Old 4/16/11, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2007 GT/CS
This on the Boss and CobraJet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El7Le_gcRNk

vs. this on the ZR1:
Performance Traction Management

Performance Traction Management (PTM) technology is an advanced system that is part of the ZR1’s Launch Control feature, which optimizes traction for greater and more consistent on-track performance.

The PTM system holds a predetermined engine speed while the driver pushes the throttle to the floor. That allows the driver to quickly release the clutch and the system modulates engine torque 100 times per second to maximize the available traction. The system is capable of approaching a skilled driver’s best effort and repeats it consistently.

PTM also integrates the ZR1’s traction control, active handling and selective ride control systems to enhance race track driving consistency and overall performance. When full throttle is applied upon exiting a corner, it automatically manages acceleration dynamics.
1. If that's what Ford is calling launch control, that's RETARDED.

2. Clearly the ZR1 is worth 110,000 if it's got (PTM) LOL
Old 4/17/11, 12:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Personally, I would not want launch control. I would rather have a good suspension that plants itself well when I let out the clutch. I want to have total control of how my car behaves.
Old 4/17/11, 01:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

1. If that's what Ford is calling launch control, that's RETARDED.
Agreed.

Race Start is where it's at.

Nissan's GTR system is garbage. It actually isn't even a "launch control" in the sense we believe it to be. It's to be used in bad weather so that the car can still perform. If used in the dry after X number of launches the car decides that it is time for a new transmission, to the tune of 22k - Warranty Voided.

Nissan's Press Release:

The GT-R Owner’s Manual expressly warns against driving with the VDC OFF (except to free the vehicle when stuck in mud or snow) to avoid damage. Repeated acceleration launches with VDC OFF have resulted in some reported instances of damage to the transaxle. Repairs for damage caused by driving with VDC OFF are expressly excluded under the terms of the Nissan GT-R New Car Limited Warranty… Except when stuck, there is no reason to drive with VDC OFF.
Old 4/17/11, 03:10 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
Personally, I would not want launch control. I would rather have a good suspension that plants itself well when I let out the clutch. I want to have total control of how my car behaves.
Why not have both?

I don't get why you're saying that having an adjustable rev limited for launch isn't considered launch control. Seems like you could eliminate some variance from the driver, which is a form of control.
Old 4/17/11, 06:42 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't get why anyone who wasn't a serious racer (getting payed) would want launch contol. It simply takes all the skill out of getting your car off the line. If the car will always get excellent traction and you can't possibly get it wrong cause the computer does all the work. what the hell fun is that?
Sorry but not for me.
Old 4/18/11, 12:44 AM
Cobra Member

Smile

I would rather Ford spend the money and install transmission temp gauge, fuel pressure gauge, and water pressure gauge. For those who want launch control, I suspect MSD has a plug in box for that. I would rather have gauges to monitor the vital functions of the car.
Old 4/18/11, 06:20 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost

Why not have both?

I don't get why you're saying that having an adjustable rev limited for launch isn't considered launch control. Seems like you could eliminate some variance from the driver, which is a form of control.
Does anyone think the launch control would even be usable at the drag strip? I've only seen on video on how it works and I'm trying to imagine the staging process while trying to set your rpms. Are you able to creep the car forward for final staging with the rpms set?
Old 4/18/11, 06:42 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I would rather Ford spend the money and install transmission temp gauge, fuel pressure gauge, and water pressure gauge. For those who want launch control, I suspect MSD has a plug in box for that. I would rather have gauges to monitor the vital functions of the car.
Ignition interupter rev/launch control systems are hard on the cats. I was looking at one for my car but ultimately decided against it since it would fry the catalytic converters. Its better to either cut fuel or modulate the throttle as opposed to cutting the spark whihc I think is beyond what most after market companies are willing to deal with.
Old 4/19/11, 09:19 PM
Cobra Member

Talking

Launch control appears to be a tool designed for the unskilled who want the car to make up for their lack of skill at properly launching a car. Who needs another costly electronic device ?
Old 4/19/11, 09:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Launch control appears to be a tool designed for the unskilled who want the car to make up for their lack of skill at properly launching a car. Who needs another costly electronic device ?
Whodini?
Old 4/19/11, 11:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by burningman
I don't get why anyone who wasn't a serious racer (getting payed) would want launch contol. It simply takes all the skill out of getting your car off the line. If the car will always get excellent traction and you can't possibly get it wrong cause the computer does all the work. what the hell fun is that?
Sorry but not for me.
Have you tried getting a GT500 off the line with the stock tires? It ain't easy...a little assistance would be nice. It's not like you are forced to use the feature. Hell I might as well get rid of power steering too.

