Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

2013 GT500 @ Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/11, 06:06 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Still no comment about the undependable/ineffective IRS that took several drivers out in multiple world class races this weekend, eh? Avoiding the issue?
I don't really understand this argument. It's like me saying the only reason NASCAR drivers ever spin out is because of their SRA.

Racing drivers drive on the edge 100% of the time. No matter what rear suspension type they have one thing remains true... they will always crash at one point or another!

I do think it's a little short-sighted, though, discounting the benefit of a GOOD IRS setup. Done right, there is no doubt to me that it feels and drives better than a GOOD SRA. But like it was said earlier, I'll take a good solid axle over a mediocre IRS any day. The '03-'04 Cobras come to mind...

Last edited by m4a1mustang; 6/14/11 at 06:07 AM.
Old 6/14/11, 10:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NOW WITH VIDEO>>>>

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-she...00-future.html
Old 6/14/11, 11:21 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds awesome!!!
Old 6/14/11, 11:58 AM
GTR Member

LOL at the twin turbo comments still. Anything to drum up the hype.
Old 6/14/11, 12:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

HAHAHA Gotta love that double salute to the photographer!
I don`t hear no whistlin`...soo 5.8 it is i guess.
Old 6/14/11, 12:37 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
LOL at the twin turbo comments still. Anything to drum up the hype.
Yup. The TT people keep drinkin that kool-aide
Old 6/14/11, 12:55 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't hear a supercharger, either, for that matter. What I do hear is a beast..........although I'm happy to believe the well informed members on here who have stated a 5.8 TVS supercharged mill.

I see LLN also state 2014
Old 6/14/11, 02:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
I don't hear a supercharger, either, for that matter. What I do hear is a beast..........although I'm happy to believe the well informed members on here who have stated a 5.8 TVS supercharged mill.

I see LLN also state 2014

Listen closely.......at .17 and .36 - you can hear the whine. Just keep replaying it.......LOUD!!!
Old 6/14/11, 03:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Maybe H.O. N/A 5.8?...
Old 6/14/11, 03:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't hear anything spooling or whining - sounds all N/A to me.

Are the front tires the same width as the rears? Those things seem pretty wide.
Old 6/14/11, 03:47 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
I don't really understand this argument.

Racing drivers drive on the edge 100% of the time. No matter what rear suspension type they have one thing remains true... they will always crash at one point or another!
Right.
Point is IRS is not the "magic handling cure-all" the mag rag hypsters and their minions make it out to be. There were a number of wipe outs caused when going over the curbs. Those wheels were still airborne and lost control. Nor did IRS help when the Audi went off the edge of the pavement and hit the wall.
Handling aside, adding the weak link of half shafts resulted in race day over for multiple teams.
IMO that's a wash between theoretical (handling) advantage and practical (weak link) disadvantage.
Ford has proven repeatedly that even with uneven surfaces, SRA traction can be maintained with proper suspension, weight transfer, tires - without problematic half shafts.
Old 6/14/11, 04:11 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
TBH, it doesn't really sound any different than my '11. Exhaust volume and tone sounds the same, and the one in the vid was never wound up far enough to hear much blower whine, which is minimal on mine as well until you get past 4000, and by that point the exhaust drowns much of it out.
Old 6/14/11, 04:25 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
TBH, it doesn't really sound any different than my '11. Exhaust volume and tone sounds the same, and the one in the vid was never wound up far enough to hear much blower whine, which is minimal on mine as well until you get past 4000, and by that point the exhaust drowns much of it out.
Yeah I thought yours was fairly quiet. Whammer's Super Snake is pretty loud in comparison.
Old 6/14/11, 04:26 PM
Cobra Member

Right.
Point is IRS is not the "magic handling cure-all" the mag rag hypsters and their minions make it out to be. There were a number of wipe outs caused when going over the curbs. Those wheels were still airborne and lost control. Nor did IRS help when the Audi went off the edge of the pavement and hit the wall.
Honestly I think it's absurd to even bring IRS into the equation re: keeping the wheels on the ground when attacking curbs. Especially the bit about the AUDI going off the pavement. How exactly is IRS supposed to help there? I don't see how this supports any pro-SRA argument at all because it has absolutely no relevance.

Handling aside, adding the weak link of half shafts resulted in race day over for multiple teams.
IMO that's a wash between theoretical (handling) advantage and practical (weak link) disadvantage.
Ford has proven repeatedly that even with uneven surfaces, SRA traction can be maintained with proper suspension, weight transfer, tires - without problematic half shafts.
Like I've said before, it's all a matter of designing a good system. Given the choice between a mediocre IRS and a good SRA I will take the SRA 100% of the time. Given the choice between a good IRS and good SRA setup, I'll take the IRS 100% of the time. I like the independent travel, the more precise control, and the added ability to adjust (camber, etc.). But that's just me. There is nothing wrong with an SRA setup, but I'd prefer a good IRS.

The thing the SRA crowd doesn't have going for them is the negative stigma. I spend a lot of time on my 370Z forum educating people on the handling prowess of the 5.0, ox-cart rear end and all. But in the end, that popular opinion will win out, and if Ford wants to keep advancing the Mustang it really has to setup up to an IRS.

The question is, can they do it right? I believe they can, and I really hope that they do.
Old 6/14/11, 04:32 PM
BOSS Member

Notice the Nurburgring track sticker on the back of the red car? Maybe a little jab at the Laguna Seca Boss?

Left Lane is a bunch of speculating mis-informed hacks.
Old 6/14/11, 04:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
Notice the Nurburgring track sticker on the back of the red car? Maybe a little jab at the Laguna Seca Boss?
I kind of doubt it. They sell those stickers everywhere. I see them on ze German cars around here all ze time.
Old 6/14/11, 04:45 PM
BOSS Member

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
I kind of doubt it. They sell those stickers everywhere. I see them on ze German cars around here all ze time.
You're missing my point.
Old 6/14/11, 04:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
You're missing my point.
No, I get the point. I just doubt that's why.
Old 6/14/11, 04:51 PM
GTR Member

The fact is, Ford is focusing on handling with the upcoming car, as evident by them taking it to the 'Ring and doing testing. That is good news for all Mustang owners and prospective buyers, as their findings will almost surely trickle down in future product.
Old 6/14/11, 04:53 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
The fact is, Ford is focusing on handling with the upcoming car, as evident by them taking it to the 'Ring and doing testing. That is good news for all Mustang owners and prospective buyers, as their findings will almost surely trickle down in future product.
I agree.

Knowing what Ford can do with the Brembo GT, the Boss 302, and the current GT500, I am very excited about the performance of future models.

Quick Reply: 2013 GT500 @ Nurburgring