Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Problem with fuel gauge / pump

Search this Thread

Old 12/24/08, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with fuel gauge / pump

Hi,

I have a problem with my 06 GT. Every once in a while the fuel gauge will go to empty, when the tank is half full. Board computer shows low fuel as well. After a few minutes the gauge will go up to half full again, drop to empty again and so on.
When I gas up to full, the problem dissapear until I get to a half full tank again.

Once I didnt mind the "0km to empty" message, as I wanted to try if its only a faulty fuel gauge. After some minutes the engine started to surge, didnt take gas very well. I shut it down and want to start again, but no way. Luckily I was able to add some gas, and it was running without any problem again.

I believe the second fuel pump doesnt work correctly. Maybe someone has the same problem?

Thanks a lot for help!

Patrick
Old 12/24/08, 05:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
Welcome Patrick!! WE only have one fuel pump on our cars. I haven't heard of this problem before that I can remember. I wonder if one of the fuel pick ups fell off the pump. Is your car under warranty still?
Old 12/24/08, 05:50 AM

Hello Glenn,

I thought it has two pumps because of the shape of the tank, and the two rubber covers under the back seats.

My car is not under warranty because I drive it in Europe. It has been imported from the US. Thats why I want to fix the problem myself.

Thanks
Patrick
Old 12/24/08, 07:29 AM

I had sort of the reverse problem with my '05 V6 Mustang. The fuel guage kept winding around past full. Instead of displaying between the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions, my needle was pointing between the 1 o'clock and 5o'clock positions. The dealership replaced the tank sensor and the problem returned. They finally determined that it was the display cluster that was bad and replaced the whole cluster. This required them to send the mileage in to Ford so the new odometer could be coded with the current mileage. Luckily this all was covered by my extended warranty.
Old 12/24/08, 09:39 AM

yep, I'm getting the same thing. tank is full the computer has the correct miles to empty but the fuel gauge does some funky stuff spins, shows empty when full. sometimes the fuel gage points straight down at the 6, strange.
Old 12/24/08, 10:41 AM

Mine shows for example 10 miles to empty when the needle goes to zero. After the needle is up at half full again it shows the right range.
Never had problems when it was filled up, as written above.

Is it correct that the fuel pump with one sensor is at the driver side, and only a senor at the other side?

Patrick
Old 12/28/08, 08:54 AM
Cobra Member

when i start my car half the time it shows empty on the gauge, then i shut my car off and start her up again and it reads fine, my problem might be a little different from yours, maybe not. if you come up with a solution let me know, im probably going to change pump,sending unit, whatever i need to correct a incorrect gauge.
Old 12/29/08, 05:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
There are a couple of other threads about this and in them it's either the sender or the instrument cluster. I've had this problem for sometime now along with my speedometer sometimes being wrong too and I think mine is a bad cluster . Initially mine would show different incorrect readings , but now it just shows empty all the time. I don't have the IUP cluster , but I do have scan gauges that monitor the computer and it knows the correct value so the sender must be good. My car isn't under warranty now and since I have the scan gauges I haven't taken it in yet ...
Old 1/1/09, 12:14 PM

I never had any problem with the gauges, speedometer etc., only the fuel gauge goes crazy below half full.

I might try to replace the sender. Do I need special tools to do that? And do I have to replace both assemblies, one at the driver side, and the one on the other?
I found this shop with the pump assembly: http://www.newtakeoff.com/2005-2008f...tfuelpump.aspx

I read about a problem with the fuel pump, which occurs after a long time cruise on the highway. Maybe this is the second problem I described in my first post? So maybe it will the best to replace the pump as well anyway...

Patrick
Old 1/1/09, 06:57 PM
Queen Of Nascar

I have a friend that has the same problem. He's had the car to the dealership numerous times and they haven't been able to fix it. He can cut the car off and then start it again and it will be right and then after driving awhile it goes all funky again..
Old 1/9/09, 10:35 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try changing gas brands. I know this sounds ludicrous. For a long time I only used Chevron in all my cars since 1989. I started using them because I had a finicky Honda back then. The fuel injectors would clog very easy. Started using Chevron and put over 100K never having a problem again.

