2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

Dealer comment about a SGT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 1/16/08, 04:58 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer comment about a SGT!!!

Well I went into the local dealer today looking for a VB SGT. My wife is in love with one and it is almost SRB/Tax time. I get out of my car and the salesman meets me at the sidewalk. I ask if they have any SGT's on the lot.....First problem, he has to ask another associate if they have one. Hello How would you not know that you have one. Well the other guy says and I quote..."WE HAVE A SHELBY GT, BUT IT IS NOT A REAL SHELBY." To that I respond that the GT500 is only a Mustang Cobra with a Shelby name. It never even goes to SAI or anything. He then tells me,"Well anyway the fake Shelby is on the Showroom floor." I could not believe that a salesman would say that to someone they are trying to sell a car to. Well then I go inside and look at it. Yep there it is. A 08 VB SGT Vert 5 SPD. They had a sticker of almost 53K on it. If it was a fake Shelby then why do they not give me a FAKE Shelby price?????? So at that point I was done looking. Good dealership just an idiot salesman threw my whole perception of them off. Anyway I thought you guys would enjoy.

And this post was not meant to disrespect the GT500 owners with my comment about them. I love that car too. Just my opinion about it wearing the CS name.

AFBlue it was number 0794 for your records. PM me if you want dealer info.

Gib
Old 1/16/08, 05:22 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
The average car salesman knows very little about product no matter how hard Ford tries to instruct them.
Most of them THINK they are smarter than the average guy.
All they think they need to know is "Can I get you to buy a car TODAY?".
When I sold cars at a Ford dealer this is what I saw.
When other salespeople at the dealership needed real info on cars, they found it easier to ask me then look it up or else they would just wing it (hoping they knew more than the customer).
The managers would pay me to take the Ford product knowledge tests for them.
It hasn't changed much in the past 10 years.
Go find some salesman that actually knows cars.
There are some out there.
Old 1/16/08, 05:56 PM
GT Member

When I was getting my car, they had a black SGT on the showroom floor. It was a beautiful car!! The salesman was trying to sell me on it. I told him to take the ADM off and give me 2k more on my trade in and I might think harder. Granted he tried to sell it as a GT 350, "thats because it makes 350 hp."

Then later that night I saw him at a local cruise in and he said he would have given me that deal. Makes me very upset...
Old 1/16/08, 05:59 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by karman
The managers would pay me to take the Ford product knowledge tests for them.
wow.. just wow. HAHA.
Old 1/16/08, 06:29 PM
Cobra R Member

It never ceases to amaze me how little knowledge most sales guys actually have about these vehicles. I visited a Ford dealer a couple of weeks ago and the young sales guy seemed in awe when I started schooling him about the Mustangs on the lot, specifically a Shelby GT and a GT500. BTW, the lot manager called the SGTs "baby Shelby"...lol...at least she didn't call it fake...LMAO...
Old 1/16/08, 06:30 PM
V6 Member

Wow I have not been blasted yet by a GT500 owner? That is amazing. It only took a matter of seconds on the Shelby site. LOL

Seriously no offense meant. I was not meaning that the GT500 is fake.

Gib
Old 1/16/08, 07:59 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Gibs07GTcpe
Wow I have not been blasted yet by a GT500 owner? That is amazing...

That's because none of the GT500 owners are 6'3", 215 lbs, and trained in martial arts. If so, your profile, typos, and PM death threats would have appeared by now.

But, if getting blasted is what you seek I can help and point you in the right direction.

Old 1/16/08, 08:22 PM
V6 Member

No I said that because it happened quickly on another board.
Old 1/16/08, 08:29 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No comment, I just added 3K worth the parts to a local BULLITT and the dealer marked it up 6K. Go figure, but I done my part here. Sale is a sale.
Old 1/16/08, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gibs07GTcpe
... Well the other guy says and I quote..."WE HAVE A SHELBY GT, BUT IT IS NOT A REAL SHELBY." To that I respond that the GT500 is only a Mustang Cobra with a Shelby name...
What's amazing is how the buyers and sellers have such opposite perspectives on the same products. The "REAL SHELBY" comment was likely a reference associated with popularity, demand, and heresay, not necessarily about facts and history of the cars those guys try to sell.

I love going to dealers, it's a confidence booster. When I walk out I feel as if I am an Einstein descendant. It never fails.

Old 1/16/08, 08:44 PM
V6 Member

Well it seems that you took my comment the way it was meant not as a insult or derrogatory comment.

Thanks.

