race tire.
I looked for a set in my size for my 2011 M3 at 255/35/19 and 285/30/19s to no avail..
Dave
Old 6/16/11, 10:10 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pilot Sport Cup tires were offered as an option as a factory size R-comp, since none were available. With a treadwear rating of 80, and being downright scary in wet conditions, I don't think I'd be checking those unless I was buying a second set of ZR1 wheels. Not to mention the cost.
Old 6/18/11, 09:03 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

I don't think I'd be checking those unless I was buying a second set of ZR1 wheels. Not to mention the cost.
I doubt its a big issue for the ZR1 both from a sales and capability stand point since I imagine few are driven in bad weather and fewer still are daily driven. On the other hand, those guys really wanting to run the ZR1 wil probably dig the Sport Cups since they will be doing the track day stuff.

Now if the ZR1 depreciates really badly and people start scooping them up because its a frigg'n insane car for a good price and start driving them on a regular basis then all those Sport Cup fitted ZR1s will get a nasty rep (anybody remember the NSX/Yokohoma debacle).
Old 6/18/11, 09:17 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

I looked for a set in my size for my 2011 M3 at 255/35/19 and 285/30/19s to no avail..
Y'know, given your garage, I'm surprised. IMO your square in the target group for the Cup, there is always the Super Sport even though its a "lesser" tire in some regards.

I'm waiting to see if the PS SS gets some more sizes in as the year goes by otherwise I'm stuck at the PS2 or the plain old Pilot Sport (how old is that **** tire!)

I really like Michelin's product, nice and balanced is what I like to tell people. There are no shortage of cheaper tires that will generate bigger numbers, but I noticed in a comparo, the Michelin PS2 was mid point in the grip department and really good in the wet yet offered the best control, communicated well and could recover pretty good.

The latter may not mean much if you go by the thinking that more grip means you wont have to deal with that, but really sticky tires that maximize the foot print are prone to let go in spectacular fashion when you reach the limit of adhesion and thats when communication and recovery are important.
Old 6/19/11, 10:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Dig-It Racing
I didn't hear anything spooling or whining - sounds all N/A to me.

Are the front tires the same width as the rears? Those things seem pretty wide.
SC whine on the 2011 Gt500 was fairly subdued, so it's reasonable to think that the exhaust would be loud enough to mask it.
Old 6/19/11, 10:51 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bob
I doubt its a big issue for the ZR1 both from a sales and capability stand point since I imagine few are driven in bad weather and fewer still are daily driven. On the other hand, those guys really wanting to run the ZR1 wil probably dig the Sport Cups since they will be doing the track day stuff.

Now if the ZR1 depreciates really badly and people start scooping them up because its a frigg'n insane car for a good price and start driving them on a regular basis then all those Sport Cup fitted ZR1s will get a nasty rep (anybody remember the NSX/Yokohoma debacle).
True, but I don't think I'd want to run the Sport Cups on normal roads. The cost alone doesn't justify running the risk of a pothole or other junk tearing through my extreme performance tire.

Like I said before, the option seems like one for the track guys who can afford a second set of wheels and tires to daily drive on. After riding in a ZR1 with the Cup tires, I wouldn't want them unless they were for track only.
Old 6/19/11, 11:37 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Whammer
SC whine on the 2011 Gt500 was fairly subdued, so it's reasonable to think that the exhaust would be loud enough to mask it.
I'm not too clued up on the variou upercharger types, but I'm informed by one that is that the TVS (which the '13 is rumoured to use) is pretty whine-free
Old 6/20/11, 07:39 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
I'm not too clued up on the variou upercharger types, but I'm informed by one that is that the TVS (which the '13 is rumoured to use) is pretty whine-free
That would suck...that's worth the price of admission and all part of the experience.

There's just something about putting your foot down, getting thrown back in your seat, hearing Frankensteins monster out back and the shreiking banshee up front
Old 6/20/11, 09:39 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
That would suck...that's worth the price of admission and all part of the experience.

There's just something about putting your foot down, getting thrown back in your seat, hearing Frankensteins monster out back and the shreiking banshee up front
**** skippy! When I heard the blower whine on the 07 press car I decided then and there I would do whatever (with in reason ) I had to do to get one.
Old 6/27/11, 01:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

one thing that would be cool for the GT500 is if they put tivct on it for 2013 to make the ghost cam idle they are putting in the boss trackkey the standard idle for the shelby.
Old 7/7/11, 11:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

It would be so COOL if Ford were to bring out a special edition GT500 Nurburgring mustang as they do with the Boss 302 Laguna Seca. A GT500 N-Ring sounds good. Also, I hope the new supercharger still has a noticable whine under accleration.

Last edited by 2 Go Snake; 7/7/11 at 11:53 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 GT500 @ Nurburgring