Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

TPMS fault (can too much air cause fault code)

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/10, 06:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New winter tires.

I installed 2 Blizzak LM-60 on rear. Any experience with 235/50 18 Bridgestones. Thanks
Attached Images     

Last edited by 2005GTDELUXE; 10/9/10 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10/10/10, 12:47 PM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Might just need to wand the tires with the tool unless they broke one puting the tires on the rims, come to think of it, they didnt replace your valve stems did they??
Old 10/10/10, 01:18 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With respect to the tires, you WILL wear through them very quickly if you get on the gas at all. I am not sure what you have on the front, but the Blizzaks are very squishy compared to most tires, you could expect the car to be quite loose on dry pavement if you don't have comparable tires on the front.
Old 10/10/10, 07:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks for the replies. The guy put 40lbs in the new back tires. Max load is 50 so I added 10. That is when the TPMS started faulting.

Originally Posted by KdF
Might just need to wand the tires with the tool unless they broke one puting the tires on the rims, come to think of it, they didnt replace your valve stems did they??
Wand the tires with a tool that will tell me if the tpms is working?

I don't know if one got damaged during the Blizzaks install. I went to have tires put on at my Ford but they were 6 weeks out on oem all season Bridgestone.

Originally Posted by PTRocks
With respect to the tires, you WILL wear through them very quickly if you get on the gas at all. I am not sure what you have on the front, but the Blizzaks are very squishy compared to most tires, you could expect the car to be quite loose on dry pavement if you don't have comparable tires on the front.
This is very true. My 3.31's spin me in first and second with these tires. They are VERY loose. I was wondering if they were defective because I never felt that so bad. I have the stock Bridgestone KDWS all seasons on front.
Old 10/10/10, 07:38 PM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2005GTDELUXE
Thanks for the replies. The guy put 40lbs in the new back tires. Max load is 50 so I added 10. That is when the TPMS started faulting.

Wand the tires with a tool that will tell me if the tpms is working?

I don't know if one got damaged during the Blizzaks install. I went to have tires put on at my Ford but they were 6 weeks out on oem all season Bridgestone.

A wand from the Dealer, or even buy one (not too expensive) resets the TPS to the Computer if they have been changed or reset.
You DO NOT put 50 lbs in the tires. Use what the Door Jamb says. 32 should be it. I would have waited.
Old 10/10/10, 08:47 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
I'd be really careful putting that much air in a OEM (chinese) cast aluminum wheel...at 50 psi and 18" bead diameter thats 12,700 pounds of force trying to pull that casting in half...thats a very hard tire at that pressure and the wheel will be overstressed - hit a chuckhole at that might make for a very bad day...the max inflation rate on the door is probably for the tire AND wheel ratings...you could put a 18 ply truck tire on there but it would likely rip the rim flange off the wheel way before 100 psi...just a opinion...
Old 10/11/10, 10:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does the TPMS system actually measure air pressure or simply tire revs. If the latter, anything you do which introduces uneven wheel rotation would set them off. That being unequal tire pressure or unequal tire sizes as far as diameter goes.
Old 10/11/10, 01:30 PM
KdF
Bullitt Member

It only measures Tire Pressure, hence the TPMS , or Tire Pressure Monitoring System. It will even go off if your spare has one and it gets low.
Old 10/11/10, 02:37 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs down

50lbs. ???
Where the heck did you get the idea that that should be done????
Max load inflation?
Think about this;
What will the pressure be after a half hour of driving?
This is very true. My 3.31's spin me in first and second with these tires. They are VERY loose. I was wondering if they were defective because I never felt that so bad. I have the stock Bridgestone KDWS all seasons on front.
At max inflation pressure, my 4 cylinder truck could spin tires all day long.
Good Gravy man, what the heck were you thinking.
Old 10/11/10, 08:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by karman
50lbs. ???
Where the heck did you get the idea that that should be done????
Max load inflation?
Think about this;
What will the pressure be after a half hour of driving?

At max inflation pressure, my 4 cylinder truck could spin tires all day long.
Good Gravy man, what the heck were you thinking.
call it a brain freeze and slow thaw - I wanted to see what a very firm ride is like. I lowered the pressure this morning before heading out.

The dang TPMS fault is still coming on every time. I need to get it checked out. It is in one of the new tires. The TPMS worked fine before I bought the new tires. I am sure they will not take responsibility for it. I miss my Steeda wheels already.
Old 10/14/10, 04:54 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
call it a brain freeze and slow thaw - I wanted to see what a very firm ride is like. I lowered the pressure this morning before heading out.

The dang TPMS fault is still coming on every time. I need to get it checked out. It is in one of the new tires. The TPMS worked fine before I bought the new tires. I am sure they will not take responsibility for it. I miss my Steeda wheels already.
*if* they trip on over pressure, you might need to deflate below the low pressure threshold to reset it before setting correct pressure...I think ford just has a hard contact pressure switch(wifes avalanche has analog- tells you what tire/what PSI)
Old 10/14/10, 03:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ford4v429
*if* they trip on over pressure, you might need to deflate below the low pressure threshold to reset it before setting correct pressure...I think ford just has a hard contact pressure switch(wifes avalanche has analog- tells you what tire/what PSI)

Thank you, I will try this.