Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

I am about to give up...

Search this Thread

Old 7/12/08, 09:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several things...

Autozone water pump was a bugar. I had to elongate the holes for the pulley for it to work. Figures.

I did all that I wanted to do. Replaced dizzy, water pump, intake gaskets, carb bowls, and dropped the secondary jets from 80 back to 72. It fired right up. Set the timing to ~11. The car is running cooler now. I gave it three good runs and had no pinging. Hmmmm... Maybe the bad juju has been chased away?

Steve, I only have a phone camera and tried, but they did not come out. Regardless, all of the intake ports on the heads were close to the same except for #5. That was one of the guides that SCH replaced 10 years ago. I could find nothing wrong with the gaskets. The pattern looked good. The oil film on the intake ports of the heads is surprising. Enough that i would dip a finger and it comes away wet and brown.

Eric, thank you. I will keep Bill in mind.

I am going to drive the car a bit and see what happens.

Thanks everyone. Will see how it does and post again.
Old 7/29/08, 07:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Can never leave well enough alone.

I still have carb issues. Small ones that I am trying to work out.

1) Mid throttle pinging when it is hot like yesterday. Steve was telling me to change out the springs in the secondaries to get them to open sooner. Good idea.

2) Mid-throttle shifts (or winding up to ~3500RPM shifts) and it stutters for a split second. I am thinking this is accelerator pump cam.

3) Going around a curve and it stutters once. Each time. I have the float levels a hair higher than it should be. Anyone got a clue on this one?

4) Very hard starts when warm. I will crank, and crank, and crank. After about 7 seconds, it will barely catch and then idle up. *shrugs* I do not have a clue here, either. I have a thick laminated gasket with the plastic circles to keep from over-tightening, but that does not seem to help. I have tried different start procedures - no pedal push, 1/4 pedal push, half-pedal push, full-pedal push.

I tried a 1405 Edelbrock. After throwing a kit in, I found that it has an intermittent stumble cruising. Strange. Wonder what I did wrong. It also pings, so it is still lean for the engine.

The car is still getting good gas mileage. I think if I can get the stumbles worked out, I will be okay with the hard starting. Of course, once the weather cools, the thing will probably run amazing.

Anyone ever mess with the pump cam? I cannot remember the theory between adjusting the nozzle and the cam. The nozzle is a .031 stock for the 0-80457S model Holley.
Old 7/30/08, 08:53 AM
GT Member

If it were mine... and its not I would go significantly lighter on the secondary spring and drive it.. see what is different. see if you can feel the secondaries "dump in " and back off one spring from there for now... I really think you are fighting multiple issues and need to catch one issue at a time.

You can try one cam larger "orange??" Going from memory. I have the cams if you want to try some. Not hard to change just a few burnt knuckles during the trial and error phase.

Stumbles on curves. I would go to float levels too high but we checked that down hill slamming on the brakes.... unless you changed them?? Right and left turns? do you have a harness problem?? Is it hard turns or gentle turns? I would gently wiggle the harnesses and plug in's under the hood, around the distributor. See if the engine responds funny.

Hard start when warm, float level too high??? black smoke when it finally starts ???? Curious on that

If you are still killing the number 5 plug and you still have intermitten pinging. I would try a hotter plug (2 sizes?) for a short while and see how the car responds, stumbles ect then change the plug back. I would try this before I changed too much, maybe even before changing the carb sec springs. Your car smokes a lot on the driver side bank. If all that smoke is coming from one cylinder (one valve guide?) that's a lot of oil for a .62 liters. (1/8 of a 5.0 liter). I am curious if that cylinder is part of the ghost in your machine.

Just my thoughts, I hope it helps.
Old 8/20/08, 01:29 PM
GT Member

What is a Carb? :-)

Are you on a low carb diet?

We don't need No Stinkin Carbs! :-)
Old 8/23/08, 08:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Okay...

The car is still lean... still running hotter than it should.
That is one part.
Yes, the carb "dies" for a second around any curve at any speed. It does the dying when shifting when hot. The gas is percolating out of the bowls.

I have not checked #5, but it is not idling with a dead cylinder. It is smooth.

Hmmm... why still lean?
Bad intake?

I'm on vacation week from next. Thinking of swapping the heads and putting on a new intake. Or atleast taking the heads I have and having them gone through. They are probably junk and not worth it, though.

The running hot I am sure is from running lean.
Old 8/23/08, 09:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Ralph, haven't been following this thread but have you tried a carb spacer? May cool the fuel in the carb.
Old 8/24/08, 01:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Skip, I have been looking at them. They even have shields made by Holley and Mr. Gasket or Moroso. The spacers are made from wood. I was at the Ardmore car show yesterday and just happened to spy a carb sitting on one. I keep giving that a heck of a thought.

The thing is, though, I think that is treating a symptom and not the cause. If it was not getting so hot in the first place from running lean, the gas would not percolate. I keep wondering about a cracked intake allowing air in, or perhaps painting it was not such a good idea. It is something basic that is escaping me. Heck, maybe I should just find a good 5.0 pull and swap it in.

Another thing I have to be careful with is how high I raise the carb and the clearance with the breather to the strut tower brace and the carb stud not punching through the hood. I already have a thick laminated gasket on it.
Old 8/25/08, 02:08 PM
Cobra Member

Can you back off the timing? It should run cooler and mitigate some pinging issues.
Old 8/25/08, 03:53 PM
Cobra R Member

I am 10 now. I have backed off all I can.

It's not pinging until it gets hot.
Old 8/25/08, 05:13 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a 1" phenolic spacer under my Edelbrock 600. It stopped the backfires and gas perk'n/bubble'n...
Old 8/29/08, 06:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Ralph, just trade me for my 85Vert and be done with it.. I will fix your engine and you can fix my rear quarter windows...
Old 8/29/08, 06:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Just think about it..........
Attached Thumbnails I am about to give up...-stuff400-003.jpg  
Old 8/29/08, 09:12 PM
GT Member

Those wheels are Nice! :-)
Old 8/31/08, 11:10 AM
Cobra R Member