Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2007 V6: Interior Lights Stuck On

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/18, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 V6: Interior Lights Stuck On

Hi all. I have a 2007 V6 and I'm having an electrical problem. From what I've been able to piece together, I had some water get into my electrical system after a big rain storm and it caused an electric surge. The main problem is that regardless of the position of the headlight / dome light switch control (to the left of the steering wheel), the interior dash lights stay on (ie. the lights behind the speedometer, fuel meter, radio/AC buttons, etc.). I've checked and it isn't because the roller on the right side of the panel is rolled all the way up to the "on" position.

My mechanic ran an electric diagnostic and found that everything was fine but the light switch control's internals were fried. This led me to think that the rain caused a one-time shock but that switching the light control would fix my problem. I ordered a new one and switched it in, but the lights are still stuck on! I'm not sure what my next step is. It seems to me like I need to "reset" something to jostle the lights off, but I haven't been able to find anything online.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 1/21/18, 12:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Yeah, if the switch didn't fix it, you're probably talking a Smart Junction Box (Also called a Body Control Module, Alarm Kit Module, part number middle is 15604.) You can 'just' replace it and see if it works... but the dealership may be the right answer overall.

Helpful youtube vid regarding it:

And another where a guy went through a LOT of stuff to fix (part 1 of 5, you'll have to follow the rest on Youtube.)
(I don't actually recommend this, but hey... if it works, it works. I would just say two improvements: use different colored wires for each broken pin, and make a connector to connect them separately rather than hard wire the fix in on the harness like he did. And note that it may not actually work, as the board inside might be actually fried, and it's not just the pins. He got a bit lucky there.)

And the Fordparts.com link to a new one.
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/ki...tionId:4135119

The part number in question should be 7R3Z-15604-E, which should be the updated less-likely-to-fail-from-water part, as the earlier ones (early 2007 models and back to 2005s) were susceptible to the water. Please note that Ford made different ones for different models, for sure for convertibles versus coupes, and may be even further diverse, so take that into consideration.

Also, you'll need to ensure the cowl isn't getting flooded from the plugged vents, and also might need to see if water is coming in elsewhere. Might want to take the car's interior apart on that side in the areas (kick panel, glove box, A-pillar) to ensure no water's comin' in. The second video points out a problem with convertibles, potentially. I mean, even with an updated part, you still don't want water in there, right? Known issue, check it out/get it checked.

Hope that helps. Hope I'm wrong in a way too. Good luck!

Last edited by houtex; 1/21/18 at 12:23 AM.