2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Has anybody changed their tires yet ?

Search this Thread

Old 11/19/09, 05:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anybody changed their tires yet ?

My GT/CS recently reached 42,000 miles on the original BF Goodrich G-Force K D W S before needing to be changed . I do a lot of highway driving and thought that the mileage I got was really good ! Has anyone have better , or should I say, higher miles on their original tires ? If so, what did Ford put on your Mustang so we might compare what different make tires can do in terms of mileage / wet weather handling / snow , etc . I know of 1 other brand on the GT that was used was Hankook . What else did Ford use ?
Old 11/20/09, 05:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Well I had to replace my original BFGs at about 38k I do a lot of around town but also some longer weekend trips & 1 trip from CT to FL. I could have gone a little longer but with winter on the way I wanted something better for my daily New England driver so I got a set of Goodyear All Season High Performance Eagle GT 235/50 18. They are awesome in the rain, cornering & no road noise. Lets see how they do on the snow
Old 11/20/09, 02:21 PM
V6 Member

I replaced the factory BFG's at 20k miles with Nitto Invo's in a 245/45ZR18. Just because... Actually, I had a puncture in one of the rear tires, and needed to replace them instead of running with a large plug in it.
I don't drive it every day, and definately not when the weather's bad. It's a fair weather car!

Last edited by Krash; 11/20/09 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11/20/09, 08:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I had my tires slashed on the left side, and wound up replacing them all. They were *almost* due, but I figured I might've had up to 45k on them left.
Old 11/21/09, 12:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by pilatti1
Well I had to replace my original BFGs at about 38k I do a lot of around town but also some longer weekend trips & 1 trip from CT to FL. I could have gone a little longer but with winter on the way I wanted something better for my daily New England driver so I got a set of Goodyear All Season High Performance Eagle GT 235/50 18. They are awesome in the rain, cornering & no road noise. Lets see how they do on the snow
That was my thoughts as well when it comes to winter weather! Keep me informed as to how well your Goodyear tires work for traction in this winter's roads
Old 11/24/09, 10:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by red pony
My GT/CS recently reached 42,000 miles on the original BF Goodrich G-Force K D W S before needing to be changed . I do a lot of highway driving and thought that the mileage I got was really good ! Has anyone have better , or should I say, higher miles on their original tires ? If so, what did Ford put on your Mustang so we might compare what different make tires can do in terms of mileage / wet weather handling / snow , etc . I know of 1 other brand on the GT that was used was Hankook . What else did Ford use ?
Mine have 31k on them and need to be replaced really soon. Should be okay now here in FL since the rainy season is gone. Did anyone notice that the front tires always wear out on the inner sides? I think I'm going to replace mine with g-force KDW2...really cool looking pattern, but they are pricey.
Old 11/25/09, 04:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 07gtcs
Mine have 31k on them and need to be replaced really soon. Should be okay now here in FL since the rainy season is gone. Did anyone notice that the front tires always wear out on the inner sides? I think I'm going to replace mine with g-force KDW2...really cool looking pattern, but they are pricey.
Yeah, I know what ya mean by pricey! I never had a car with "Z" speed rated tires before, but the best price I got was from the Ford dealership I bought the car from! I may have done better on-line, but I'm not too keen about buying over the internet.
Old 11/25/09, 05:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I know what ya mean by pricey! I never had a car with "Z" speed rated tires before, but the best price I got was from the Ford dealership I bought the car from! I may have done better on-line, but I'm not too keen about buying over the internet.
Which ones did you get...the stock ones or these:
Old 11/25/09, 08:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 07gtcs
Which ones did you get...the stock ones or these:
The stock KWDS . That looks nice! What are they? Are they good for year-round use in rain/snow? Are they noisey?
Old 11/25/09, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

The stock KWDS . That looks nice! What are they? Are they good for year-round use in rain/snow? Are they noisey?
They are Bf's g-force. They are the ones I'm going to get...only problem is the price but they should be worth it.

This Ultra-High-Performance tire combines great traction with unflappable wet weather control. The KDW NT provides for long treadlife and a remarkably smooth quiet ride even at high speeds.
Old 11/25/09, 08:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
check discount tire
Old 11/25/09, 08:53 PM

Don't rule out the Ford dealer. I've gotten some really good deals from my local dealer on tires. My old car was a cougar and they even beat Walmart on a set of Uniroyals for it (far from a Mustang tire though)
Old 11/26/09, 05:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stangdude
Don't rule out the Ford dealer. I've gotten some really good deals from my local dealer on tires. My old car was a cougar and they even beat Walmart on a set of Uniroyals for it (far from a Mustang tire though)
1+ The price I got for 4 KDWS Z-rated tires at my Ford dealer was still cheaper than 5 other places I priced tires! 1 place that I always got the best price from was still 20 dollars a tire higher than my dealer!
Old 11/27/09, 09:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Guys check out the General Exclaim UHP. It's a great all season budget tire. I drive very hard and go up my favorite twisty mountain road (with really rough road surface) at least once a week and I got 28k miles out of them. Probably had another 5k, but I change up tires when they are "getting there". I just don't take chances, so a set of tires a year doesn't hurt my wallet too bad.
Old 11/27/09, 01:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Guys check out the General Exclaim UHP. It's a great all season budget tire. I drive very hard and go up my favorite twisty mountain road (with really rough road surface) at least once a week and I got 28k miles out of them. Probably had another 5k, but I change up tires when they are "getting there". I just don't take chances, so a set of tires a year doesn't hurt my wallet too bad.

"all season", I don`t think so. General Altimax HP is an all season
General Exclaim UHP is a ultra high performance summer only

Last edited by I-70 west; 11/27/09 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11/29/09, 08:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
After mine were getting down for some apparent reason, & with the weather we have here on the coast I wen with Good-Year Eagle F1 A/S and they are great, first day on light rain I took an off ramp that if I took at 80 kilo hr I'd start to slide with the Goodrich G Force , but with the Eagles I went up to 100 easy they hugged great, I then tried @ 120 same condition they were awsome , I was impressed with the traction on a wet road surface, so I'm extremely happy with them,

http://www.motortrend.com/features/1...son/index.html

Last edited by GottaHaveIt; 11/29/09 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11/29/09, 09:12 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I did not replace you got a whole new set with rims..NITTO 555
Old 12/8/09, 09:36 AM
Bullitt Member

I will be replacing mine soon. I plan on Goodyear Eagle F1-GSD3. Has anyone tried a 255/45 yet? They are the same overall height and I think would look better on our 8.5 rims.
Old 12/8/09, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by goldhillstang
I will be replacing mine soon. I plan on Goodyear Eagle F1-GSD3. Has anyone tried a 255/45 yet? They are the same overall height and I think would look better on our 8.5 rims.
Was wondering the same thing, how wide can we go on these rims?
Old 12/8/09, 07:41 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I went with the KDW NT's (new treads) when I got the black bullitt wheels.

I've only put about 8k miles on them, but they are great as far as a performance tire goes. But I don't drive the car in the rain and we never have snow so I can't speak about their handling in those conditions. As far as dry traction is concerned they are a vast improvement over the stock KDW's that were on the car.

I went 255/45/18 in front and 285/40/18 in back with the new 9 and 10 inch wheels.

The treads look cool too.

Quick Reply: Has anybody changed their tires yet ?