Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Rattles database

Old 10/11/07, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gt 07

IN THE WINDOW BUTTONS, OR SOMETHING ON THE DOOR...
Old 10/12/07, 12:12 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by focusharley
IN THE WINDOW BUTTONS, OR SOMETHING ON THE DOOR...
It's the plastic trim piece by the handle and or the trim peice around the door pull.
Get some foam at pep boys, remove, insert, install.
Old 10/12/07, 01:40 PM

How are you guys finding rattles? I have a rattle that comes from somewhere between the radio/center console area and the passenger side door. But I only hear it occasionally when I'm driving 20-50mph.

Do you get a friend to drive while you crawl around looking for rattles? Or what? I tried moving my head around in the passenger side while driving and man, moving your head around while not looking at the road is pretty **** disorienting! What does everyone else do?
Old 10/12/07, 04:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

In the past, I used a stethoscope (available at Pep Boys, etc.). It didn't help in the Mustang, but I had used it previously (and successfully) in another car.
Old 10/12/07, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by davisinla
In the past, I used a stethoscope (available at Pep Boys, etc.). It didn't help in the Mustang, but I had used it previously (and successfully) in another car.
That's a really good idea.. I'll try that.
Old 10/26/07, 03:47 PM

Hi !

I have a rattle in the passenger seat, at the base of the seat which sounds like metal pieces having a vibration rattle together. I think this is coming from the rail of the seat, but I am not sure.... does anyone has this and know how to fix this ?
Old 10/28/07, 05:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by neil07gt
I have a rattle that appears to be coming from inside the center stack maybe behind the AC *****. Actually, the rattle is more of a buzz like a really thin piece of metal vibrating behind the center stack. I tried to putting pressure on each **** and trim piece and at various points on the center stack to better locate the source, but no such luck.
I think I may have this exact same rattle. Seems to always do it now when I reach about 3000 RPMs. Did you ever find a solution to this or what was causing it? I was thinking it was my exhaust causing the rattle but now after reading this it sounds like the exact same thing I am having.
Old 11/4/07, 12:14 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Try sliding your passenger seat back and forth until it locks into place. I adjusted my passenger seat once and started hearing a metal rattle. After re-adjusting the seat, the rattle disappeared. I have a manual passenger seat (no adjustments other than the rail slider).
Old 11/10/07, 09:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I had to ty-rap the slide rail cable slightly to keep it from rattling against, I think I remember, a seat spring. Also adjusting the seat as metroplex suggested worked as well.
Old 11/10/07, 09:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
How are you guys finding rattles? I have a rattle that comes from somewhere between the radio/center console area and the passenger side door. But I only hear it occasionally when I'm driving 20-50mph.

After removing the glove box and looking up under the dash, I found the plastic pivot slot areas where the air bag door opens rattles/ticks. I just stuffed little pieces of felt into each slot just enough to keep the plastic door from 'ticking" in the steel slot. I didn't want to impede the operation of the air bag.

I also found the heater fan motor plastic connector, not the terminals, was quite loose in the socket so I stuffed just a little felt into the connectors lock clip so when installed the felt takes up the locks looseness.
Old 11/11/07, 05:07 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I have the nastiest rattle coming from the passenger side area. It *seems* like it is something in the door but I cannot isolate it. Sometimes the drone from my Violators will start rattling something on the driver's side (A-pillar???)
Old 11/11/07, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

The only issue I had with the passenger door was a ty-rap holding the power window cable was too loose. It's not meant to be pulled tight so the cable will flex freely so I just snugged it up a bit. Note; It's a pain removing the doors watershield as the tar doesn't want to let go at times and the plastic watershield stretches to the point of tearing. Be patient and careful if removing.
Old 12/10/07, 05:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got the dash top/instrument cluster rattle REALLY bad in the cold. It's driving me nuts. I put some felt in between the dash top and the Ipanel and it seemed to help for a bit, but it's back.
Old 1/8/08, 09:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by moc1976
Just wondering if anyone else has the same issue as my latest emerging rattle noise. I can now hear a plastic sounding rattle in the steering wheel. Sort of like a small piece of plastic broke off somewhere inside and everytime I turn the wheel, I hear it rattle around (think PS2 controller that's been dropped too many times).