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
Nissan's GTR system is garbage. It actually isn't even a "launch control" in the sense we believe it to be. It's to be used in bad weather so that the car can still perform. If used in the dry after X number of launches the car decides that it is time for a new transmission, to the tune of 22k - Warranty Voided.
2009 called and wants it's dated GT-R launch control stories back. The lack of launch control is what lets a GT-R kill a GT500. The trans issue is a non-issue on the GT-R and the 2012 version is even faster.

Last edited by bpmurr; 4/19/11 at 11:08 PM.
Old 4/19/11, 11:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by bpmurr

Have you tried getting a GT500 off the line with the stock tires? It ain't easy...a little assistance would be nice. It's not like you are forced to use the feature. Hell I might as well get rid of power steering too.

2009 called and wants it's dated GT-R launch control stories back. The lack of launch control is what lets a GT-R kill a GT500. The trans issue is a non-issue on the GT-R and the 2012 version is even faster.
It has nothing to do with the GT-r being just faster
Old 4/20/11, 04:46 PM
Cobra R Member

The fact the supercar for the masses had lack luster quality from the start is what the point is. They canned it in 2011 and then their "R-mode start" for 2012 is unproven. Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari, etc... superb launch programs.

In the world of launch control... Nissan . Is the gtr fast- yes, but that's not my point.
Old 4/21/11, 08:23 PM
V6 Member

Had a chevy cobalt SS (which had launch control) and never used it. Always seemed kinda like a paddle shifter option to me. If u truly enjoy driving a car, I don't want all kinds of crap interfering with MY input. First thing I do when I get into my mustang is turn all the traction control off!

For the person who wants assistance getting his stock tires to stick, a little practice will help, but ultimately a 500+ HP rear wheel drive car probably wasn't the smartest move for traction.

As for the GTR, u gotta hand it to Nissan for making such a capable vehicle, but that car seems absolutely passionless. It's ugly, nasty interior, and as a person who enjoys just about everything about driving, I've never felt more disconnected from the driving experience in a sporty car than when I'm behind the wheel of a GTR. I have a buddy with a GTR and we have gone cruising a few times and have switched cars a number of times. The GTR feels souless. I never ask to get behind the wheel of my friends GTR anymore. But he is always askin to drive my non launch control equipped Shelby.

The mustang is just a much more fun car! No need for launch control.
Old 4/22/11, 09:01 AM
Cobra R Member

For those bashing the launch control keep in mind it can be switched off. I look at it as something that helps you when needed but if your having fun without it no need to use it, but cars like 03-04 Cobra, 07-11 GT500 are very hard to launch smoothly. I'll admit I wouldn't mind having some kind of launch control on my 03 when I wanna look like a pro with amateur driving skill.

I think with the kind of power this car is rumored to be putting down it would be a benefit for Ford to put launch control in just for the sake of better performance numbers in the magazines. Look at what people are getting out of these 800HP Super Snakes.... Most of the time they run equal to or slower than a bone stock GT500 because of traction issues.

Last edited by 97GT03SVT; 4/22/11 at 09:03 AM.
Old 4/23/11, 10:24 PM
Cobra Member

Wink

Launch control should only be offered as an option. I certainly do not want to see the price of the GT500 increase because of more sophisticated electronic devices. I just want a GT500 with a powerfull engine,good brakes,all the possible gauges,and reasonable handling.
Old 4/24/11, 05:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Launch control should only be offered as an option. I certainly do not want to see the price of the GT500 increase because of more sophisticated electronic devices. I just want a GT500 with a powerfull engine,good brakes,all the possible gauges,and reasonable handling.

The best way to cut the price on the GT500 is to drop the Shelby name. I think it is kinda silly how a car that he has no involvement with still bares his name.
Old 4/24/11, 07:24 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Launch contro lis a hardware adpatation like no-lift shift. It just took some clever programing to make it all work. Rev matching I think is a bit more complicated (IIRC it was more than just some lines of code for Nissan.

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
The best way to cut the price on the GT500 is to drop the Shelby name. I think it is kinda silly how a car that he has no involvement with still bares his name.
Heh, Ford aint going back, the Shelby name opened the door for megabuck pony cars. If anything going back to Cobra will just increase Ford's profit margin on the top Mustang.

But that raises the question, how much does Shelby get per car? I know its more than would be normal (see GM's use of Trans Am) do to the low production volume.
Old 4/26/11, 11:52 AM

$ keeps old shell from hooking up with another car company...
Old 4/29/11, 03:09 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes i have and still wouldn't want it.
As for the Power steering..I'd be ok with that.
Each to his own I guess

Last edited by burningman; 4/29/11 at 03:13 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 GT500 Leaked Info