Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Warranty DENIED!

Search this Thread

Old 1/18/07, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thecarguy
Does anyone know of a mod-friendly dealer in So-Cal?

Question for those that installed their suspension...

What did you do for the nut on the end or the strut shaft and shock shaft? I had torque specs for it but the shaft just spins not allowing torque. I'm wondering if this could be my problem - that there is now little play on the shaft of the shocks and struts.

What do you think?
I would definitely try Galpin Ford and or give Galpin Auto Sports a call (I know there's a big smear campaign about them). They've worked on my car and the parts are covered under warranty (the dealer installed the parts). If you installed the parts on your own, no dealer will cover them, from my experience...

Dont know if they're close to you?
Old 1/18/07, 07:29 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by azoufan
Honey? Oh sorry, for a second there you sounded exactly like my wife.
Old 1/18/07, 07:37 PM

Yeah!!! Let's make fun of the noob…
Old 1/18/07, 09:47 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the TSB about the Upper Strut Bearing Mounts....

Go back to the dealer and tell them that there is a known problem with the Upper Strut Bearing Mounts popping. Tell them that you want them to be replaced under the TSB.

Easy as that.
Old 1/18/07, 09:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Ouch. I'm looking for a local mod-friendly dealer in North OC too. I tried Burch in La Habra and based on what the service manager said there is no-way I'd take my car to him. I know La Habra is out of reach compared to Costa Mesa, but just in case.

Sunset Ford might be OK. It's in Garbage Grove or there abouts and I'll have to find out. It's the closest dealer to you I can think of.
Old 1/19/07, 06:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
If the warranty is denied for this problem, then I recommend taking it to a good body shop or muffler place. They almost always do suspensions and are always cheaper than the dealer. Average dealer hourly rate: $70-95. Average body shop rate: $30-60. Believe me I know. I spun out last week and caused suspension damage when i hit a curb (it's in another thread) and i've been looking at dealers and body shops ever since
Old 1/19/07, 09:36 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by S197 GT
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the TSB about the Upper Strut Bearing Mounts....

Go back to the dealer and tell them that there is a known problem with the Upper Strut Bearing Mounts popping. Tell them that you want them to be replaced under the TSB.

Easy as that.
That was the first thing I told him when I brought the car in. When he called me back he seemed to dance around the topic when I brought it up. Basically saying it was not the problem - but not giving any proof because the guy did not look at it after he noticed after market suspension.

Does any one have a link to the TSB that I could print or email?
Old 1/19/07, 09:38 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by habu
Ouch. I'm looking for a local mod-friendly dealer in North OC too. I tried Burch in La Habra and based on what the service manager said there is no-way I'd take my car to him. I know La Habra is out of reach compared to Costa Mesa, but just in case.

Sunset Ford might be OK. It's in Garbage Grove or there abouts and I'll have to find out. It's the closest dealer to you I can think of.
Thanks, I'll have to look into it. And as for work outside of dealers - I'm all for it! I hate dealerships, but caved this time just to give it a shot.
Old 1/19/07, 11:47 AM
3rd Times A Charm

Worse case scenario, just buy the the Upper Strut Bearing Mounts, and install them your self. It's very easy.

This will be cheaper than paying them for the 2 hours they'll charge for a diagnosis.

Also, Steeda makes some heavy duty ones, that allow for Camber Adjustment.

The only time I go to the dealer, is to buy OEM parts...That's it. When I first bought my car I had them tint the windows as a contigency to buy.

I went in the shop while they installed the tint, and the Ford mechanics had a Next-Gen Saleen up on the lift, and the engine compartment caught on fire. Needless to say, they smacked the fire out with shop rags, and I hardly doubt they even mentioned it to the guy.

It's pretty hard watching the mechanics laughing when they catch someone's baby on fire!
Old 1/19/07, 06:37 PM
Cobra R Member

As long as the suspension isn't whats clunking or could have affected it the problem is covered according to my dealer
Old 1/20/07, 10:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

all it is is the strut caps. they are cheap and clunk badly. they also only cost about 15 bucks each. just fix it yourself and save the hassle.
Old 1/22/07, 10:19 AM

I usually get that clunking sound too, when making hard turns over bumps or curbs. Im running the same Eibach Pro Kit. If your saying its as simple as taking the front wheels off and replacing the strut caps and bearing mounts... Im definitely gonna do the repair soon.

I ran Eibachs back on my Cougar XR7 and had the same problem with clunking... but I also found out that Eibachs are the quickest to compress compared to other kits out there
Old 1/31/07, 06:32 AM

Your Warranty Rights

Sorry to hear about your warranty problems.

After reading your problems I just had to register to this forum and post my take on it.

Your rights in the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act are pretty strong, but the reality is that you have to be strong and smart about it in order to protect your rights.

I think your best resource for information on the Magnusson Moss warranty act is at SEMA's website. SEMA is the aftermarket trade association and almost all aftermarket and OEM car makers (including FoMoCo, as well as their FRPP subsidiary) are members and strong supporters of it.

Please click on the following link to read their comprehensive explanation:http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?ID=50096.

This will give you all the information you need to know as to your legal rights and the obligations of the local dealer and the best steps/tactics to resolve the problem in a reasonable manner. Some of the suggestions in prior posts are also contained in this outline.

Overall, you have to understand why some dealers, especially in Socal, are not as scrupulous as they should be. A dealer tech makes about $20-$30 an hour (chilton/shop manual hours, not actual hours). The dealership retail rate is $80-100 an hour. OEM warranty labor reimbursement rate is about $40-50 an hour. You can see why a dealer is tempted to try and bump you up to a non warranty repair, $$$$$$. When you think about the history of widespread ADM's by dealers then you can understand that many dealers, not all though, care more about making a quick buck than customer service/satisfaction and loyalty.