Gib
Old 1/16/08, 09:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats the way it is around here... no one knows what they are selling and they are trying to sell them for 10k more than they are worth
Old 1/17/08, 10:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Similar thing happened to me.I brought in my SGT for my first oil change yesterday and decide to go into the show room and look around. They had about 6 gt500s with a 20adm, and 3. A blue vert, and coupe and a left over 07 white, not very equipt. All with a 10k adm. So I got to my salesman and ask him, how much they want for the white 07. He told me, what it says on the window 51k. I was like" are you serious?" I paid 37 for my black one here with more options 3 months ago. He tells me, that I did extremely well and I just happen to come in at the right time and they didn't really know what they had and I got a steal. This is weird to me, because not only do I see that you can now get 0% for 60 months, but also have seen new SGTs as low as 35,000. He said the reason is, because Mr.Shelby isn't getting older and not doing to well. From what I see, he looks pretty **** good to me. Its sad, some dealerships are trying to bank off the fact that Mr. Shelby is now 85 . Any thoughts? <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_297031-->
<!-- THE POST -->
Old 1/17/08, 11:41 PM

Car Guys

Okay guys & gals, listen up. I am a car guy period! I have owned Mustangs including a 68 Highland Green gt390 4spd FB, 69 390 Mach one & 90 Fox Body GTVert. to name a few. My latest is an 08 Vapor GT500 coupe.(yes, it's real & it's spectacular). I am also a 20 year veteran of the car business. I am a sales manager/appraiser for a large GM Dealer in Indiana. I can honestly say I have been on both sides of the desk. (I just paid a local dealer MSRP of my SHELBY GT500 ) Most car salesman are not very knowledgeable about cars. Many will admit to that fact. What they do know more about is people. We are in the people business...not the car business. If a salesman can't qualify his client and properly structure a deal with value & integrity, then he or she will fail. As far as ADM's go, the average dealer markup at MSRP on a GT500 is about 2800.00. If they sold them for MSRP & only were allocated 2 per year, the customers would snap them up & put them on e-bay. Guess what, the customers would then want "market value" for their "rare GT500". Dealers are no different than anyone else. They want what someone is willing to pay. The dealers are just protecting their market share on a tight supply of rare cars. Besides that, every other car in their inventory sells for near invoice.
Product knowledge is important. However, I have seen more "car guys" fail in selling cars because they try to prove that they know more than the customer. They win the battle & lose the war. They should listen more than they speak w/ their clients.
Either way, the dealers have been a bit too greedy on the Shelbys & now the Bullitts. However, that will only keep the values higher in the long run. If you don't believe me, I have a 2005 Corvette Convertible on my lot w/ 2000 miles. Original MSRP was 63K. We are asking 43K. How many Shelbys do you think will drop 20k in 2 years?
Old 1/18/08, 12:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Soo I guess the Xplan is outta the question, lol
Old 1/18/08, 12:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gabnmantha
I am a sales manager/appraiser for a large GM Dealer in Indiana.

How many Shelbys do you think will drop 20k in 2 years?
Where in Indiana? I live in East-Central Indiana.

None.
Old 1/18/08, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Where in Indiana? I live in East-Central Indiana.

None.
Hi, I am n.w. Indiana. About 20 miles east of Chicago.
Old 1/18/08, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by gabnmantha
... I am a sales manager/appraiser for a large GM Dealer in Indiana...
When do you expect the Camaro production to begin? Any word on a Z28, SS, or other upgraded version? If so, do you have any details to share?
Old 1/18/08, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
When do you expect the Camaro production to begin? Any word on a Z28, SS, or other upgraded version? If so, do you have any details to share?
I am told my many in the know that the Camaro is still a long way out. I am betting on not seeing any until spring of 09 at the very earliest. GM has been very slow w/ this car. We have hopes of also getting a Trans Am & Another retro GTO of the Camaro platform. However, I heard that if the CAFE standards are tightened, those won't happen & the Camaro will be a short run. A friend of mine just ordered a 2008.75 Challenger. It's not an 08.5...it's an 08.75...go figure. I am told dealers will be asking 5-25K over msrp. No manual trans yet either. 425 HP hemi w/ an automatic. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZ.

It will be a great looking american muscle car. But, I'll keep My 500hp 6spd thanks!
Old 1/18/08, 11:16 AM
Bullitt Member

When looking for a GT500 (early 2007) the sales guy told me they only had one so far and the owner took it. Then he elbowed me in the ribs and said "We have had a couple California Specials come through here though." (As if that was something special). To which I responded "Yes you have half a dozen sitting in your lot right now"

Quick Reply: Dealer comment about a SGT!!!