2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

GT/CS with SHELBY PIAA Lights

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/10, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just used the stock switch from the factory fogs. I used all the factory stuff. side note about the lights. I was on backorder for these lights and the bezel kit for about a year. After 6 months the driver side light went out. Called up Shelby, after about a month going back and forth with PIAA and Shelby, Shelby shipped me out a new complete set for FREE! Turns out it was just the bulb. I got a 225 dollar set for practically nothing.

ricksGT/CS...you on BMC? I think we are friends now. nice ride.
Old 1/14/10, 03:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by paratroopertlb
I just used the stock switch from the factory fogs. I used all the factory stuff. side note about the lights. I was on backorder for these lights and the bezel kit for about a year. After 6 months the driver side light went out. Called up Shelby, after about a month going back and forth with PIAA and Shelby, Shelby shipped me out a new complete set for FREE! Turns out it was just the bulb. I got a 225 dollar set for practically nothing.

ricksGT/CS...you on BMC? I think we are friends now. nice ride.
yes that's me,,thanks ,you to.
Old 1/21/10, 06:47 PM
Bullitt Member

What is BMC?
Old 1/21/10, 11:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Talking

Originally Posted by goldhillstang
What is BMC?
" Black Mustang Club ".com,,,,do you want to join ?
Old 1/23/10, 12:44 AM

Where is a good place to buy the SHELBY PIAA Lights .
Old 1/23/10, 08:50 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by McNeely16
Where is a good place to buy the SHELBY PIAA Lights .
I just put in the search engine "PIAA lights" and came up with a ton of sites, just brouse for price and style ( there are many ).
Old 1/23/10, 03:14 PM
Bullitt Member

You have to buy the Shelby ones to get the brackets thou

I'm installing mine today actually I have to move my intercooler with some spacers they outght to call them PITA lights for Pain In The ***!
Old 1/23/10, 03:17 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Old 1/23/10, 04:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Starfire
You have to buy the Shelby ones to get the brackets thou

I'm installing mine today actually I have to move my intercooler with some spacers they outght to call them PITA lights for Pain In The ***!
, I made my own brackets out of some thick sheet alum. and bent it to get the angle right, then drilled a hole and mounted them to a bumper susport stud. You have to get the nuts from a body shop as auto part stores do not have the right thread and size.
Old 1/24/10, 12:19 AM

Yeah i was looking for the Shelby ones with the brackets but i couldn't find them. The new shelby site really doesn't have anything on it.
Old 1/24/10, 01:28 AM
Bullitt Member

I got mine here:

http://www.mossmuscle.com/Shop/ViewP...41&SortOrder=2
Old 1/24/10, 02:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Do you have bore holes in the lower fascia area to mount these?
Old 1/24/10, 01:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes, shelby give a template it's not hard to make the holes. It is a pain if you have a SC, as you have to move things with spacers and what not. I just finished them, the drivers side one was off by 1/2" from the bracket so I had to modify that too. What a PITA, but I'm an expert at taking the bumper of now, had to do it twice, it's easy LOL.

I'll post a pic when I get a chance.
Old 1/24/10, 02:02 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GONE_N_60
Do you have bore holes in the lower fascia area to mount these?
Pic I had seen of install..

Last edited by Shotokan1509; 1/24/10 at 02:04 PM.
Old 1/26/10, 03:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
PIAA 004XTs are driving lights and according to PIAA should only be used with high beams. Only fog lamps are to be used with low beams and these are definitely not fog lamps. Wiring them into the fog connectors could get you a ticket. On the Shelby GTs the original factory fog lamps are retained and the PIAAs are added as driving lights. The real confusion is that Shelby has compounded the problem Ford created when Ford put the fog lamps too high. So with a Shelby GT with the PIAAs, the driving lights are too low where the fogs should be. Confused? It appears that both Shelby and Ford were as well.