Ok, so when my gas gauge started to do wacky things like not showing full after pumping in 15.8 gallons of gas I took it to the dealer... They told me to try a different brand because of the amount of sulfur used in some gas production. Yes, I looked at the service manager and gave him some very funny looks... No I did not change.

Well my Chevron gas station turned into a generic brand... No way was I going to use that cheap stuff. So, I was forced (ok it was on the way to work) to start using BP (Amoco where I live) and low and behold I have not had a gauge issue since7/19/06, 12:42 PM

Check out my rant and discovery about sulfur and gas here http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=427161 Post 7

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpost.php?p=5100223&postcount=7
Old 1/9/09, 10:38 AM
Cobra Member

These cars do have a second sending unit. There is a stand-alone sending unit in the right side of the tank. The fuel pump is located in the left side, with a sending unit attached to it.

I use Techron Fuel System Cleaner once a month or so to keep the sending units clean of sulfur, which is the cause of the sending unit problems.
Old 11/13/14, 09:54 AM

Fuel Pump issues

I am also having an issue with fuel pumps/gauges. I have a 2005 Saleen and the car is running out of gas when the gauge is reading 1/4 to 1/2 full. I believe the gauge to be correct bc it only takes 7 or 8 gallons to fill up and the gauge reads full. My fuel pump was upgraded when the shop installed a supercharger, but I know it is working. The shop checked it out and I can also hear the thing running. I believe the problem might be with the passenger side pump (jet pump).

I have read a lot of forums and people say that sulfur build up can cause issues. Would sulfer buildup on the jet pump side inhibit fuel transfer to the other side of the tank? I also do not hear any noise coming from the jet pump when I have the rear seat removed.

Anybody had an issue like this?
Old 12/25/14, 09:47 AM
V6 Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a 2006 GT with the crazy gas gauge issue. Clear the codes, and two doses of Techtron fuel cleaner took care of the sulfur build up problem and no return codes. This is a well know Mustang issue with a simple solution.
Old 12/25/14, 08:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Oh, wow. That's... interesting.

Further interesting?

Mine started AFTER the two techron sessions.

Weird.

Guess I'll add a Sender to the list. I just gas up at about 230 or so miles on the trip, though, because I had an 87 Mark VIII that would read 1/8th tank when it was bone dry. My PC800's gauge will read empty with 100 miles to go. Both taught me that the gas gauge is nothing but something to look at, it's your *trip* that's important. Or your last miles when you filled, anyway, either.

Now that the dang computers will ***** about the range (anyway to turn that off?) I can't ignore that, so I *guess* I'll fix it.
Old 8/30/16, 10:55 AM

Same problem with pump not transferring

Originally Posted by patrickt
Hi,

I have a problem with my 06 GT. Every once in a while the fuel gauge will go to empty, when the tank is half full. Board computer shows low fuel as well. After a few minutes the gauge will go up to half full again, drop to empty again and so on.
When I gas up to full, the problem dissapear until I get to a half full tank again.

Once I didnt mind the "0km to empty" message, as I wanted to try if its only a faulty fuel gauge. After some minutes the engine started to surge, didnt take gas very well. I shut it down and want to start again, but no way. Luckily I was able to add some gas, and it was running without any problem again.

I believe the second fuel pump doesnt work correctly. Maybe someone has the same problem?

Thanks a lot for help!

Patrick
My 06 base is doing same, one empty half full second half setting on the side of the road out of gas. I pulled both units and the connecting line, cleaned replaced and no difference, for some reason it will not pull fuel from the passenger side tank. Driving me crazy. You're not suppose to pull that line, just so you know.
Old 6/17/19, 11:49 AM

i know this is very old thread but anyone solve this issue, currently the issue i am having now, drivers side tank is not getting gas where the sending unit side is full it is new fuel pump installed
Old 6/18/19, 10:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
https://www.stangnet.com/images/stor...s/06-10-13.pdf
Old 6/18/19, 10:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
https://www.s197forum.com/threads/ho...nk-work.91029/
Old 7/11/19, 09:22 AM

This problem stopped for about 2 weeks then came back, i had replaced the fuel pump about a month a go and it would intermittently do this, not sure if i got a bad new fuel pump or if it is the sending unit on the passenger side, all i know is im getting tired of working on it.

Quick Reply: Problem with fuel gauge / pump