2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Wintering GT/CS soon

Search this Thread

Old 11/19/08, 08:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"More Iowa Winter Stuff"

UMich97: If you just leave the battery disconnected and in the car all winter in a cold garage, it is a coin toss on if it will be any good in the spring! And if it freezes the cells, it then becomes boat ballast. I knew one fella that bought a good quality 100' 3-wire grounded extension cord and then ran it out on the ground to his garage, just to run the charger on his Stang. Charging the battery inside the house is not really recommended at all!

Also you only have to lower the windows if you think that you will want into the car when the battery is ether removed or disconnected. You can leave them both up if critters are a real problem and just re-hookup the battery to then gain entry to the car anytime.

Yes all weather tires can work real well, if you need to drive fast on the freeways during the winter. But you will lose that extra grip for really deep snow on the back roads of life. Snow tires will run on the highway too, but not good tire life, to run them at sustained high speeds on the bone dry paving.

Have we put all the warm weather guys to sleep yet with this winter prep stuff? Hope some of this Iowa winter stuff helps you guys? CalStang
Old 11/19/08, 09:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CalStang'07
UMich97: If you just leave the battery disconnected and in the car all winter in a cold garage, it is a coin toss on if it will be any good in the spring! And if it freezes the cells, it then becomes boat ballast. I knew one fella that bought a good quality 100' 3-wire grounded extension cord and then ran it out on the ground to his garage, just to run the charger on his Stang. Charging the battery inside the house is not really recommended at all!

Also you only have to lower the windows if you think that you will want into the car when the battery is ether removed or disconnected. You can leave them both up if critters are a real problem and just re-hookup the battery to then gain entry to the car anytime.
Thanks CalStang. I'm going to have to keep thinking about the battery, as unfortunately, I won't have the option of running a wire out to the garage, since it would have to cross the driveway, which gets plowed in the winter. Maybe I could create a little "mini-garage" somewhere outside near an outlet, just for the battery.

....and I think I'll leave the windows up, just to be safe.....since it's not actually at my house where I can check on it very often. Appreciate the insights, as I didn't want any surprises in the spring.
Old 11/20/08, 07:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
can you just remove the battery and bring it inside Umitch?
Old 11/20/08, 12:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks CalStang, that is an option I have been thinking about. Financially I can't afford a new car much less new tires, but in the long run either is a better option then ending up in a ditch somewhere. I already had some hairy moments in just rain. I'm super cautious at driving and respect the power of the car, so it's either bus or new rims and tires. I never thought about the sandbag idea either. Thanks man.
Old 11/20/08, 06:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Any Good Ideas? Stang Gang

Originally Posted by Glenn
can you just remove the battery and bring it inside Umitch?
Yes you could do that. Just keep those battery gases away from the furnace or the hot water heater etc. A silly thought. Put it in an old dog house out back with the charger on an extension cord? Or even in a big plastic storage box out on the back porch? I know. Dumb ideas huh! CalStang

P. S. Signing off until around December 3rd. As vacationing down in Florida, to visit our adult children during the Thanksgiving holiday! "RC"
Old 11/21/08, 06:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes you could do that. Just keep those battery gases away from the furnace or the hot water heater etc. A silly thought. Put it in an old dog house out back with the charger on an extension cord? Or even in a big plastic storage box out on the back porch? I know. Dumb ideas huh! CalStang

P. S. Signing off until around December 3rd. As vacationing down in Florida, to visit our adult children during the Thanksgiving holiday! "RC"
Haha.....I might actually go with the back porch idea.

.....Enjoy the VC CalStang! ...especially the sunshine. Oh how I miss summer already.
Old 11/26/08, 07:57 PM

I would like to know if there's a stuff to put on a cloth top to protect it for the long storage period
Old 11/27/08, 07:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Wow Calstang that is a very well made list. Great work.

OMG I'm glad I live in South Texas.
+1 for both of the above.

I'm with you...it will soon be the BEST time to have a stang. The one where you don't need your air conditioning running the whole time you're out in it.
Old 11/27/08, 07:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by UMich97
Haha.....I might actually go with the back porch idea.

.....Enjoy the VC CalStang! ...especially the sunshine. Oh how I miss summer already.
You can buy a really sturdy plastic storage box, (like the one the have for outdoor pool supplies etc) put the battery in it, drill a small hole to run your extension cord in from the side and have the charger and battery mostly out of the weather except for the temp. I'm not sure I would keep a battery that's charging inside the house.
Old 11/27/08, 09:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Should the charger be hooked up to the battery 24/7 for the entire 4-6 month period, or can it just be hooked up at intermittent times? .....just trying to think of all of my options.
Old 12/3/08, 04:44 PM

All great info here I too have to deal with winter. One thing worth mentioning, if possible, when the weather is gross, it's -40c outside, or hail, or slush, you can still sit inside your ride, enjoy a beer, cigar or cigarette if you like, and watch Pinks on the Speed Network.

