Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Hood bubbling

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/11, 06:00 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood bubbling

This looks like the TSB from the mustangs of ole.

i'm posting this to be 100% sure a body shop couldn't have done this while doing paintless dent removal? Thoughts?

And what do you think my odds are on having ford cover it?
Attached Images  
Old 5/13/11, 07:54 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Freakazoid
This looks like the TSB from the mustangs of ole.

i'm posting this to be 100% sure a body shop couldn't have done this while doing paintless dent removal? Thoughts?

And what do you think my odds are on having ford cover it?
Hi Feakazoid,

My name is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. I recommend you bring it in to your Ford dealership as soon as possible. Then, message me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info to see how I can help.

Deysha
Old 5/13/11, 01:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Our hood on our 2006 Mustang also had the same corrosion along the front/leading edge, like yours. Ford approved the warranty repair becasue the car was still under the 3/36000. However, 1 year later the same corrosion appeared on rear of the hood, right in view of the driver, and the dealership that repaired it earlier would not fix it because the car was no longer under the 3/36000 warranty. We had Ford's ESP, but that didn't help either. It's only spreading and getting worse.
Old 7/1/11, 03:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well count me in. Noticed the bubbling on the inside seams, then a few weeks ago bam, it was across the front edge of the hood. Paint bubbled up and it just flaked off. Took it to the dealer and was told it was from contamination during the manufacturing process. I was also told it is not covered under my extended (premium) warranty and btw there is no tsb for the 2008's yet. Body shop told me the front was just what I was seeing - it is actually around the entire perimeter of the hood and it will only be a matter of time before it starts peeling off too. My options are 1) new hood @ $1600 + paint, or 2) $650 to strip the whole hood and repaint it. My dealer did what they could, this was FORD's response.

It is hard to digest that this car has only 44K on it, is just over three years old, and I have no choice but to spend $650 to solve Ford's defective manufacturing process problem that they have known about for several years. I don't get too excited when things happen or go wrong when they are taken care of, but this is bs. I have owned mustangs my entire adult life, so much for owner loyalty.
Old 7/1/11, 03:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangLynda
Well count me in. Noticed the bubbling on the inside seams, then a few weeks ago bam, it was across the front edge of the hood. Paint bubbled up and it just flaked off. Took it to the dealer and was told it was from contamination during the manufacturing process. I was also told it is not covered under my extended (premium) warranty and btw there is no tsb for the 2008's yet. Body shop told me the front was just what I was seeing - it is actually around the entire perimeter of the hood and it will only be a matter of time before it starts peeling off too. My options are 1) new hood @ $1600 + paint, or 2) $650 to strip the whole hood and repaint it. My dealer did what they could, this was FORD's response.

It is hard to digest that this car has only 44K on it, is just over three years old, and I have no choice but to spend $650 to solve Ford's defective manufacturing process problem that they have known about for several years. I don't get too excited when things happen or go wrong when they are taken care of, but this is bs. I have owned mustangs my entire adult life, so much for owner loyalty.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Rust-Pre...nt/products/1/

Check out the above link. You will have to sand and clean the rust areas, to give the repair a finished look, and then apply this material. It will not only neutralize the rust, but prevent future rust from starting. You just brush it on. You can use touch up paint to cover this material. I am "assuming" your problem is only on the underside of the hood. Good luck...
Old 7/4/11, 08:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

...Ford's defective manufacturing process problem that they have known about for several years.
I too have owned Mustangs most my life, and believe no manufacturing process is pefect. However, Ford should've corrected this problem and properly taken care of the cars with the problem. I currently own 3 Mustangs and have been very loyal to Ford, but obviosly Ford doesn't care. Even Deysha ignored my PM about Ford's handling my 2006 Mustang and its hood corrosion problems, that were reported before and after the factory warranty expired. I recently had the above surfaces of the hood refinished at my own expense, however, the entire perimeter of the hood's underside is bubbling up, so it's just a matter of weeks or months before it spreads again to the surface.

Last edited by SoFlaBoss; 7/4/11 at 08:53 AM.
Old 7/4/11, 12:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
yep ford f that up and are sticking it to us. Thank-you! NOT How about a class action law suit??
Old 7/4/11, 06:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Good luck with the class action... although I'm all for it myself. But I want *my* people to do it, and Ford pay up for it.
Old 7/5/11, 12:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SoFL05GT
I too have owned Mustangs most my life, and believe no manufacturing process is pefect. However, Ford should've corrected this problem and properly taken care of the cars with the problem. I currently own 3 Mustangs and have been very loyal to Ford, but obviosly Ford doesn't care. Even Deysha ignored my PM about Ford's handling my 2006 Mustang and its hood corrosion problems, that were reported before and after the factory warranty expired. I recently had the above surfaces of the hood refinished at my own expense, however, the entire perimeter of the hood's underside is bubbling up, so it's just a matter of weeks or months before it spreads again to the surface.
Here's some pics of mine, according to the body shop the entire hood is toast, as the bubbling is around the entire perimeter. http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/j...you%20go%20Hm/

I still can't get past this, 44K, 3.5 year old 32K car and Ford couldn't care less. I guess this is their idea of "quality is job one".

My sales person at the dealership, a service writer, and body shop guy bent over backwards to get this dealt with. They said if the tsb for the 2008 was there it would most likely have a clause stating it could be fixed for a period of time after the 3/36 was out. No tsb for the 2008's = no soup for me, PERIOD. Meanwhile I am screwed, thank you Ford, for making quality job one. Ya know it's pretty sad when even the people at the dealership are standing their shaking their heads in discust. And it's even sader yet when your sales guy is just as PO'd as you because his OWN Ford truck has the very same problem and theyre busy screwing HIM too.

