Notices
2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Front End Clunk...Finally Resolved

Old 11/24/09, 10:49 AM
  #1  
Mach 1 Member
Thread Starter
 
07gtcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: December 20, 2006
Location: Clermont
Posts: 594
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front End Clunk...Finally Resolved

Well, let me start by saying that I've been fighting the front end clunk battle since day one. It's been in several times to different dealers only for them to tell me that it is normal...and yes, I've printed the TSB and showed them. The last dealer told me that according to my serial number, the TSB was incorporated. Finally, since my warranty expired last Friday I decided to take care of a few things. This time I tried a different dealer and they actually listened and incorporated the TSB...Wow! My car is finally fixed and feels like a new car. I only had to wait three years and 30k miles to get it fixed...way to go Ford!!! I'm very dissapointed at most dealers in central Florida; however, I have to give kudos to Ford of Clermont. The rest of them can go pound sand.
07gtcs is offline  
Old 11/24/09, 10:53 AM
  #2  
Team Mustang Source
 
theedge67's Avatar
 
Join Date: July 4, 2006
Location: St. Louis Area
Posts: 2,872
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you waited until the warranty expired, or did you get it done before it expired? Not really clear on that one.
theedge67 is offline  
Old 11/24/09, 11:09 AM
  #3  
Mach 1 Member
Thread Starter
 
07gtcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: December 20, 2006
Location: Clermont
Posts: 594
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by theedge67 View Post
So you waited until the warranty expired, or did you get it done before it expired? Not really clear on that one.
Sorry about that...I took it in right before the warranty expired and they took care of it. On a lighter note, at 30k miles it feels like I'm driving a totally different brand new car.
07gtcs is offline  
The following users liked this post:
tourer (4/13/17)
Old 11/24/09, 12:49 PM
  #4  
Cobra R Member
 
fdjizm's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 6, 2008
Posts: 1,666
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what did they have to replace i am still under warranty i might as well look into this even though i don't notice front end clunk, do i have it coming lol
fdjizm is offline  
Old 11/24/09, 05:32 PM
  #5  
Mach 1 Member
 
CalStang'07's Avatar
 
Join Date: July 22, 2007
Location: "SW" Iowa
Posts: 702
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool So you finally got this fixed!

Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
what did they have to replace i am still under warranty i might as well look into this even though i don't notice front end clunk, do i have it coming lol
We had this front end suspension clunk TSB fixed by the dealership in the first month of ownership! Cannot blame Ford for not getting this TSB revision fixed. It all falls on the dealer your working with to take care of their own customers!!!

As for FD's 2008 GT/CS. Believe that all of these were built with this mod already incorporated? CalStang
CalStang'07 is offline  
Old 11/25/09, 03:43 AM
  #6  
Mach 1 Member
Thread Starter
 
07gtcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: December 20, 2006
Location: Clermont
Posts: 594
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
what did they have to replace i am still under warranty i might as well look into this even though i don't notice front end clunk, do i have it coming lol
If you don't notice it don't worry about it. They actually replaced the upper strut mounts so that it deadens a clunk going over cracks at low speeds (design resonance problem). I've been a gear head all my life and I picked up the sound right away after I bought it. Most people don't notice it. It sounds like an older car where some of the suspension components are worn out. Its not a safety issue...just very anoying if you know it's there.
07gtcs is offline  
Old 11/25/09, 03:57 AM
  #7  
Mach 1 Member
Thread Starter
 
07gtcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: December 20, 2006
Location: Clermont
Posts: 594
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CalStang'07 View Post
Cannot blame Ford for not getting this TSB revision fixed. It all falls on the dealer your working with to take care of their own customers!!!
You are probably right Cal...I have had bad luck with dealers in my area. Funny thing is the dealer I bought it from, the one that has given me more BS than anything, sent me a letter wanting me to trade in my Stang for a new vehicle. I think it's time to send them another nastygram. Besides, have you seen the new Stangs...WTF...Ford finally brought back the good looks of a retro Mustang with the S197 and screwed it up again. This is just my opinion, but the new ones are just as ugly as the 1974-1978.
07gtcs is offline  
Old 12/8/09, 12:11 PM
  #8  
Mach 1 Member
 
frank s's Avatar
 
Join Date: March 23, 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 533
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's a new one: TSB 09-24-16

