Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Rattles database

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/08, 07:12 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Anyone heard of a steering wheel rattle. Last night i discovered with the car off that if I turn the steering wheel about a quarter turn it sounds like there is something loose inside. It doesn't bother me, but is that safe. Should it sound like a baby's toy?

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 7/3/08 at 07:13 PM.
Old 7/8/08, 08:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read about that. Do a search for "marbles in steering wheel".

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Anyone heard of a steering wheel rattle. Last night i discovered with the car off that if I turn the steering wheel about a quarter turn it sounds like there is something loose inside. It doesn't bother me, but is that safe. Should it sound like a baby's toy?
Old 7/9/08, 02:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone have a rubbing/squeaking sound coming from the drivers window when it's in the up position?
Much worse when it's cold out. I do have a Vert, so I'm not sure if it's just the nature of the beast, but it is very annoying as when the wife rides with me she wants the top up and the AC on, it's pretty hot here now in NJ.
Anyone, Anyone... Fry... Fry
LJS
Old 7/13/08, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Anonimac
I have several rattles in my car...just yesterday i finally figured out that one of them is coming from the rectangular IUP panel right in front of the passanger above the glove box. The slightest bit of pressure makes it go away...it's a very high pitched squeel as if you were rubbing who pieces of styrofoam together.

Anyone else experience this problem? Anyone have a fix?

MUCH appreciated...

Thanks you.
I too have this same squeak, Its not the A Pillar or radio bracket TSB either. My noise also stops with the slightest touch, its very annoying. I was told spraying some silicone lubricant in the seam of the pass airbag might help but i have not yet tried it. Anyone know of another fix?
Old 7/26/08, 08:09 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Originally Posted by moc1976
Just wondering if anyone else has the same issue as my latest emerging rattle noise. I can now hear a plastic sounding rattle in the steering wheel. Sort of like a small piece of plastic broke off somewhere inside and everytime I turn the wheel, I hear it rattle around (think PS2 controller that's been dropped too many times).

The best part is the dealer I bought from didn't hear anything "abnormal". They must send these guys to the same school for how to deny warranty claims I told them I'd never be back, so now I'm off to the next dealer to see if they will replace/fix.

DUDE!!! I have the same thing!! I took it into the dealer and he rejected my warranty claim and blamed it on my suspension! ARGH!!

I am too chicken to take my wheel off to see what's going on...

Kristina
Old 10/25/08, 10:37 PM

Squeaky Side Mirror

Has anyone had this? My drivers side mirror squeeks, you can make it do this by pushing on the plastic a little bit. Its like something inside the shell is rubbing against another part.
Old 11/21/08, 04:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Buddy
Has anyone had this? My drivers side mirror squeeks, you can make it do this by pushing on the plastic a little bit. Its like something inside the shell is rubbing against another part.
LOL - I just noticed the same squeak and came in to do a search here!

Looks like we'll be searching elsewhere. If you find anything, let me know. I'll do the same.
Old 11/21/08, 09:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Mirror squeak: I'm gonna take mine apart and let you all know soonest I can.

/heard your mom's goin out with SQUEAK!
Old 1/11/09, 02:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rondosa
DUDE!!! I have the same thing!! I took it into the dealer and he rejected my warranty claim and blamed it on my suspension! ARGH!!

I am too chicken to take my wheel off to see what's going on...

Kristina
I had this on my '05.

Check the little blank button outside the cruise control on/off switch. Mine was moving around visibly.
I don't know, yours could be any of these little plastic buttons somewhere on the wheel, just check them all.
Old 1/12/09, 02:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
For the mirror problem: check out this thread. We all had a problem with the driver side mirror.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=452107
Old 9/11/09, 06:43 AM
Pov

I seem to be getting a rattling noise from the frame of my convertible top (2008) when I go over bumps. Seems to be coming from the driver's side somewhere around where the front and back windows meet up. At first I thought one of the windows was loose but they seem pretty tight, so now I am thinking it may be the frame. Anyone dealt with this before?
Old 9/24/09, 11:23 AM
Bullitt Member

POV,
I have the same sound and my car is a hard top. It sends me up the roof. I hear it when just cruising around. I had the door pannel and a-pillar tsb fixed but this one still lingers around.

Last edited by GONE_N_60; 9/24/09 at 11:25 AM.
Old 9/24/09, 12:42 PM
Pov

Originally Posted by GONE_N_60
POV,
I have the same sound and my car is a hard top. It sends me up the roof. I hear it when just cruising around. I had the door pannel and a-pillar tsb fixed but this one still lingers around.
Which one is the door panel TSB?
Old 9/24/09, 02:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Pov
Which one is the door panel TSB?
It was this annoying rattle that would make itself know when the sound system was on. It was somewhere inside the pannel itself.

But this new one that you are deisribing is absolutely killing me.
Old 10/26/09, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Hate to bump an old post like this but I have a extremely annoying clicking noises coming from my convertible top. I only hear it on bumpy roads and on the interstate, and it sounds like it is coming from where my top meets the top of the window. I thought it was my latches but I had my girlfriend ride with me and she said it sounds like it is coming from the a pillar, so I really don't know where it is exactly. I have done some searching to see if it could be a TSB issue but it seems to not be a issue on the 08's. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10/28/09, 06:45 AM
Pov

Originally Posted by 1QIKPNY
Hate to bump an old post like this but I have a extremely annoying clicking noises coming from my convertible top. I only hear it on bumpy roads and on the interstate, and it sounds like it is coming from where my top meets the top of the window. I thought it was my latches but I had my girlfriend ride with me and she said it sounds like it is coming from the a pillar, so I really don't know where it is exactly. I have done some searching to see if it could be a TSB issue but it seems to not be a issue on the 08's. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Try this. Open the top all the way, then close it. BUT, instead of holding the close button down past the point where the top is fully closed. Let it go just before hand, so that you need just a little bit of effort to seat the top in the latches to close them. Then see if the clicking noise goes away. This works for me; seems that the extra tension stops whatever is causing the clicking noise, but I still have the rattling from the front window or maybe the A-Pillar.
Old 10/30/09, 08:19 AM
Bullitt Member

I actually have tried that and still no luck. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 11/10/09, 03:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 1QIKPNY
I actually have tried that and still no luck. Thanks for the suggestion though.
I had this fixed at the dealer yesterday.

It was both of the upper window regulators. They were both loose and backing off of the threads. Try that out on your tech. They fixed it in less than an hour.
Old 12/12/09, 06:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
If the rattles bother you, turn up the radio or turn down your windows LOL.
Old 1/21/10, 05:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
guys I have a rattling problem its pissing me off I dont wanna pay ford $80 just so they can tie up 2 wires tighter

when the gear is in Drive and my foot is on the brake stopped, you can hear something hitting something right below the center of the flat size of the dashboard, once u hit the gas its goes away because the 2 things dont make contact at high speeds..

anybody had this?
Attached Thumbnails Rattles database-mmfp_0808_06_z-2008_ford_mustang_gt_convertible-interior_dash.jpg  

Quick Reply: Rattles database