The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Repair and Service Help (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f739/)
-   -   Warranty DENIED! (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f739/warranty-denied-446361/)

thecarguy 1/18/07 10:49 AM

Warranty DENIED!

Ok, took my car in this morning to the dealer for suspension clunk/pop from the front and a clunk in the rear this morning. I have Eibach Pro-kit and Tokico D-Specs on it and because of this I just received a call and they said they can't do anything because of my modified suspension. I went around and around in circles, mentioned the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, etc. The tech did not try to find the problem because of it.

He said I would get charged for them to look for the problem and then if it is not the aftermarket parts I would be covered (I think this is what he said). I told him the way it is supposed to be is that, they need to figure out what the problem is no-charge under warranty and if it is my parts - warranty is denied.

Is this not correct?? What should I do? I am very frustrated right now and hate re-thinking my purchase of the car. Please help me out. Is there anything I can email him to help my case?

classj 1/18/07 11:09 AM

To be truthfull. What I would consider fair would be the following.

If you want them to diagnose/fix the car, if I were them ,I would expect you to agree to the following.

-They diagnose the problem. If it is not a problem caused by the aftermarket part, they cover the repair as per Magnuson-Moss act.

-If it is truly a problem that the aftermarket part created, you agree to at the very least pay their hourly rate for the diagnosis. Or if you want it fixed, you pay whatever the bill comes to.

I don't see how it can get any fairer than that. I would not expect them to diagnose the car for free if the modifications caused the problem. Ford will not pay them for the hour due to the mods, so that means you fit the bill.

Giddyup 1/18/07 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by thecarguy (Post 822792)
Ok, took my car in this morning to the dealer for suspension clunk/pop from the front and a clunk in the rear this morning. I have Eibach Pro-kit and Tokico D-Specs on it and because of this I just received a call and they said they can't do anything because of my modified suspension. I went around and around in circles, mentioned the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, etc. The tech did not try to find the problem because of it.

He said I would get charged for them to look for the problem and then if it is not the aftermarket parts I would be covered (I think this is what he said). I told him the way it is supposed to be is that, they need to figure out what the problem is no-charge under warranty and if it is my parts - warranty is denied.

Is this not correct?? What should I do? I am very frustrated right now and hate re-thinking my purchase of the car. Please help me out. Is there anything I can email him to help my case?

Greg, do you have another service dept. close by that you could switch to on this problem? I would think that they would look at the car under warranty at your existing shop without charge, but whether or not they are obligated to do so I do not know.

Giddyup 1/18/07 11:15 AM

This is one of the reasons I do not mod cars while they are still under warranty. Have at it when the warranty expires, but you're rolling the dice doing it within that 3 year 36,000 (or later under extended).

thecarguy 1/18/07 11:17 AM

Classj - that does sound more than fair, I will look into that.

Giddyup - I do sort of, but It would be a pain in the arse at this point. They gave me a rental and all.

thecarguy 1/18/07 12:56 PM

Does anyone know of a mod-friendly dealer in So-Cal?

Question for those that installed their suspension...

What did you do for the nut on the end or the strut shaft and shock shaft? I had torque specs for it but the shaft just spins not allowing torque. I'm wondering if this could be my problem - that there is now little play on the shaft of the shocks and struts.

What do you think?

TMSBrad 1/18/07 12:58 PM

There is a recall out on Eibach springs.

CERTAIN AFTERMARKET EIBACH BRANDED FRONT STRUTS ONLY, PART NO. 35101.8001, AND EIBACH BRANDED FRONT STRUTS AS SUSPENSION KITS, PART NOS. 35101.840, 35101.680, 35101.780, 35100.680, 35100.780, 4.10135.680, AND 4.10035.780, SOLD FOR USE ON 2005 THROUGH 2007 FORD MUSTANG VEHICLES. THE FRONT ANTI ROLL BAR ATTACHMENT BRACKET ON THE FRONT STRUT CAN SEPARATE FROM THE STRUT HOUSING DUE TO INCONSISTENT WELDING. THIS COULD RESULT IN A CLUNKING NOISE AND OR POOR HANDLING IN EXTREME OR EMERGENCY MANEUVERS. Consequence: IF THE BROKEN BRACKET CONTACTS THE TIRE, SIDEWALL DAMAGE CAN OCCUR, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A VEHICLE CRASH. Remedy: EIBACH WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND OFFER TO PROVIDE NEW STRUTS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON DECEMBER 1, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT EIBACH AT 951-256-8300. Notes: THIS RECALL ONLY PERTAINS TO AFTERMARKET EIBACH BRANDED FRONT STRUTS AND SUSPENSION KITS AND HAS NO RELATION TO ANY ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT INSTALLED ON FORD MUSTANG GT VEHICLES MANUFACTURED BY FORD MOTOR COMPANY. CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV

freebass55 1/18/07 01:02 PM

Out of curiosity, which dealer?

TillmanSpeed 1/18/07 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by classj (Post 822809)

If you want them to diagnose/fix the car, if I were them ,I would expect you to agree to the following.

