Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Anyone have these problems?

Search this Thread

Old 9/21/06, 09:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Anyone have these problems?

Well it's been a few weeks now and I love this car. Having said that, I do have a few problems and I'm wondering if I'm alone.
  1. I can feel and maybe hear a strange flapping when I release the clutch for the first time when just starting out in first gear. This only happens after startup/takeoff, then it's gone. I'm having a hard time describing it and flapping is all I can come up with.
  2. When attempting to adjust the revs for a downshift I can push accelerator half-way and nothing seems to happen. At lower speeds it is much less noticable. Is this a drive-by-wire type of issue?
  3. When it rains heavily I hear a random ticking from the exhaust (I think). I'm guessing this normal but I've never had this happen before on another car.
  4. Hood fluttering at highway speeds - I have seen other threads on this and I am going to check/adjust the stops but this seems like a silly issue to have on a new car designed for speed. I'm seeing this at 75-80MPH, I'm not even approaching the sppeds I have been reading about like 100+.
Is anyone else experiencing these issues?
Old 9/21/06, 09:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
Well it's been a few weeks now and I love this car. Having said that, I do have a few problems and I'm wondering if I'm alone.
  1. I can feel and maybe hear a strange flapping when I release the clutch for the first time when just starting out in first gear. This only happens after startup/takeoff, then it's gone. I'm having a hard time describing it and flapping is all I can come up with.
  2. When attempting to adjust the revs for a downshift I can push accelerator half-way and nothing seems to happen. At lower speeds it is much less noticable. Is this a drive-by-wire type of issue?
  3. When it rains heavily I hear a random ticking from the exhaust (I think). I'm guessing this normal but I've never had this happen before on another car.
  4. Hood fluttering at highway speeds - I have seen other threads on this and I am going to check/adjust the stops but this seems like a silly issue to have on a new car designed for speed. I'm seeing this at 75-80MPH, I'm not even approaching the sppeds I have been reading about like 100+.
# 1 and 2, I have an auto so it does not apply...
# 3: no, I don't have that problem.
# 4: yep, I have it. It happens from 87/90 mph in my case.
Old 9/22/06, 06:17 AM
Bullitt Member

At least for the hood fluttering, try adjusting the rubber bumper stops under the hood (turn them clockwise - no more than one turn at a time) and then take her for a run on the highway...mine has improved since then. Remember the hood is also heavily affected by strong head winds and crosswinds...
Old 9/22/06, 08:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When attempting to adjust the revs for a downshift I can push accelerator half-way and nothing seems to happen. At lower speeds it is much less noticable. Is this a drive-by-wire type of issue?
Welcome to the wonderful world of Ford's version of the electronic throttle Gotta love that great spongy feel, huh?

The only way to either minimize it or eliminate it altogether is a hand-held tuner (Predator, X-Cal II, Granatelli Fuego).
Old 9/22/06, 01:32 PM

Now that we're beginning to cool off here. . .

I'm starting to turn on the defroster and discovering two stubborn little fog spots at the very bottom of the windshield, right smack in the middle. Cracking the windows seems to help, but not much.
Old 9/22/06, 01:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

on the highway i sometimes here a rattle on the right side. i can only guess its that rocker panel piece.

at very low speed (turning into my driveway) i hear a rattle on the rear. i can only guess its those weak looking sway bar links.
Old 9/27/06, 01:49 PM

1. & 2. Not applicable, because my hoss is Automatic.

3. The only ticking I hear is from the motor after I've turned it off and gotten out and am leaving the garage after a good long drive.

4. Wondered why there was just a prop rod under the hood. . . (dang thing's almost as heavy as the hood on the '98 Villager we had)

And one final thingie: was out riding while the help drove and the "pet sound" from the rear--a distinct little metallic buzzing I've dubbed "the metallic mosquito". It only materializes at highway speed.
Old 9/27/06, 01:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Other than the dash sqeeking at times- no problems- ZERO
Old 9/27/06, 05:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

As stated by another poster, a tune will solve #2. Adding the K&N really helped with the response also
Old 9/27/06, 05:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok....I think I know what you're talking about with the "flapping" when you start off in your car. I've got a manual as well and I think it's a combination of the throttle being very sensitive until the car warms up and the slack in the drivetrain. You're probably starting to let off the peddle as you press in the clutch and the engine slows quickly when it's cold and then when you depress the clutch the trans & rear make that sound.
Old 9/28/06, 09:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dysan
Ok....I think I know what you're talking about with the "flapping" when you start off in your car. I've got a manual as well and I think it's a combination of the throttle being very sensitive until the car warms up and the slack in the drivetrain. You're probably starting to let off the peddle as you press in the clutch and the engine slows quickly when it's cold and then when you depress the clutch the trans & rear make that sound.
It's strange because I can feel it in the clutch pedal and it only does it that one time when everything is cold. I think I'll try to warm up the car a little longer and see if it still happens.
Old 9/28/06, 10:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
4. for piece of mind , Hood pins.
Old 9/28/06, 11:44 PM
V6 Member

It's clutch chatter. It happens when the engine rpm is too low, and there isn't enough cushion in the marcels in the clutch plate, to keep the clutch from trying to engage too soon. There are a million other reasons for chatter, but this is most common (and normal) for what you are describing. Just give it slightly more gas on take off and see if it still occurs.

-gambi06
Old 9/29/06, 06:30 AM
Cobra Member

#3.... when it rains? are you using the defroster? I couldn't figure out what the ticking was... and it wasn't constant.. it happened only once every 30 seconds or so.... but it was my vents...the plastic expanding/contracting with the temperature change. I was going nuts trying to figure it out... over complicating things, thinkin' of something mechanical... but my wife listened for a second, and goes, "its the vents."

I probably shouldn't have admitted that.
Old 9/29/06, 08:37 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill58
I'm starting to turn on the defroster and discovering two stubborn little fog spots at the very bottom of the windshield, right smack in the middle. Cracking the windows seems to help, but not much.

My defroster works wonderfully. Clears the fog almost instantly. I do sometimes get fog forming on the outside of the windshield because the cold air blowing on the window cools it down and the moisture in the air condenses on the window. Hit the wipers and see if that helps. If so, turn the temp up or switch to defrost/foot setting.
Old 9/29/06, 11:47 AM
Cobra Member

700 miles and zero issues.
Old 9/29/06, 11:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

If the ticking happens when you're using the defroster, it the A/C clutch engaging. It's very loud on these cars.
Old 9/29/06, 02:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

#2, Blip the gas pedal twice to get the revs higher. From my observations when you blip the throttle for downshift it only goes up an additional 1000 to 1500 RPM depending on where you are on the revs. Give it another quick blip and the revs jump up a LOT. Great for when you need to jump down to 3rd from 5th.
Old 10/4/06, 02:45 PM
Cobra Member

lol are we talking about spirited driving again
Old 10/4/06, 02:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

3rd is a passing gear isn't it. hee hee