"FORD:
2005-2010 Mustang
ISSUE
Some 2005-2010 Mustang 4.0L/4.6L, vehicles built on or before 8/3/2009 may exhibit a grunt/creak/squeak/chirp noise from the lower control arm hydro bushing. The grunt/creak noise may occur over large vertical bumps like speed bumps and pot holes. The squeak/chirp noise may occur over bumps rough roads, and driveway approaches."
frank s is offline  
Old 12/9/09, 06:10 PM
  #9  
V6 Member
 
DPDIAMOND44P's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 7, 2006
Posts: 63
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Uh Oh...

Originally Posted by frank s View Post
Here's a new one: TSB 09-24-16

"FORD:
2005-2010 Mustang
ISSUE
Some 2005-2010 Mustang 4.0L/4.6L, vehicles built on or before 8/3/2009 may exhibit a grunt/creak/squeak/chirp noise from the lower control arm hydro bushing. The grunt/creak noise may occur over large vertical bumps like speed bumps and pot holes. The squeak/chirp noise may occur over bumps rough roads, and driveway approaches."
I had the front-end clunk fixed earlier this year. My warranty expired last Friday, 3 years and only 1075 miles... I just hope I don;t have any more issues.. The work done on the front-end was great, no more clunking over bumps or holes at low speed, car handles great...
DPDIAMOND44P is offline  
The following users liked this post:
hotrodjohn71 (5/12/19)
Old 4/13/17, 08:17 AM
  #10  
Mm
Member
 
Join Date: November 29, 2016
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DPDIAMOND44P View Post
I had the front-end clunk fixed earlier this year. My warranty expired last Friday, 3 years and only 1075 miles... I just hope I don;t have any more issues.. The work done on the front-end was great, no more clunking over bumps or holes at low speed, car handles great...
everyone of this "CAR guys" kept mentioning work done on the vehicle and they fixed it. You guys really do not know what they changed in you car?!?
Mm is offline  
The following users liked this post:
hotrodjohn71 (5/12/19)
Old 4/13/17, 08:34 AM
  #11  
Bullitt Member
 
tourer's Avatar
 
Join Date: July 30, 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 245
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 07gtcs View Post
You are probably right Cal...I have had bad luck with dealers in my area. Funny thing is the dealer I bought it from, the one that has given me more BS than anything, sent me a letter wanting me to trade in my Stang for a new vehicle. I think it's time to send them another nastygram. Besides, have you seen the new Stangs...WTF...Ford finally brought back the good looks of a retro Mustang with the S197 and screwed it up again. This is just my opinion, but the new ones are just as ugly as the 1974-1978.
I Totally agree.
tourer is offline  
Old 4/13/17, 10:27 PM
  #12  
I tweaked the button...
...and got lucky!
 
houtex's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 2, 2004
Location: Insane
Posts: 5,697
Received 135 Likes on 120 Posts






This is some kind of record! 7 years, 5 months.





Seriously. Congrats on setting it!




houtex is offline  
Old 4/14/17, 05:27 AM
  #13  
Cobra Member
 
NC07GTCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: December 17, 2012
Location: Western NC
Posts: 1,163
Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts
Even though the initial post is older than dirt, I always appreciate info that I'm not aware of. I don't have the issue fortunately.
I have also had similar problems with Ford dealers over the years, actually decades. For me personally they are my least favorite of the Big 4 for getting things fixed right. Yes, I'm going all the way back to the AMC days when we owned two of their cars.
NC07GTCS is offline  
The following users liked this post:
hotrodjohn71 (5/12/19)
Old 6/20/17, 04:34 PM
  #14  
Team Mustang Source
 
GottaHaveIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: January 5, 2005
Posts: 11,364
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
One of my struts failed in the first year , I think they'd said it was a recall , because how else would they have known ? These are the same idiots that tried to tell me that I didn't have a cabin polin air filter to.
So my GT/CS being a 2007 & was long over due I replaced the struts shocks & springs Dec/16 & tomorrow I'm going to do the lower control arm with ball joints as that's just way easier then just doing the ball joints & likely take 3 hrs.
My original plan was just the ball , but why the joint & bushing will be all new to & with 34 bolts rather than a headache the car will ride like new.
Attached Thumbnails Front End Clunk...Finally Resolved-img_6439.jpg   Front End Clunk...Finally Resolved-img_6434.jpg   Front End Clunk...Finally Resolved-img_6436.jpg  
GottaHaveIt is offline  
The following users liked this post:
hotrodjohn71 (5/12/19)
Old 7/29/17, 03:13 PM
  #15  
Member
 
Join Date: July 29, 2017
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I real

Originally Posted by 07gtcs View Post
Well, let me start by saying that I've been fighting the front end clunk battle since day one. It's been in several times to different dealers only for them to tell me that it is normal...and yes, I've printed the TSB and showed them. The last dealer told me that according to my serial number, the TSB was incorporated. Finally, since my warranty expired last Friday I decided to take care of a few things. This time I tried a different dealer and they actually listened and incorporated the TSB...Wow! My car is finally fixed and feels like a new car. I only had to wait three years and 30k miles to get it fixed...way to go Ford!!! I'm very dissapointed at most dealers in central Florida; however, I have to give kudos to Ford of Clermont. The rest of them can go pound sand.
I realize it's a little late . But I had this clunk rattle problem with my 06 v6 mustang . I'm in the military, so we have auto hobby shops where we can get our cars on a lift and work on them ourselves . So today i did that , and I felt my front end sway bar end links and they were loose and had to be replaced . Easy fix, like 40$. So I installed those and now the clunk and rattle is gone , even over large bumps . I also bought new front end lower control arm ball joint assemblies just to be safe, but I haven't installed them yet . But the end links did fix it . Just some help for anyone that has that problem . Check those two parts because one of those is probably it .
Alix Benjamin is offline  
The following users liked this post:
hotrodjohn71 (5/12/19)
Old 10/6/17, 10:03 AM
  #16  
Team Mustang Source
 
GottaHaveIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: January 5, 2005
Posts: 11,364
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Klunk

Originally Posted by 07gtcs View Post
Well, let me start by saying that I've been fighting the front end clunk battle since day one. It's been in several times to different dealers only for them to tell me that it is normal...and yes, I've printed the TSB and showed them. The last dealer told me that according to my serial number, the TSB was incorporated. Finally, since my warranty expired last Friday I decided to take care of a few things. This time I tried a different dealer and they actually listened and incorporated the TSB...Wow! My car is finally fixed and feels like a new car. I only had to wait three years and 30k miles to get it fixed...way to go Ford!!! I'm very dissapointed at most dealers in central Florida; however, I have to give kudos to Ford of Clermont. The rest of them can go pound sand.
if you still have stock ball joints from Ford that are non serviceable they are likely toast, I was going to do mine but did the control arm @ same time, more cost effective. Btw old ball joint was so loose if
t fell out of its socket 😱
GottaHaveIt is offline  
The following users liked this post:
hotrodjohn71 (5/12/19)
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Fords4Ever
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech
9
10/30/15 09:07 PM
FromZto5
General Vehicle Discussion/News
75
10/5/15 02:27 PM
seaclam
2015 - 2020
3
9/25/15 01:29 PM
1001yos
Ford Discussions
0
9/8/15 10:05 PM
robjh22
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech
4
9/8/15 12:31 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front End Clunk...Finally Resolved


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.