The best part is the dealer I bought from didn't hear anything "abnormal". They must send these guys to the same school for how to deny warranty claims I told them I'd never be back, so now I'm off to the next dealer to see if they will replace/fix.
I just wanted to provide an update on my issue. I took it to another dealer/service center, and they said the noise is from pieces that must have broken off of the steering wheel mounted controls.

The ordered the parts and the fix should be done today. Gladly it was covered on the warranty. Now if I could just get rid of the dash squeaks and rattles
Old 1/19/08, 09:28 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a rattel that happens anytime you arent coasting absically. It is the panel of the IUP aluminum looking stuff between the driver side vent and the door. If I push my finger onto the dash in the area the rattle goes away. Has anyone had this problem? I couldnt tell if people were talking about this. It is not the pillar or behind the center stack.
Old 1/21/08, 09:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cured my center-stack rattle last night.

I applied the worm clamps to the exhaust hangers per the TSB, but no change in rattle was observed.

Removed the top portion of the center console. (Same procedure used during shifter install)
While that was off, I placed moleskin (thin felt) on the remaining (lower) portion of the center console, around the holes for the snap-clips.
Also, I used a bit of sticky-felt to dampen any vibrations coming from the metal that holds the rubber e-brake boot on the backside of the upper part of the console.
Finally, I put a thin ring of sticky-felt around the opening for the shifter (between the center stack and the shifter boot) to dampen vibrations there, and a small patch of sticky felt under each corner of the shift boot.

Did repeated road tests from 1000-1200rpm under load, rattle is gone.
Old 4/1/08, 09:18 PM

DASH RATTLE

I HAVE BEEN HEARING A DASH RATTLE TOO...SOUNDS LIKE A PIECE OF STEEL RUBBING ON THE GROUND...I WENT TO THE DEALER, HE SAID IT IS NOT COMING FROM THE DASH, BUT FROM THE 2 FLAT RODS ON THE REAR OF THE ENGINE, THEY ARE LINKAGES FOR OPENING PLATES IN THE HEAD, HE IS CHECKING ON GETTING NEW CLIPS ON THEM.....I STILL DON'T BELIEVE THIS WILL FIX THE PROBLEM BUT WE'LL SEE IF IT WORKS.
Old 6/24/08, 01:31 PM
tws

I have a 2006 GT Convertible that has 2 really loud rattles. I have had at dealership 3 times but cant find--they can hear them loud & clear but just cant seem to find or fix them? The most annoying rattle sounds like its coming from passenger rear quarter panel--sounds like fibergrass banging metal. Any little bump makes rattle. The next rattle is on drivers side where top clamps down to pillar post---this is very loud but takes little bigger bump. Dealership can't seem to fix it either. Car is still under warranty but not much longer. The service manager says he called Ford for assistance but they tell him no recalls & suggested they drive a like car to see if makes same rattles...they of course do not have another convertible to test, so I guess they are done with me. These rattles are so loud it is embarrasing when I have friends or family riding with me. Help!
Old 6/24/08, 06:28 PM
tws

Originally Posted by tws
I have a 2006 GT Convertible that has 2 really loud rattles. I have had at dealership 3 times but cant find--they can hear them loud & clear but just cant seem to find or fix them? The most annoying rattle sounds like its coming from passenger rear quarter panel--sounds like fibergrass banging metal. Any little bump makes rattle. The next rattle is on drivers side where top clamps down to pillar post---this is very loud but takes little bigger bump. Dealership can't seem to fix it either. Car is still under warranty but not much longer. The service manager says he called Ford for assistance but they tell him no recalls & suggested they drive a like car to see if makes same rattles...they of course do not have another convertible to test, so I guess they are done with me. These rattles are so loud it is embarrasing when I have friends or family riding with me. Help!
I did not say in earlier that neither of these rattles are present when top is down
Old 7/3/08, 07:08 PM

Rattle noise when shutting car off

I just bought an 07 gt/cs 5 speed. It has only two thousand miles on it. It seemed like it was taken well care of. Here's the thing! When Im turning off the car I get a rattle noise coming from the transmission area. I went to the Ford dealer and listened for the same noise on there new 5 speed GT cars, and I dont hear that rattle. Someone please help. Any gearheads out there know what this is?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rattles database