2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

Some SGT Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12/17/11, 08:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some SGT Questions...

I've been meaning to gather some opinions on here for awhile now, but finally was driven to it tonight...this will probably be long with a couple questions and any help would be greatly appreciated...

Issue #1: Okay tonight I got in my car to head to the store...I uncovered the car and warmed her up for just like 4 minutes...the last time I drove it was Wednesday and after I drove it I washed it and put it away...so tonight I release the parking brake, engage the clutch and slide it into reverse and start rolling back and from the drivers side rear there is a very loud pop and thud...so I stop, put the parking brake back on, and grab my flashlight...I look under to see if maybe something popped off or I ran something over but I couldn't see anything. I noticed the rotors were a bit rusty do you think maybe it could have been the rust getting knocked loose or should I pull the wheel and investigate further? I did drive it tonight and it was fine...but what could have popped like that?

Issue #2: a couple months ago the rear end started squeaking so I checked underneath and found some grease points. There were only two and when I checked online for more locations I found that there are no more...so the squeaking dimmed down then it came back on the rear as well as the front...it's not super loud but it annoys me just knowing it's squeaking like that...how can I make the squeaking stop?

Issue #3: I love the car, but lately I've been thinking of selling it. I've always been told the large production numbers as well as the low output of power was going to keep the value down. Also the vinyl stripes are beginning to fade and spot, the exhaust as well as other components underneath are already rusting more than I'd like. Also the Hood pins as well as the try-bar and pony on the grille have begun changing colors and such. My concerns are is this car just going to be one that ends up falling apart and not being worth more than any other stang? is it worth holding onto or should I sell it get a truck for now and then look for a newer stang in 3 or so years?

I know it was a lot of info, but all of this has been on my mind for awhile now.

Thanks,
Brett
Old 2/16/12, 04:47 PM

Pop noise in reverse

That noise originates from the brake pads getting stuck to the disk, due to corrosive materials "metal particles" on the brake pads. When you wash the vehicle and apply the parking brakes corrosion builds up between the two surfaces thereby, they end up bonding together, as you release the brakes the stuck pads are forced to release and that's what generates the popping sound. It's loud and scary, but it's very normal. Hope, that answers your question.
Old 2/16/12, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Shelby08
I've been meaning to gather some opinions on here for awhile now, but finally was driven to it tonight...this will probably be long with a couple questions and any help would be greatly appreciated...

Issue #1: Okay tonight I got in my car to head to the store...I uncovered the car and warmed her up for just like 4 minutes...the last time I drove it was Wednesday and after I drove it I washed it and put it away...so tonight I release the parking brake, engage the clutch and slide it into reverse and start rolling back and from the drivers side rear there is a very loud pop and thud...so I stop, put the parking brake back on, and grab my flashlight...I look under to see if maybe something popped off or I ran something over but I couldn't see anything. I noticed the rotors were a bit rusty do you think maybe it could have been the rust getting knocked loose or should I pull the wheel and investigate further? I did drive it tonight and it was fine...but what could have popped like that?

Issue #2: a couple months ago the rear end started squeaking so I checked underneath and found some grease points. There were only two and when I checked online for more locations I found that there are no more...so the squeaking dimmed down then it came back on the rear as well as the front...it's not super loud but it annoys me just knowing it's squeaking like that...how can I make the squeaking stop?

Issue #3: I love the car, but lately I've been thinking of selling it. I've always been told the large production numbers as well as the low output of power was going to keep the value down. Also the vinyl stripes are beginning to fade and spot, the exhaust as well as other components underneath are already rusting more than I'd like. Also the Hood pins as well as the try-bar and pony on the grille have begun changing colors and such. My concerns are is this car just going to be one that ends up falling apart and not being worth more than any other stang? is it worth holding onto or should I sell it get a truck for now and then look for a newer stang in 3 or so years?

I know it was a lot of info, but all of this has been on my mind for awhile now.

Thanks,
Brett
I had the same problems with the stripes I had them replaced after a long battle with Ford & Shelby. The only way to fix the problem is to get them painted. Everything, you're mentioning has, or will occur. As far as the exhaust the only part that is going to rust are the manifold and the mufflers; mufflers take way longer the tubing itself should not. The manifolds will have surface rust whether it's a stock or special vehicle, because they are not stainless steel, to fix the problem you need to invest on some good ceramic headers, ex: JBL. they will not rust or show corrosion. As far as long term investment value with the car itself, that is going to take some time like at least 20 yrs. or so. Believe it or not they are going to be more valuable than the plain Shelby GT 500 because the Shelby GT was actually modified in Las Vegas, Shelby headquarters while the 500 was built by SVT at Detroit, nothing special there. Also, there are more GT 500s than Shelby GTs, so that's another reason to be happy about owning one. Finally, I hate to say this but, when Mr. Shelby is gone…everybody is going to want a Shelby that was produced while he was still around and that alone will bring the cars value way up.