I don't entirely retire the 'Stang for the season, we do get some nice cold, crips days where the roads are clear and dry, no dirt to collect on the body. I have only owned it for a month or so, no idea what it will be like once the season gets ugly. I do the usual fuel stabilizer, bettery tender, full wax/wash with previous vehicles, same treatment here for my GT. I am set up with winter tires, 215/60-17 Yokohama Iceguard IG20

I don't plan on stomping around in the snow, but if I get caught on a drive at least I'll make it home safely. I planned on 235/55-17 Michelin Pilot A/S but figured some extra tracion couldn't hurt, the Pilots will go on in the spring.

If I get shack happy, I have "Big Bird" to take it out on, soon to have 44's, lockers, and dual 16.5k winches. Bring on the snow!!!

Last edited by hoseclamp; 12/3/08 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12/4/08, 04:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cool "Back from Florida"

Hey Gang: Back home here in the Iowa ice box again. Trip to see the adult kids for Thanksgiving in Florida was a real hoot! Mustangs are just about everywhere down in this state. Only saw one candy red GT/CS Vert while there.

One of my sons here, builds turbo boost Mustangs as a hobby. We went out cruising in a (other than brakes, pipes wheels and tires) stock looking black 2002 GT. It has dino tested at over 475HP on the rack!! We ran the highways and down the West coast beach roads too. Its a real sleeper!!

This coupe was so insanely crazy fast!! OMG! When he punched it from second gear going up an area interstate on ramp, with no one out in front of us, WoW! Think of it like riding in the back seats of an airliner during takeoff. Lots of loud spinup turbo noise and some brute torque that just flattens you into the bucket seats!! Bam, Bam and 120MPH ever so quick!! Hah! Later he lightly dusted off some rich boy in his pretty little German toy.

Kind of makes Ol' Dad pretty proud, that Mustangs shall long live on in our Ford family. P.S. It was a sunny 80 degrees while we were down there.

Back home it is now 19 degrees and light snow everywhere right now. Great to be back at TMS web site with the gang again!! CalStang

Last edited by CalStang'07; 12/4/08 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Additions
Old 12/4/08, 05:38 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
you guys are funny. None of this is needed for a few months of storage in a heated garage like the op has. Just put a battery tender on the battery and shut it off and cover it. Been doing this for 25 years and even let one car sits unstarted for over a year and it was like I just ran it yesterday when I removed the cover and fired it up. Heated garage/cover/battery tender is all you need.
Old 12/5/08, 06:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Gang: Back home here in the Iowa ice box again. Trip to see the adult kids for Thanksgiving in Florida was a real hoot! Mustangs are just about everywhere down in this state. Only saw one candy red GT/CS Vert while there.

One of my sons here, builds turbo boost Mustangs as a hobby. We went out cruising in a (other than brakes, pipes wheels and tires) stock looking black 2002 GT. It has dino tested at over 475HP on the rack!! We ran the highways and down the West coast beach roads too. Its a real sleeper!!

This coupe was so insanely crazy fast!! OMG! When he punched it from second gear going up an area interstate on ramp, with no one out in front of us, WoW! Think of it like riding in the back seats of an airliner during takeoff. Lots of loud spinup turbo noise and some brute torque that just flattens you into the bucket seats!! Bam, Bam and 120MPH ever so quick!! Hah! Later he lightly dusted off some rich boy in his pretty little German toy.

Kind of makes Ol' Dad pretty proud, that Mustangs shall long live on in our Ford family. P.S. It was a sunny 80 degrees while we were down there.

Back home it is now 19 degrees and light snow everywhere right now. Great to be back at TMS web site with the gang again!! CalStang
Welcome back CalStang. Sounds like a fun trip.....and good to hear that good choices in cars runs in the family.

.....I can relate to the weather withdrawal.....I lived in TX and AZ for a total of 7 years, and now I'm up north in the snow.....brrr.
Old 12/6/08, 01:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Cool "Iowa's Winter Is Now Here"

Thanks a lot UM97!! "Mustangs Forever" Just out in the shop area checking up on the stored CalStang. Took the cover off, just to have another look, used the Cal-Duster one more time and then hooked up the Excide trickle charger for the long winter months just ahead. Missing Forida's most wonderful winter weather already! Used to live in San Diego. So, I really know what we will be missing there this time of the year also! Have a great Christmas-Time Bro!! "RC"
Old 12/7/08, 10:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Have a Merry Christmas as well CalStang!

I'll be making a trip to visit my Stang while she's in storage in the next couple of weeks, just to see how she's doing in the cold and hopefully finalize my battery tender plans. Most likely some type of creative solution where the battery is outside but hidden. Now I'm just crossing my fingers that my girl buys me some gift certs for mods to the Stang.

If not, I might have to place a few gifts under the tree from "Santa".