Last edited by MustangLynda; 7/5/11 at 10:59 AM.
Old 7/5/11, 12:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
yep ford f that up and are sticking it to us. Thank-you! NOT How about a class action law suit??
Ya know Glenn normally I would say na, it's not worth my time and energy, just deal with it and move on. But this is so arrogant, so EXPENSIVE, and such the ultimate of getting crapped upon, I would jump on that bandwagon in a heartbeat. This has been going on since 2000 at least, with a multitude of Ford vehicles, 11 years. I'm sure there'd be no shortage for the bandwagon.

It's one thing to have a problem and remedy it; it's another thing to know you have a problem, do nothing about it, intentionally keep selling people your problem, and then intentionally refuse to remedy it. Grrr.

Last edited by MustangLynda; 7/5/11 at 12:13 AM.
Old 7/5/11, 06:18 AM

Hello SoFL05GT,

I never received any pm from you. When did you pm me? I looked over them and did not see your name. Please message me again with your VIN, mileage, dealer, and contact info so I can review your case.

Deysha
Old 7/5/11, 06:19 AM

Here's some pics of mine, according to the body shop the entire hood is toast, as the bubbling is around the entire perimeter. http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/j...you%20go%20Hm/

I still can't get past this, 44K, 3.5 year old 32K car and Ford couldn't care less. I guess this is their idea of "quality is job one".

As far as Deysha, well I guess so much for that. I thought about PMing her too but it looks like you have to be special to get any help? More "quality is job one".

My sales person at the dealership, a service writer, and body shop guy bent over backwards to get this dealt with. They said if the tsb for the 2008 was there it would most likely have a clause stating it could be fixed for a period of time after the 3/36 was out. No tsb for the 2008's = no soup for me, PERIOD. Meanwhile I am screwed, thank you Ford, for making quality job one. Ya know it's pretty sad when even the people at the dealership are standing their shaking their heads in discust. And it's even sader yet when your sales guy is just as PO'd as you because his OWN Ford truck has the very same problem and theyre busy screwing HIM too.
Hi MustangLynda,

Please message me with your dealer, VIN, and contact info. I would like to look into this for you as well.

Deysha
Old 7/5/11, 08:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Deysha if we all pm you with our info, where will that get us?? I'm guessing no where!
Old 7/5/11, 09:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2006 GT has this same thing, as do many people. I called the Lincoln-Mercury dealer whom I bought my car from (used), and they said I was SOL unless I wanted to pay up for it. I'm just waiting until I see a fiberglass hood at a decent price that I can get painted and installed. I'm sure that if Ford won't help the people with ESP, there's no way I'd be able to get anything taken care of.

Shame...same with the MT82 transmission issues on the new GT...

JR
Old 7/5/11, 11:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Exclamation A Dose of Reality

Well I just spent this morning getting a dose of reality. Because a new hood was a possibility, I of course went looking for Kevin for some advice. I have not been on here for quite awhile, so am now just learning of his job situation, his son Andrew, and his sister. Holy cow I need to get a grip, I can't believe I could get so angry about a STUPID hood on a STUPID car. Good Lord if all I have to do is write a check to solve my problem, I've got it made in life. Thank you Kevin for a much needed wake up call; some people keep giving even during the worst times in their lives whether they know they are doing it or not.

Deysha - I will PM you the info as soon as I verify everything actually went into Oasis. I discovered I left the dealer with an estimate for body work but not the service order, so I don't really know what's in there and what's not. I apologize for the unecessary and unwarranted attack and have removed it from my original post. Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 7/5/11, 11:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hello SoFL05GT,

I never received any pm from you. When did you pm me? I looked over them and did not see your name. Please message me again with your VIN, mileage, dealer, and contact info so I can review your case.

Deysha
Hi Deysha, I just forwared the PM that I sent you on 5/18/11. Please let me know if you don't receive it. Thanks.
Old 7/6/11, 12:49 PM

Hi Deysha, I just forwared the PM that I sent you on 5/18/11. Please let me know if you don't receive it. Thanks.
Got it, thanks. I sent you a reply today.

Deysha
Old 7/6/11, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Deysha if we all pm you with our info, where will that get us?? I'm guessing no where!
Not necessarily Glenn. I have to look at everyone’s situation/vehicle on a case by case basis. The resolution might not be the same for everyone.

Deysha
Old 7/6/11, 07:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Deysha, the problem isn't individual. The problem is systematic. These bubbles have been happening since 2005, when Ford decided that rather than plastic, they would use Aluminum for the hoods... and the problems they experienced since haven't ever been fixed, and that it why today new cars come with bubbled hoods like the old ones do.

It's beyond frustrating to know that if you buy a Mustang, the hood paint *will* bubble 9 times out of 10.

I've resigned myself that, after nearly 30 years of driving Fords, this is the first car I will have to repaint the hood on simply because Ford can't get the paint to stick. Not one other Ford car in my lifetime have I seen this issue, and I've dealt with these cars: '55-57 Thunderbirds, '65-66 Thunderbirds, '64.5-67 Mustangs, '78 Thunderbirds, '78 Mustang II, '86 Mustang SVO, '87 Lincoln Mark VII, '95 Lincoln Mark VIII, '97 Thunderbird.

Sure, I'll admit some of them had damage from previous *incidents*, and a couple of them had the ravages of age and therefore rust, and some had repaints over original coats, but NOT ONE had whatever of their original paint that was still on the car bubble off due to badly done paint in any location, and definitely NOT on the undersides of hoods or at the lips of them.

Since mines out of warranty, of course, I'll be footing the bill.

/Just hadda get that out. Carry on, y'all.

Last edited by houtex; 7/6/11 at 07:08 PM.
Old 7/6/11, 07:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well put Houtex!

Quick Reply: Hood bubbling