Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Problem with fuel gauge / pump

Search this Thread

Old 3/20/20, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patrickt
Hi,

I have a problem with my 06 GT. Every once in a while the fuel gauge will go to empty, when the tank is half full. Board computer shows low fuel as well. After a few minutes the gauge will go up to half full again, drop to empty again and so on.
When I gas up to full, the problem dissapear until I get to a half full tank again.

Once I didnt mind the "0km to empty" message, as I wanted to try if its only a faulty fuel gauge. After some minutes the engine started to surge, didnt take gas very well. I shut it down and want to start again, but no way. Luckily I was able to add some gas, and it was running without any problem again.

I believe the second fuel pump doesnt work correctly. Maybe someone has the same problem?

Thanks a lot for help!

Patrick
Hey Patrick i know the Thread is old, but i have exactly the same Problem. Please can you write how you fixed the Problem?
Old 3/20/20, 05:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
I recently had the same problem. Driving along, the fuel gauge goes to Empty and glow red and the error says "Fuel Level Low" "DTE FLI Data ERR"

I had an OBD scan tool, it came out as code P0463. Took it to Ford, they came up with the code B1204 and recommended a local garage who works exclusively with U.S. cars, especially Mustangs. I contacted him, showed him the pics and what Ford said and he immediately said that both fuel level sensors needs to be replaced.

I was getting these errors as I was driving along, then it would suddenly go back to normal. After a few times - the Check Engine light would remain on. I knew I had at least half a tank when the errors happened, and when it went back to reading the fuel gauge, I had an accurate miles (or km) to go until empty. It stopped happening when the tank was under half full. So it was probably one of the sensors failing since the fuel tank is like a saddle.

Anyways, since it was fixed - o problems at all (knocking on wood right now)

This is what it looked like when the error happened. And the error code.

Hope this helps you.