2008-2009 BULLITT The Bullitt is Back!

Why is Clear Bra Kit Different For Bullitt vs GT?

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/08, 01:22 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is Clear Bra Kit Different For Bullitt vs GT?

The installer of the clear bra for my Bullitt had given me a quote based on a GT clear bra kit. Now because my GT is a Bullitt he tells me that the supplier for the clear bra kit is telling him that the kit is a different kit from the GT and therefore the cost will be over twice as much. This makes no sense to me - because the car is a GT with the Bullitt performance package option. I am aware of no body changes that were made to the GT for the Bullitt - same bumper, etc. Sure there was the spoiler delete, the fog light delete, and the badging delete. But I do not see how any of this this would require a different clear bra kit. Has anyone else who had the clear bra installed run into having to use a different clear bra kit for the Bullitt and if so was there an add on charge for the Bullitt kit?
Old 3/24/08, 01:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe he was inadvently quoting you for a 2001 Bullitt clear bra kit?
Old 3/24/08, 02:38 PM
GT Member

Martimus

No - he was quoting me for a 2008 Mustang GT - which I told him it was when I first talked to him. Then when I got the car and revisted him he told me he had given me only an estimate and that he would have to talk to his Xpel supplier to give me a quote. When he talked to the supplier on the phone about a price on a Bullitt the supplier was telling him it had different bumpers than the GT. I had him convey to the supplier that it was not a Shelby and had the same bumpers as the GT. But the supplier told him he would have to get a price on a 2008 Bullitt and he would have to call him back. Then his supplier called him back with pricing that was over double what the GT pricing was.
Old 3/24/08, 02:45 PM
GT Member

I just went on the XPEL website and the kits are exactly the same for the GT and for the Bullitt. It appears that my installer may be trying to milk me out of an additional $300. I will have to revisit him.
Old 3/24/08, 02:47 PM
GT Member

My installer is recommending the venture shield film. I was thinking of the 3M film. Does anyone know if there is much difference in these two films?
Old 3/24/08, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Why revisit someone who would try to steal from you? Aren't there other sources for clear bras?
Old 3/24/08, 04:56 PM
GT Member

Yes, Dixie Flatline - I was thinking the same - but like any salesman, he is looking to make a little extra on the product and service. That is why we as consumers have to do our research and know as much - if not more - about the product and service costs to not get taken. And the guy does good work and is local. I think that he may have quoted me too low - and now is trying to figure out a way to up the cost. I have no problem paying him a little more - because I know that he will do a good job - and I want to be fair. I just don't want to be suckered into paying more. But when I had the car in today for him to install the new splash shields and center caps, my Bullitt was the center of attention for all his customers and they all wanted to know about the Bullitt. Maybe he thinks that a showpiece merits a little extra on his part. lol
Old 3/24/08, 08:30 PM
Cobra Member

Give him one chance to explain, if he fails stay away from him.
Old 3/24/08, 09:43 PM
Bullitt Member

what did he charge. I paid 600 to have a clear bra and the headlights done.
Old 3/25/08, 06:05 AM
GT Member

Hood, Fender, Mirror Kit, Lower Bumper Kit, Upper Bumper Kit, Rocker Panel Kit, Wheel Opening Kit, and Venture Shield or 3M Film (my choice) - originally quoted $225 - now $525 and $625 if 3M Film ($100 additional for 3M film)

Labor to install - originally quoted $150 (2 1/2 hrs) - now $250 (4 hrs)

So total quote changed from $375 to $875 (with 3M film)
Old 3/25/08, 01:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Heh, I understand sales all too well, and his suppliers could keep his prices high, or he could have too much work right now....

I'd get a quote from another local guy and see how they stack up on similar products. Keep in mind he's not paying the bill and hasn't done his work until he installs it, so don't feel obligated to him for anything, especially if he doesn't explain the price change like RCSignals mentioned....
Old 3/26/08, 08:33 AM
GT Member

Get a quote for a V6....
Old 3/26/08, 05:24 PM
GT Member

Wink

Originally Posted by Speeding Bullitt
The installer of the clear bra for my Bullitt had given me a quote based on a GT clear bra kit. Now because my GT is a Bullitt he tells me that the supplier for the clear bra kit is telling him that the kit is a different kit from the GT and therefore the cost will be over twice as much. This makes no sense to me - because the car is a GT with the Bullitt performance package option. I am aware of no body changes that were made to the GT for the Bullitt - same bumper, etc. Sure there was the spoiler delete, the fog light delete, and the badging delete. But I do not see how any of this this would require a different clear bra kit. Has anyone else who had the clear bra installed run into having to use a different clear bra kit for the Bullitt and if so was there an add on charge for the Bullitt kit?
I just got back from re-re-re-visiting my installer for the clear bras. And I am glad that I have him the benefit of the doubt. I went to the XPEL website and printed out the part numbers and the patterns for both the Bullitt and the GT - and they are all exactly the same. I took the printouts in to him to see and he got the XPEL website up and his distributor on speaker phone at the same time. Just like my installer had been telling me all along, the distributor was saying that the Bullitt is a special car and that it has a different bumper than the GT - the bumper is shorter on the Bullitt (ther only thing short was is his integrity) - and that therefore the cost of the Bullitt clear bra kit would be an extra $300. My installer went over each pattern on the website with him and the distributor then had to admit that both cars take the same pattern. But my dealer had to then ask him if he could order the GT kit rather than the Bullitt kit for my car - and he sheepishly said that he could. But get this - this distributor and another one that supply these clear bra kits BOTH charge more if the kit is being ordered for a Bullitt rather than a GT. Just when you thought that you had dodged all the ADM's at your local Ford dealership, you now discover that parts distributors are adding their own ADM's to Bullit parts. So be careful out there - the pocket picking will never be over for us Bullitheads - unless you do your research in advance.
Old 3/27/08, 10:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Speeding Bullitt
I just got back from re-re-re-visiting my installer for the clear bras. And I am glad that I have him the benefit of the doubt. I went to the XPEL website and printed out the part numbers and the patterns for both the Bullitt and the GT - and they are all exactly the same. I took the printouts in to him to see and he got the XPEL website up and his distributor on speaker phone at the same time. Just like my installer had been telling me all along, the distributor was saying that the Bullitt is a special car and that it has a different bumper than the GT - the bumper is shorter on the Bullitt (ther only thing short was is his integrity) - and that therefore the cost of the Bullitt clear bra kit would be an extra $300. My installer went over each pattern on the website with him and the distributor then had to admit that both cars take the same pattern. But my dealer had to then ask him if he could order the GT kit rather than the Bullitt kit for my car - and he sheepishly said that he could. But get this - this distributor and another one that supply these clear bra kits BOTH charge more if the kit is being ordered for a Bullitt rather than a GT. Just when you thought that you had dodged all the ADM's at your local Ford dealership, you now discover that parts distributors are adding their own ADM's to Bullit parts. So be careful out there - the pocket picking will never be over for us Bullitheads - unless you do your research in advance.

Wow, silly distributor. Glad your installer turned out to be on the level.
Old 3/27/08, 03:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Reminds me of the Corvette tax. Sure it has the same motor as other cars but parts still cost more since it's a Corvette instead of a Camaro.