-They diagnose the problem. If it is not a problem caused by the aftermarket part, they cover the repair as per Magnuson-Moss act.

-If it is truly a problem that the aftermarket part created, you agree to at the very least pay their hourly rate for the diagnosis. Or if you want it fixed, you pay whatever the bill comes to.

I don't see how it can get any fairer than that. I would not expect them to diagnose the car for free if the modifications caused the problem. Ford will not pay them for the hour due to the mods, so that means you fit the bill.

+1, and if they don't do anything about it, find another dealership. When you find the other dealership call and ask for the SERVICE MANAGER and explain the exact situation and let him know what you want done. Tell him that if they find the problem to be an aftermarket part, you'll pay for the labor. Otherwise, it's under warranty, plain and simple.

CR
Tillman Speed

kevinb120 1/18/07 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by classj (Post 822809)

Isn't that the exact option the dealer mentioned in the first place? Charge if its aftermarket, dont if its not??

Looks like Brad's recall info too may be the problem. Did it clunk before the springs were added?

I don't understand why he's making it hard on himself?? You think a trained technician takes stuff apart and looks at it for free? If you had just dropped the car off it would of been sorted out already. If it was your fault for modding the car you would pay the 80-90 bucks for a diagonostics fee and go from there(they roll that fee into a repair ticket). I don't get it. It's the dealers fault??

thecarguy 1/18/07 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by kevinb120 (Post 822934)
Isn't that the exact option the dealer mentioned in the first place? Charge if its aftermarket, dont if its not??

Looks like Brad's recall info too may be the problem. Did it clunk before the springs were added?

I don't understand why he's making it hard on himself?? You think a trained technician takes stuff apart and looks at it for free? If you had just dropped the car off it would of been sorted out already. If it was your fault for modding the car you would pay the 80-90 bucks for a diagonostics fee and go from there(they roll that fee into a repair ticket). I don't get it. It's the dealers fault??

HMMM, when and where did I say it's the dealers fault? You must be referring to someone else.

As for the Eibach thing - that looks like its' for struts. I have Tokico D-Spec.

The dealer is Theodore Robins Ford - Costa mesa.

kevinb120 1/18/07 02:03 PM

Did you find out yet what the noise is from? Did it show up before or after the springs were put in?

Tres Wright 1/18/07 02:06 PM

In this case since your mod's have a strong likelihood of having caused (or at least influenced) the problem, I'd say the dealership's offer is completely reasonable. All the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act says is if you have modified something on your car, the dealership cannot render the ENTIRE warranty null and void. In other words, if you modify your suspension and subsequently have an engine problem, they cannot refuse to repair your engine under warranty because the suspension mod's are unrelated. In your case you have a suspension problem and you have modified your suspension, so the dealership is taking an acceptable stance.

thecarguy 1/18/07 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by kevinb120 (Post 822960)
Did you find out yet what the noise is from? Did it show up before or after the springs were put in?

It happened about 4500 miles after putting in the new suspension.

thecarguy 1/18/07 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tres Wright (Post 822964)
In this case since your mod's have a strong likelihood of having caused (or at least influenced) the problem, I'd say the dealership's offer is completely reasonable. All the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act says is if you have modified something on your car, the dealership cannot render the ENTIRE warranty null and void. In other words, if you modify your suspension and subsequently have an engine problem, they cannot refuse to repair your engine under warranty because the suspension mod's are unrelated. In your case you have a suspension problem and you have modified your suspension, so the dealership is taking an acceptable stance.

I agree, if this is what he said. I don't remember exactly what he was saying. I'm still waiting to hear back.

LEO_06GT 1/18/07 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by thecarguy (Post 822913)
Does anyone know of a mod-friendly dealer in So-Cal?

Question for those that installed their suspension...

What did you do for the nut on the end or the strut shaft and shock shaft? I had torque specs for it but the shaft just spins not allowing torque. I'm wondering if this could be my problem - that there is now little play on the shaft of the shocks and struts.

What do you think?

Not sure where in Socal your at but I've heard Bob Baker Ford in SD is mod friendly.

05GT-O.C.D. 1/18/07 03:50 PM

He said I would get charged for them to look for the problem and then if it is not the aftermarket parts I would be covered (I think this is what he said).

Sounds fair to me. It sounds to me like they're doing the right thing by warning you ahead of time instead of handing you a bill when you pick your car up.

metroplex 1/18/07 03:52 PM

Having the warranty denied is always a risk when modifying the car. :(

thecarguy 1/18/07 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT (Post 823020)
Not sure where in Socal your at but I've heard Bob Baker Ford in SD is mod friendly.

I've heard the same thing but it's about an hour from me.

azoufan 1/18/07 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Giddyup (Post 822817)
This is one of the reasons I do not mod cars while they are still under warranty. Have at it when the warranty expires, but you're rolling the dice doing it within that 3 year 36,000 (or later under extended).

Honey? Oh sorry, for a second there you sounded exactly like my wife. :jester: