Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Rattles database

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/07, 09:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G.T
try ejecting all CDs from the shaker and see if that helps..
just a thought
I never would have thought of that. I will see if that's the issue. It sounds logical. Thanks.
Old 3/10/07, 11:30 PM
GT Member

A-pillar rattle

Took mine to the dealer they found a couple of clips that were loose, they tightened and added some double stick tape.....problem solved. also my shift boot squeaks, I'm on my 2nd boot, 1st one rubbed a hole in it from the shifter rubbing the console
Old 3/10/07, 11:37 PM
GT Member

fueling up

Has anyone had trouble fueling up, sometimes it acts like its full, because it clicks off, usually I have to hold the nozzle upside down, I hear there is a service bulletin on it but, not sure.
Old 3/15/07, 09:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Scarpi
I have a rattle that sounds like it is behind the guage cluster. Very loud and annoying. but it only happens when the outside temp is 50 or less and I go over bumps. When it is warm, no rattle. It seems the dash plastic must be rubbing against something when it is cold outside! I would not trust the dealer to take my dash apart to find the source of the rattle. Luckily as I mentioned, it only happens when the temp is 50 or lower (early AM) and since I live in Phoenix, it is rarely 50 when I'm driving my car so I'll probably just live with it. But the question remains, why do our cars have to have these interior rattles and noises. You would think that Ford would have used some type of insulating material so the interior plastic materials would not have this problem. I would have paid a little more to have a noise free interior. But I love my car. Is the rattle behind the dash cluster a fix that me, a non-mechanic guy, can fix?
Me too. Only when she's cold and hits a bump. It's annoying, but not particularly loud. Kind of an intermitant, low frequency buzz that disappears as the car warms up. I'll live with it until I've got some other reason to pull the dash as I don't drive much when it's cold.
Old 3/28/07, 10:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by clintoris
I have rattles in a similar place... except it's the little cover panel behind the release lever...
This turned out to be the source of a very frustrating rattle to chase down for me! I solved it last night after reading this thread.

I've been having a really annoying rattle that I thought was coming from the passenger side air vent on the dash, but it turns out it was coming from the little plastic cover behind the door panel!

I applied the sticky velcro felt to the backside of this cover, reinstalled, and no more rattle!! SUCH A RELIEF!

I repeated the procedure on the driver's side also, just in case.
Old 3/28/07, 11:36 AM
Bullitt Member

trunk lid rattle

My trunk lid is rattling. Anybody know how to adjust it to make it quit? I have the Roush spoiler on it but I am sure its not that, its coming from the hinge area of the trunk lid.
Old 3/29/07, 08:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have rattles in a similar place... except it's the little cover panel behind the release lever...

And besides the usual occasional rattle in the dash... I have something particularly annoying in the pillar behind the driver's seat.... I haven't delved into that one, so I don't have a solution. I'm going to go to the dealer and make them take care of it... 'cause I have other issues... such as the fuel pump, the strut popping, and the rear end vibration (ring and pinion)...
I won't say that this would ever discourage me from buying another Mustang.... like you hear people say when the first thing goes wrong.... ALL cars will have issues, simply by virtue of being mechanical .... I got plenty for my money, and these little issues can be resolved.. so, no big deal.
I have the same rattle somewhere in the area of the pillar behind the passenger seat. I've tried narrowing it down, but with no luck so far. It only makes the noise when going over bumps or turning to the right quickly enough. Almost like a loose part bumping against something. Anyone figured this one out or know the best way to go about finding it?
Old 4/15/07, 07:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I think I may have solved a metal on metal squeak sound that has been coming from behind the instrument cluster on certain bumps. It involves the instrument panel cowl top bracket and nut #17, as pictured in the Instrument Panel Removal, under the sticky title, Work Instructions. After I removed the cluster, I checked the nut and it was tight. I then removed the nut and found the cowl top bracket was jammed up, between threads, of the stud the nut fastens to. I then lifted the bracket up about 1/2" to check the welded stud bracket beneath it. I noticed one end of the weld bead was very high and tapered down to a proper height at the other end. I put a piece of paper on top of the high weld and refastened the bracket. I could barely pull the paper out so I unfastened the bracket again and clearanced the high weld with a file. Before I tightened the cowl top bracket down again, I pushed the bracket sideways to clearance the stud threads. I also placed a small piece of headliner material, (heads-up headliner, I purchased cheap at a surplus store, foam one side/light cloth other) not on the bracket's mount pad but just back between the bracket and dash steel tube. I used small thread loctite on the nut as well. I've been driving for week and haven't heard the squeak since. Problem solved, I hope.

I also had problems with the drivers a-pillar trim making lots of noise. I've tried sticky felt and sticky foam. The problem I ended up with is I get too much in there chasing new ticks/rattles. Then I loose clearance in other areas and a new rattle appears. So I removed all my foam/felt pieces. This time I used some of my headliner material to try just over the clips. It's a little harder to work with because there's no glue holding things in place. I just cut small pieces, slit them to fit over each fastener clip as well as the 2 tabs that slide into the dash. I reinstalled the trim and have had no noise since.

It's amazing how much more enjoyable it is to drive this car again. I'm sure if Ford would have concentrated more on interior noises there would be a lot more happy customers. My next project will be to get Ford to fix the HVAC so I can get some heat to my feet.
Old 4/16/07, 09:30 PM

I have a raddle/squeak That is coming out of the rear of my 07 GT. I have been fooling around with it for several weeks now. My car has flowmaster exhaust and eibach pro kit springs. I have climbed under the car and tapped shook and lubricated everything that I could get my hands on. I have also completely removed the spare tire and jack and still no change. PLEASE HELP IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY.
Old 4/16/07, 09:40 PM
Bullitt Member

And besides the usual occasional rattle in the dash... I have something particularly annoying in the pillar behind the driver's seat.... I haven't delved into that one, so I don't have a solution. I'm going to go to the dealer and make them take care of it... 'cause I have other issues... such as the fuel pump, the strut popping, and the rear end vibration (ring and pinion)...
I won't say that this would ever discourage me from buying another Mustang.... like you hear people say when the first thing goes wrong.... ALL cars will have issues, simply by virtue of being mechanical .... I got plenty for my money, and these little issues can be resolved.. so, no big deal.
Clint, when I was driving with my teenage son in the passenger seat, he found my rattle....exact same place....behind the door release handle.

What did you do to get rid of it?? Thanks.
Old 4/17/07, 01:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by monster693
I have a raddle/squeak That is coming out of the rear of my 07 GT. I have been fooling around with it for several weeks now. My car has flowmaster exhaust and eibach pro kit springs. I have climbed under the car and tapped shook and lubricated everything that I could get my hands on. I have also completely removed the spare tire and jack and still no change. PLEASE HELP IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY.
I have Flows and had issues with the driver's side incoming muffler pipe being too close to the bottom of the spare tire pan. A little re-adjusting and it was fine. This was after I put on an x-pipe - stock mid pipe the Flows were fine, no rattles. Make sure you have clearance along the entire exhaust pipe path - you should be able to stick at least a finger (1/2 -3/4 inch) between the pipe and any part to ensure no rattles.
Old 4/17/07, 02:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Only issue so far with mine is the buzzy little plastic trim piece inside the passenger door panel(the piece behind the armrest handle). I'll eventually get around to it, it only does it once in a blue moon with certain bass notes. I've seen the fix(what is pretty much common sense) is to pop it off and put foam or foam tape behind it and snap it back in. I'm not sure if there is a different fix for the bezel behind the the upper door release handle.
Old 4/17/07, 02:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
My 85 GT did that too.
Count me in with my ol Jalapeño Red 86 GT with the flying buttress.. I still miss that car, one of my favorites, with T-tops too! And the non-cruise 3 spoke steering wheel(the cruise one was uglier then sin).
Old 5/17/07, 11:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well fixed the inner panel behind the armrest pulls yesterday, same thing, a little foam tape(used 3m double sided foam trim tape but left the red tape on the outside). A couple tiny chunks on top of the top snap pins(as in right over the tip of them) and a couple chunks along the bottom actually did the trick.

Found another rattle with the bezels for the door lock pins. They pop right off with your fingernails and are pretty loose fitting. Stuck little chunks around the inner recessed area(not putting any on the flange) to snug them up. They didn't really bother me except when you could hear all that stuff buzzing slightly during a song with a heavy bass line with very little mid-range or other instruments, just thump thump thump. Tight as a drum now.

Oh, found one other tiny buzz once I had the others nixed. The front tag was vibrating(I just have it on with the two standard screws). Good old 3M tape again to the rescue, just a 1" piece was fine.
Old 5/18/07, 07:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had thought my rattle was coming from the passenger side pillar, but never could decide for sure. After trying to locate the exact position, I determined it was further back and somewhere around the trunk. I removed all items from the trunk, but it did not solve the noise. Then I checked my spare tire. The tool kit hooked on the bolt that the spare tire is over was loose where it could move around. I took this kit off the bolt and wedged it beside the spare tire and have not heard anything since.
Old 5/20/07, 07:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well my AC vent was squeaking on the far passenger side. I pulled it out(comes right out with your fingernails). They has a white grease that was smeared in there, but wasnt on the 3 tabs in the vent, just took my finger and smeared it over the tabs and voila!

I also put a little velcro tape around the edges of the rear trunk lid latch cover, that thing can rattle like a ***** too, just tap on it sometime.
Old 5/24/07, 07:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My convertible top is squeaking when it's open, if you just shake it slightly it wil start squeaking.

So on bumpy roads it's annoying

It does not do it whe the top is up and closed..
Old 5/25/07, 09:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

You could probably track it down and spray a little white grease in whatever joints are squeaking. Unless its just the vinyl rubbing like the shifter boots.
Old 5/25/07, 09:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Kevin, let me tell you it's not easy to track down which joint is squeaking as the top is folded, beacaus as soon as it's open a bit it doesn't do it anymore.

Will go with the trial and error method...

I was just checking to se if anyone had this issue before and could lead me to the squeaker !

Thanks,
Old 5/29/07, 08:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

When in doubt, lube everything

Quick Reply: Rattles database