This doesn't mean that your suspension kit did not cause the problem, but it also means, per the magnusson moss warranty act, that they must diagnose the car first to find out what the problem is and what most likely caused it. This is especially true since there is a TSB out that outlines a "pattern failure". The Magnusson Moss Act has really nothing to do with what modification was installed and what needs to be repaired. It has to do with proper diagnosis and responsibility based on who/what caused the problem.

Luckily, you live in California. I know from personal experiences that California is great for consumer protections. This is why the dealer or any other auto repair shop in California cannot just take your car and then give you a huge bill without your authorization. And whatever amount they put on that estimate is the amount that they have to fix it for, and if the dealer/shop cannot fix it then they don't get paid a dime (not even for diagnosis/misdiagnosis). If you lived in lets say Georgia, not to trash Georgia, they don't have those consumer protections. I know because I had an elderly relative in Georgia get taken for over $3,000 in repairs to a taurus that would barely run and the franchised shop said that they couldn't help him anymore and wanted to get paid before they would give him the keys. Their initial diagnosis and estimate was about $1,000 and they never called him to confirm the extra charges (which they don't have to do under GA law). The estimate is GA is not a binding contract like it is CA. So consider your consumer protections in California when working with a dealer/independent shop on any service work.

Just as an FYI, Ford Racing Performance Parts just released a Ford Motor Company warranty for the M-2005-FR3 Handling Pack, the Power Pack (not the drag pack or supercharger pack), their x-pipe, and their hurst short throw shifter. You can find out the details here: http://www.fordracingparts.com/announcements/news47.asp. This new warranty program allows the parts to be installed by any Ford Dealer and allows your modifications to be listed in OASIS sp?(the ford service database).

I knew this was coming after speaking with the management at Ford Racing during SEMA and it makes sense since these same parts were installed by Shelby on the GT-H and GT's coming out which have full factory warranties.

My point regarding dealers blanketly denying warranties for things like computer tuning, suspension, and driveline upgrades is supported by this change with Ford Racing. How can Ford dealers sell cars new with these parts and then say that any modifications like this are automatically voiding your warranty on that repair. The answer is they cannot and for the most part Ford Motor Company is not. Frankly, the franchised dealers are the ones that have the majority of discretion and are the ones causing the customer headaches. Dealer discretion is so broad that they even have what's called "good will" warranty discretion to repair issues, even after the warranty period ended. It's kind of like how the police officer has discretion whether or not they want to write you a speeding ticket or let you off with a warning.

Furthermore, SEMA currently has a pilot program going on that will hopefully resolve these issues once and for all. The pilot program consists of a backup warranty that each aftermarket parts manufacture buys into and it takes into affect when the factory warranty is denied. This is still a pilot program but is expected to revolutionize the industry when it goes live nationwide. Ford Motor Company is also engaging in another SEMA program called Tech Transfer where it distributes the engineering specs and even computer calibrations (this is just started to happen) to aftermarket manufactures so that the performance accessories can be made better and easier than reverse engineering and usually this means that parts are made for the new vehicle before it is even released (think about how parts for the S-197 were ready to ship before the cars were). It also makes the vehicles more attractive to the consumer knowing that there are aftermarket parts available to customize their vehicle.

Wow, this is long email. But I just had to say my 2000 cents on this because I deal with it all day long and I am hoping that empowered consumers can change the warranty myth/fear that dealerships have used to make it seem mainstream/expected that their warranty is voided automatically. Anyways, good luck with everything.
Old 2/6/07, 11:41 PM
GT Member

Wow, thanks for the long but informative reply!

For those that may be wondering, I decided to leave that dealership once and for all. Went home that weekend and located the problem on my own. It was the factory bracket that mounts the factory front swaybar to the frame - on e of the bolts came loose. I re-torqued and noise gone.

I do however have a weird squeaky noise coming from the rear now at low speads. Back under the car this weekend I guess.

F-U Theodore Robins Ford!
Old 2/7/07, 11:54 AM

Glad to hear you found the problem yourself.

Just to let you know, Eibach makes the springs for the Ford Racing handling pack that is warranteed now by all Ford Dealers. And the Steeda intake is also said to be identical to the Ford Racing Cold Air intake and the Short throw shifter is the same one that can be purchased separately from Hurst.

It is going to be harder for dealers to keep pulling this b.s. but it is up to us, the consumers, to call them on it, especially when there are TSB printouts in hand. I hope you get an oil change or some minor repair like tire rotation with them and then give them a terrible CSI survey.

Believe it or not a bad CSI survey really counts with the FoMoCo rep in the area.
Old 2/7/07, 05:54 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by thecarguy
Wow, thanks for the long but informative reply!

For those that may be wondering, I decided to leave that dealership once and for all. Went home that weekend and located the problem on my own. It was the factory bracket that mounts the factory front swaybar to the frame - on e of the bolts came loose. I re-torqued and noise gone.

I do however have a weird squeaky noise coming from the rear now at low speads. Back under the car this weekend I guess.

F-U Theodore Robins Ford
!
Old 2/8/07, 09:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2006TungstenGT
Glad to hear you found the problem yourself.

Just to let you know, Eibach makes the springs for the Ford Racing handling pack that is warranteed now by all Ford Dealers. And the Steeda intake is also said to be identical to the Ford Racing Cold Air intake and the Short throw shifter is the same one that can be purchased separately from Hurst.

It is going to be harder for dealers to keep pulling this b.s. but it is up to us, the consumers, to call them on it, especially when there are TSB printouts in hand. I hope you get an oil change or some minor repair like tire rotation with them and then give them a terrible CSI survey.

Believe it or not a bad CSI survey really counts with the FoMoCo rep in the area.
I would not use them for anything and that includes oil changes. I need to find a better dealer.