2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Some Issues with the GS

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/06, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some Issues with the GS

Bought my wife a 2007 GT/CS auto on the 18 of November. Here in California there were plenty to chose from on the lot at various dealers, so we did not have to wait the 6 to 8 weeks. The one my wife chose was the metallic red with the Shaker 1000, but not with the hood scoop. After driving home and going on a trip to Vegas, we noticed two problems.
First: There seamed to be a significant “Dead Band” with the “Fly by Wire” throttle control. Has anyone else noticed that? Putting your foot down a little on the throttle does not cause the engine to increase RPMs like you would expect on a throttle controlled with a direct cable from the pedal. You have to be careful about accelerating out of a turn or backing out from a parking space. The delay because the “Dead Band” causes the car to accelerate later then expected and you could over accelerate. I am told, by the dealer, that this is normal and Ford took lots of time to tune the “Fly by Wire” software to make the throttle feel the way it does. It is going to take some time to get used to it. I do not like it.
Second: There was a vibration when shifting from 1st to 2nd at about 1800 RPM. The vibration gets worst when the engine warms-up and during pulling up a hill. The vibration was high enough at times to rattle coins in the cup holder. After three visits to the dealer, during which they replace the clutch pack in the rear end and the driver shaft, the problem was solved. The first shaft they put in came from their parts department and still had the problem. The final shaft they put in came from a dealer’s stock GT. They road tested several before they found a GT that had no vibration and than took its shaft and put it in my car. Anyone have this experience with this problem?
Old 12/28/06, 08:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The "Dead Band" or throttle lag is typical with mustangs. A number of cures are available for this, the most popular one is to get a tuner, it removes the lag problem. Do a search, there was a lot of info on this in earler threads.
As for the viberation, I know nothing about this, I have not had a problem. Try a search on this there may be something out in the treads.
BTW welcome to TMS, post some photos we love to see everyones new cars.
Old 12/28/06, 09:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Larry - An easy fix on the throttle with out a tuner is on the boards here. I don't recall the specific order but look for something like turn the key to run, then off, then run again but, dont start the car...mash the pedal to the floor while key is on (you will hear an electronic noise) and key off.
Good to go!

If I find the right thread, I will link it here. I did it one time and it works great. Also, you have to drive it a bit before the tranny learns your style.

Please post a pic of your car!
Old 12/29/06, 09:11 AM

How do you post a photo?
Old 12/29/06, 09:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Found this on the forum. I have not tried it on mine yet. But what the heck, it is worth a shot. I am also getting the tuner and that will eliminate the throttle lag as well.

theres a way to 'recalibrate' the gas pedal/throttle servo:

turn key on without starting
wait for lights to go out
depress gas pedal to floor and release
turn off key

One guy said he got better throttle response after doing this.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Old 12/29/06, 03:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

turn key on without starting
wait for lights to go out
depress gas pedal to floor and release
turn off key

That's the one! Try it first!

Larry, to post a pic, select "go advanced" in the lower right and it brings up a seperate window. Then click manage attachments and upload. It's also a paper clip on the tool bar after clicking advanced.
Old 12/29/06, 03:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Larrybia
Second: There was a vibration when shifting from 1st to 2nd at about 1800 RPM. The vibration gets worst when the engine warms-up and during pulling up a hill.
Not for sure what would be causing this problem as I have never had any type of vibration that severe. Don't get defensive when I say this, but why are you shifting at 1800 RPM? I don't even think about shifting until around or just over 3k.(It's a MUSTANG ) Are you shifitng this early in an uphill climb? If so, I could see it lugging the motor and causing vibrations. Just a thought. I will have to try shifting that early when I leave work and see what type of reaction I get from the car.
Old 12/29/06, 06:50 PM

The Automatic shifts 1st to 2nd at about 2000 RPM. It's my wifes car and she did not want a manual. I got the airplane, as you can see from the picture, she got the car. At least it is a Mustang.
Attached Thumbnails Some Issues with the GS-100_7097.jpg  
Old 12/29/06, 07:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh sure, get the PLANE out!!!!
Nice 'Stang!
Old 12/29/06, 07:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No wonder you don't like the throttle response, look what you're flying..LOL
Old 12/29/06, 08:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Nice car, Larry, and nice plane, too!!!
Old 12/29/06, 08:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
where is that Area 51 ? Nice I hope your throttle thingy gets fixed ! & Welcome to TMS.
Old 12/30/06, 09:51 AM
Cobra Member

larry - nice Mustang and plane....you must be in the SF valley area at the private airport not too far from Burbank? I recognize the Galpin dealer plate. I've purchased a Mustang and F-150 from them they carry one of the largest inventories I've ever seen!
Old 1/2/07, 03:18 PM
GT Member

Actually looks more like Brackett Field to me..... nice rideS..
Old 1/4/07, 10:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Larrybia
Bought my wife a 2007 GT/CS auto on the 18 of November. Here in California there were plenty to chose from on the lot at various dealers, so we did not have to wait the 6 to 8 weeks. The one my wife chose was the metallic red with the Shaker 1000, but not with the hood scoop. After driving home and going on a trip to Vegas, we noticed two problems.
First: There seamed to be a significant “Dead Band†with the “Fly by Wire†throttle control. Has anyone else noticed that? Putting your foot down a little on the throttle does not cause the engine to increase RPMs like you would expect on a throttle controlled with a direct cable from the pedal. You have to be careful about accelerating out of a turn or backing out from a parking space. The delay because the “Dead Band†causes the car to accelerate later then expected and you could over accelerate. I am told, by the dealer, that this is normal and Ford took lots of time to tune the “Fly by Wire†software to make the throttle feel the way it does. It is going to take some time to get used to it. I do not like it.
Second: There was a vibration when shifting from 1st to 2nd at about 1800 RPM. The vibration gets worst when the engine warms-up and during pulling up a hill. The vibration was high enough at times to rattle coins in the cup holder. After three visits to the dealer, during which they replace the clutch pack in the rear end and the driver shaft, the problem was solved. The first shaft they put in came from their parts department and still had the problem. The final shaft they put in came from a dealer’s stock GT. They road tested several before they found a GT that had no vibration and than took its shaft and put it in my car. Anyone have this experience with this problem?
Same problem with my Mustang. The delay is something you get used to and after putting 1k miles on it, it doesn't bother me anymore. Now the vibration you speak off...I do notice it everyonce in a while. I can feel it on the emergency brake handle. I figure it's normal considering I have a few other squeaks and clunks in my car. I love the way the car looks, but I'm dissapointed at the quality and craftsmanship.
Old 1/4/07, 03:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, I got the tuner from Brenspeed and put the new tune in the car and it sure does make a big difference. The lag is gone and it sure does shift a lot better and faster. I have the Auto. Well worth the money spent.
Old 1/5/07, 09:44 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TinPony2
Actually looks more like Brackett Field to me..... nice rideS..

You are probably right as looking in the backgrund there are not enough homes crowding the hillsides to be the SF valley area - I stand corrected
Old 1/5/07, 09:45 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by NJJOE
Well, I got the tuner from Brenspeed and put the new tune in the car and it sure does make a big difference. The lag is gone and it sure does shift a lot better and faster. I have the Auto. Well worth the money spent.

Larry - this is the way to go - there are any number of tune/CAI combinations you can use that will seriously wake up your car without damage.