BB
Semper Fi

Last edited by Centurion96; 1/26/10 at 03:23 PM.
Old 1/26/10, 04:34 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Centurion96
PIAA 004XTs are driving lights and according to PIAA should only be used with high beams. Only fog lamps are to be used with low beams and these are definitely not fog lamps. Wiring them into the fog connectors could get you a ticket. On the Shelby GTs the original factory fog lamps are retained and the PIAAs are added as driving lights. The real confusion is that Shelby has compounded the problem Ford created when Ford put the fog lamps too high. So with a Shelby GT with the PIAAs, the driving lights are too low where the fogs should be. Confused? It appears that both Shelby and Ford were as well.
BB
Semper Fi
(This is the place where I usually interject with my personal take on this, but I will refrain this time.)
You all know what I would say anyway.
Old 1/26/10, 09:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Would your personal interjection include something about Shelby GTs and Foglight Retention?

Old 1/26/10, 11:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My bad, I thought I had edited that out. I initially thought the fogs were retained behind the billet grille. I have not looked closely at the grille only because I have no interest in the Shelby GT and have never spent any time with one in person. I went to the Shelby pages to verify that they were behind the grilles but found a few photos that showed that they were indeed removed during the conversion process. I just didn't finish my edit correctly, you caught me. I still stand by my take on Ford's placement of the fog lamps and Shelby's placement of the driving lamps, the worst possible location for both excluding a roof rack.

Two years ago I stopped at a dealership in Orlando that happened to have a 2008 Vista Blue Shelby GT convertible sitting next to a 2008 Torch Red GT500 convertible. The Shelby was listed at $48k plus change and the GT500 was listed at $49K plus change. There was no ADM on either vehicle and at that moment seeing what could be had for almost the same price, I lost interest in Shelby America.

I find that there are a lot of people on these forums who don't understand the differences between driving lamps and fog lamps. In Florida you are only allowed a maximum of 4 forward illumination lights at any given time while operating on road. This can include 2 low beams and 2 fogs, two high beams and two driving, or 2 high beams and 2 low beams. In most cases driving lamps have no vertical cutoff so they cannot be used with low beams.

BB
Semper Fi
Old 1/27/10, 08:54 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Centurion96
My bad, I thought I had edited that out. I initially thought the fogs were retained behind the billet grille. I have not looked closely at the grille only because I have no interest in the Shelby GT and have never spent any time with one in person. I went to the Shelby pages to verify that they were behind the grilles but found a few photos that showed that they were indeed removed during the conversion process. I just didn't finish my edit correctly, you caught me. I still stand by my take on Ford's placement of the fog lamps and Shelby's placement of the driving lamps, the worst possible location for both excluding a roof rack.

Two years ago I stopped at a dealership in Orlando that happened to have a 2008 Vista Blue Shelby GT convertible sitting next to a 2008 Torch Red GT500 convertible. The Shelby was listed at $48k plus change and the GT500 was listed at $49K plus change. There was no ADM on either vehicle and at that moment seeing what could be had for almost the same price, I lost interest in Shelby America.

I find that there are a lot of people on these forums who don't understand the differences between driving lamps and fog lamps. In Florida you are only allowed a maximum of 4 forward illumination lights at any given time while operating on road. This can include 2 low beams and 2 fogs, two high beams and two driving, or 2 high beams and 2 low beams. In most cases driving lamps have no vertical cutoff so they cannot be used with low beams.

BB
Semper Fi
How come Roush is not concerned about 6 lights forward?

Also, as much as the people here don't understand the difference between driving and fogs, the PIAA driving lights, since they have a LOT of interference and even if they don't have a vertical cutoff, there really is a vertical cutoff, not in the lamp itself, but the shelby bezel and the top of the lower portion of the front bumper. If you look at the Shelby pics of the GT-H, you'll see the lights do the job nicely and I don't think you'll be pulled over because you have low beams and the driving lights on at the same time. I don't think any GT-Hs get pulled over because of that either, on any state...
Old 1/27/10, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Well just make sure there aimed correctly, as in not in a driver face! I have mine aimed just below the headlights when on dim.

Also as stated with my Saleen SC I had to get some spacers to move the intercooler back so the outlet hose wouldn't get in the way of the light, even then it was a very tight fit, I had to take my bumper off again just to adjust the one on the passenger side. I didn't have to move the pump though.

The one on the driver side is very easy though.

With the IC there is no way you will ever use the break cooling ducts, they are now intercooler ducts so it's not a bad thing lol.

Last edited by Starfire; 1/27/10 at 10:12 AM.

Quick Reply: GT/CS with SHELBY PIAA Lights