Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Top End Noisy

Search this Thread

Old 5/15/12, 11:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Top End Noisy

Guys and Gals, I've noticed over the past few months a distinct ticking sound coming from the top end of my 2006 Mustang GT (yes, louder than usual). Now the car isn't throwing any codes and the performance doesn't appear to have declined.

Based on the sound, my first assumption was a blown header gasket. So I replaced both gaskets but that didn't change the sound. My next guess was a dirty fuel injector so I had a fuel injector service performed but that also didn't solve the problem. I even thought maybe one of the MSD coil packs was failing so I put the original coil packs back on but this too didn't solve the issue.

If I didn't know better it almost sounds like the oil system isn't presurizing properly, but as I said the oil pressure reads good and there are no codes being thrown.

If anyone has any additional thoughts on what it couild be, I'd appreciate the insight. I'm really reluctant to take it back to Ford given the various modifications that have been performed over the years. Thanks.
Old 5/15/12, 11:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Is the sound intermittant or constant? When warm,cold or all the time?
Old 5/15/12, 11:22 PM
Bullitt Member

All the time. Can hear it best when at lower RPMs but thats mainly due to the SLP Loudmouth exhaust system...hehehe
Old 5/16/12, 12:43 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 351pony
If anyone has any additional thoughts on what it couild be, I'd appreciate the insight. I'm really reluctant to take it back to Ford given the various modifications that have been performed over the years. Thanks.
If you're out of warranty it shouldn't matter.

I've read about rattle noise from piston slap and chain rattle from worn tensioners. Is it pronounced under one cam cover more than the other? I've also read of failed finger followers but that should be easy to isolate.
Old 5/16/12, 01:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes the tick is definitely greater on the drivers side. Is this something that can be fixed at home or best to have a professional look at it. As for my concern with the dealer, the car is out of warranty but I I've heard stories of service techs overriding custom tunes and/or removing performance parts in an attempt to return it back to stock spec...hehehe Being on a first name basis with good ole Murphy, I try and error on the sid eof caution with dealers.
Old 5/16/12, 02:09 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 351pony
Yes the tick is definitely greater on the drivers side. Is this something that can be fixed at home or best to have a professional look at it. As for my concern with the dealer, the car is out of warranty but I I've heard stories of service techs overriding custom tunes and/or removing performance parts in an attempt to return it back to stock spec...hehehe Being on a first name basis with good ole Murphy, I try and error on the sid eof caution with dealers.
If its under the cam cover - vs the front cover where the chain tensioners are, you could take a cam cover off to see if a finger follower is collapsing or worn out.
Do you have a stethascope to first check? Or the old long handled screwdriver from the cam cover to the ear trick?
If it is a problem with a finger follower you would have to take the cam out.

Attached Images  
Old 5/16/12, 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks CDYNACO, I'll pop off the cam cover and check. If its a finger which necessitates removing the cam then I might as well upgrade to the hot cams while I'm in there.
Old 5/16/12, 05:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would check to see if you have a LOOSE SPARKPLUG!! I have seen this before.
Old 5/16/12, 07:42 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by tacbear
I would check to see if you have a LOOSE SPARKPLUG!! I have seen this before.
You know, I remember reading that a few times...
Old 5/18/12, 12:18 PM
Cobra Member

I had these exact symptoms, was a slightly loose spark plug.