Notices
2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

"Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" Indication

Old 11/28/11, 01:53 PM
  #1  
Mach 1 Member
Thread Starter
 
CalStang'07's Avatar
 
Join Date: July 22, 2007
Location: "SW" Iowa
Posts: 702
Likes: 0
Recieved 1 Like on 1 Post
Question "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" Indication

Working on the CalStang out in the shop. We now have it up on the jackstands and prepping him for the upcoming winter storage. Cleaning, waxing, leather treatment, detailing everything on the inside, outside and even the underside of it too, because we do show it. Hell is in the details!!

Noticed a "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" indicated on the dash data warning system. All tires are set at proper pressures. Wondering if maybe the tire's sensor batteries are finally giving up the ghost on this 2007 Mustang's wheels? Spare does not have one does it? Don't know what the expected battery life is on these? Have that heard about five years is the average?

Anyone else been down this road? If so have you replaced them yet? Just wonder what that costs to purchase four new units that connect inside the wheel with the metal bands? Any info here on this one? "RC"
CalStang'07 is offline  
Old 11/28/11, 03:24 PM
  #2  
Shelby GT500 Member
 
ford4v429's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 9, 2005
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 2,566
Recieved 8 Likes on 8 Posts
some discussion here just a few days ago:
https://themustangsource.com/f726/da...4/#post6187351
ford4v429 is offline  
Old 11/28/11, 03:36 PM
  #3  
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone
 
texastboneking's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 5, 2011
Location: Cleburne, Tx
Posts: 3,744
Likes: 0
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare does not contain a tpms sensor. And I would also recommend changing to a valve stem type sensor because the batteries are easy to change in them. Valve stem sensors can train with the tpms system just like band sensors.
texastboneking is offline  
Old 11/28/11, 04:13 PM
  #4  
Cobra Member
 
Doogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 15, 2008
Location: Brew City
Posts: 1,371
Likes: 0
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texastboneking View Post
Spare does not contain a tpms sensor. And I would also recommend changing to a valve stem type sensor because the batteries are easy to change in them. Valve stem sensors can train with the tpms system just like band sensors.
I did not believe it is that easy as the sensors use a specific frequency... for example, the stem style sensors used on the '10+ will not work on the '07-'09s. Unless of course, you have some additional information on which stem style would work on a car that came with a band style sensor??

Last edited by Doogie; 11/28/11 at 04:14 PM.
Doogie is offline  
Old 11/28/11, 04:49 PM
  #5  
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone
 
texastboneking's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 5, 2011
Location: Cleburne, Tx
Posts: 3,744
Likes: 0
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
I did not believe it is that easy as the sensors use a specific frequency... for example, the stem style sensors used on the '10+ will not work on the '07-'09s. Unless of course, you have some additional information on which stem style would work on a car that came with a band style sensor??
well it worked on an f150. didnt want to pay for bands and new sensors so he just bought the valve stem mount sensors and we put them in and they trained with the system. if i remember right ford stuck with a universal frequency for all their tpms sensors. but i could be wrong. but i have see it done
texastboneking is offline  
Old 11/28/11, 06:34 PM
  #6  
Mach 1 Member
Thread Starter
 
CalStang'07's Avatar
 
Join Date: July 22, 2007
Location: "SW" Iowa
Posts: 702
Likes: 0
Recieved 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks TMS Gang!

Thanks for all of this TPMS input gang! Sounds like we've have just joined this sensor club? Thinking the stem type units might be the good ticket for replacements if they will work on our 2007? Any Ford service people here who know? This problem can be addressed this coming spring when our CalStang comes back out of winter storage. Thanks again.."RC"
CalStang'07 is offline  
Old 11/28/11, 08:38 PM
  #7  
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone
 
texastboneking's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 5, 2011
Location: Cleburne, Tx
Posts: 3,744
Likes: 0
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I can get someone with an 05 to come by the dealership I can get some sensors and try it out. Need someone to come by though.
texastboneking is offline  
Old 11/28/11, 08:42 PM
  #8  
Shelby GT500 Member
 
ford4v429's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 9, 2005
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 2,566
Recieved 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by texastboneking View Post
If I can get someone with an 05 to come by the dealership I can get some sensors and try it out. Need someone to come by though.
only 07-up have them
ford4v429 is offline  
Old 11/28/11, 08:47 PM
  #9  
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone
 
texastboneking's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 5, 2011
Location: Cleburne, Tx
Posts: 3,744
Likes: 0
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429

only 07-up have them
My bad lol. Hit the wrong number. Typing to fast on my phone.. trying to catch up on all my subscribed threads
texastboneking is offline  
Old 11/29/11, 11:28 AM
  #10  
Bullitt Member
 
goldhillstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 10, 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 360
Likes: 0
Recieved 1 Like on 1 Post
RC, when I replaced my wheels a couple of years ago I purchased the kit from American Muscle for $150. It was the best price I found at the time. It included OEM Ford sensors, metal bands and a Ford reset tool. As I understand it the 07-09 sensors work in conjunction with the ABS system and determine speed differential between wheels on the same axle. For example, both fronts could be low by 15 psi and the system would not trigger a fault because they would be turning the same speed. This is also why it won't tell you which tire is low. The newer system actually measures individual tire pressure. I don't think the two systems are compatible, but I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time,lol.
goldhillstang is offline  
Old 11/29/11, 11:44 AM
  #11  
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone
 
texastboneking's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 5, 2011
Location: Cleburne, Tx
Posts: 3,744
Likes: 0
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goldhillstang
RC, when I replaced my wheels a couple of years ago I purchased the kit from American Muscle for $150. It was the best price I found at the time. It included OEM Ford sensors, metal bands and a Ford reset tool. As I understand it the 07-09 sensors work in conjunction with the ABS system and determine speed differential between wheels on the same axle. For example, both fronts could be low by 15 psi and the system would not trigger a fault because they would be turning the same speed. This is also why it won't tell you which tire is low. The newer system actually measures individual tire pressure. I don't think the two systems are compatible, but I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time,lol.
That is a very old way of determining tire pressure. But it doesn't apply to today's vehicles.

The sensors today 2000 and up communicate with the tpms module and not the abs system. Ford for some reason won't allow the system to tell you which tire is low. When you train the tires you train them in a specific order so the module knows the location of the tires. Now why Ford won't let it display which tire it is Idk.
texastboneking is offline  
Old 11/29/11, 04:12 PM
  #12  
Bullitt Member
 
goldhillstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 10, 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 360
Likes: 0
Recieved 1 Like on 1 Post
Like I said I could be wrong but I did quite a bit of research when I bought my sensors and that's the information I found. It's been a couple of years ago though. The reason you train the sensor starting with the left front is so the system will know which axle each one is on. 1 and 2 are front axle and 3 and 4 are rear.
goldhillstang is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Antigini-GT/CS
2005-2009 Mustang
5
10/5/15 09:43 AM
BigHoss
2005-2009 Mustang
0
9/21/15 10:03 AM
oldnjguy
Warranty and Service Issue
2
9/10/15 02:39 PM
haitham
2010-2014 Mustang
4
9/8/15 12:52 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" Indication


Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.