2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Has anybody changed their tires yet ?

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/09, 09:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bob A
Was wondering the same thing, how wide can we go on these rims?
You can check here to see what the recommended rim size is for any given tire. The stock 235's on our cars are kinda stretched to fit the 8.5 rim imo. I personally like a little more bulge to the tire. I realize that's not optimal for handling , but my car is a DD and does not see the track. linky...http://www.tirerack.com/index_w.jsp
Old 12/9/09, 11:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My girlfriend had to replace her tires on her 2007 GT/CS and she went with Hankooks. Not sure off the top of my head which ones they are, but I can tell you SHE HATES THEM!! They are louder than the BFGs, and she says they don't track as well in the rain.
Old 12/9/09, 12:45 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Pirelli P~Zero Nero 18" off of the 2010's also stick much better than those BFG's. I could not believe the difference!
Old 12/10/09, 07:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TakeOffStang
The Pirelli P~Zero Nero 18" off of the 2010's also stick much better than those BFG's. I could not believe the difference!
Tha'd be on a dry surface though only correct ?
Old 12/16/09, 12:11 PM
Den
GT Member

I just replaced the original BFGs last week with a set of the new Goodyear Eagle GTs (all season). I am loving these tires! I used to spin the tires even at a moderate axcelleration on wet surfaces with the BFGs. I am simply amazed at how much better these Goodyears perform in the rain. I havn't hit a good snow yet, but when I do I will report. Two things to note about these tires that I didn't know when I bought them:

1. The rim protector is not like the BFGs. On the the Goodyears the entire side of the tire is pushed out to the outside of the rim. It actually pushes the tires about a half inch out on each side. I kind of like the look.

2. When you see pictures of this tires tread, it kind of looks like a "V" tread that rotates only one direction. I was thinking that there would actually be a right and left tire and that I could only rotate front to back, however there is no laft or right. The problem with this is the tread pattern looks reversed with respect to the other side. In other words the the tread pattern is not asymmetric. The good news is you can rotate these tire any way you want, but to me it kind of looks like your running a "V" tread tire correctly on one side of the car and backwards on the other side of the car. Heres an example:

\\\\|||| ||||//// this is how I thought it would look (front view of the tread)

////|||| ||||//// this is how it actually looks (front view again)

When its all said and done they look sweet on the car and the whole tread thing dosn't bug me too much any more. But I figured if any of you are thinking about these tires you should know this.

Den
Old 12/16/09, 05:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ I beg to differ, the Eagle GT is a asymmetric tread design, per the Tire Rack "The Eagle GT features an all-season tread compound molded into a dual-zone asymmetric tread design. The outboard high-performance zone features large independent shoulder and intermediate tread blocks to enhance steering response and provide predictable handling, along with sweeping Aquachute tread grooves that help evacuate water to enhance wet traction. The inboard all-season zone features a continuous rib flanked by dual circumferential grooves to help evacuate water and the inboard shoulder blocks feature Tredlock sipes to blend stability on the road with traction in snow"

Last edited by goldhillstang; 12/17/09 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12/16/09, 05:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I went with the KDW NT's (new treads) when I got the black bullitt wheels.

I've only put about 8k miles on them, but they are great as far as a performance tire goes. But I don't drive the car in the rain and we never have snow so I can't speak about their handling in those conditions. As far as dry traction is concerned they are a vast improvement over the stock KDW's that were on the car.

I went 255/45/18 in front and 285/40/18 in back with the new 9 and 10 inch wheels.

The treads look cool too.
I went with the 255/45/18s in the rear with these tires as well as I needed to get them replaced and didn't have the budget to replace all four. They grip alot better and and the rear doesn't get as sqirmy under hard acceleration sans-TCS.
Old 12/16/09, 08:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Den
I just replaced the original BFGs last week with a set of the new Goodyear Eagle GTs (all season). I am loving these tires! I used to spin the tires even at a moderate axcelleration on wet surfaces with the BFGs. I am simply amazed at how much better these Goodyears perform in the rain. I havn't hit a good snow yet, but when I do I will report. Two things to note about these tires that I didn't know when I bought them:

1. The rim protector is not like the BFGs. On the the Goodyears the entire side of the tire is pushed out to the outside of the rim. It actually pushes the tires about a half inch out on each side. I kind of like the look.

2. When you see pictures of this tires tread, it kind of looks like a "V" tread that rotates only one direction. I was thinking that there would actually be a right and left tire and that I could only rotate front to back, however there is no laft or right. The problem with this is the tread pattern looks reversed with respect to the other side. In other words the the tread pattern is not asymmetric. The good news is you can rotate these tire any way you want, but to me it kind of looks like your running a "V" tread tire correctly on one side of the car and backwards on the other side of the car. Heres an example:

\\\\|||| ||||//// this is how I thought it would look (front view of the tread)

////|||| ||||//// this is how it actually looks (front view again)

When its all said and done they look sweet on the car and the whole tread thing dosn't bug me too much any more. But I figured if any of you are thinking about these tires you should know this.

Den
Great choice that's what I got and over the stock tires they are fantastic , I mentioned taking an exit at say 60 mph dry stock would start to wanna slide, the first day with the Eagles took the same exit @ about 80 moh on a wet road didn't even slide, my son 13 & I almost do dood in our pants ! then I explained remember the other tires & how we spun around , this was why I was willing to pay more$$ for the safety alone. and the extra over hang is great helps protect the RIM !
Old 12/22/09, 02:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I also went with the Eagle GT All Season and love them, great wet traction, corners unbelievably well, also had our first snow storm about 3 inches and the car did pretty good in the snow. Driving down the road was no issue (started out in 2nd). Had a little issue on a slight hill but made it out without a push, just some hard accelleration. Much better tire then the stock BFG's.
Old 12/22/09, 07:10 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
As I drive my GT/CS only during the spring/summer/fall times I went with the BF Goodrich KD's.
Great traction and I jumped to 265 size on the stock rims.
Has anybody changed their tires yet ?-dscf0186.jpg

Has anybody changed their tires yet ?-dscf0304.jpg
Old 12/22/09, 11:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I too use the Eagle GTs in the summer, I do like them, but next time I'm going wider, need it now with the SC.