The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f730/)
-   -   Front End Clunk...Finally Resolved (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f730/front-end-clunk-finally-resolved-478689/)

07gtcs 11/24/09 10:49 AM

Front End Clunk...Finally Resolved

Well, let me start by saying that I've been fighting the front end clunk battle since day one. It's been in several times to different dealers only for them to tell me that it is normal...and yes, I've printed the TSB and showed them. The last dealer told me that according to my serial number, the TSB was incorporated. Finally, since my warranty expired last Friday I decided to take care of a few things. This time I tried a different dealer and they actually listened and incorporated the TSB...Wow! My car is finally fixed and feels like a new car. I only had to wait three years and 30k miles to get it fixed...way to go Ford!!! I'm very dissapointed at most dealers in central Florida; however, I have to give kudos to Ford of Clermont. The rest of them can go pound sand.

theedge67 11/24/09 10:53 AM

So you waited until the warranty expired, or did you get it done before it expired? Not really clear on that one.

07gtcs 11/24/09 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by theedge67 (Post 5768580)
So you waited until the warranty expired, or did you get it done before it expired? Not really clear on that one.

Sorry about that...I took it in right before the warranty expired and they took care of it. On a lighter note, at 30k miles it feels like I'm driving a totally different brand new car.

fdjizm 11/24/09 12:49 PM

what did they have to replace i am still under warranty i might as well look into this even though i don't notice front end clunk, do i have it coming lol

CalStang'07 11/24/09 05:32 PM

So you finally got this fixed!

Originally Posted by fdjizm (Post 5768646)
what did they have to replace i am still under warranty i might as well look into this even though i don't notice front end clunk, do i have it coming lol

We had this front end suspension clunk TSB fixed by the dealership in the first month of ownership! Cannot blame Ford for not getting this TSB revision fixed. It all falls on the dealer your working with to take care of their own customers!!!

As for FD's 2008 GT/CS. Believe that all of these were built with this mod already incorporated? :unsure: CalStang

07gtcs 11/25/09 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by fdjizm (Post 5768646)

If you don't notice it don't worry about it. They actually replaced the upper strut mounts so that it deadens a clunk going over cracks at low speeds (design resonance problem). I've been a gear head all my life and I picked up the sound right away after I bought it. Most people don't notice it. It sounds like an older car where some of the suspension components are worn out. Its not a safety issue...just very anoying if you know it's there.

07gtcs 11/25/09 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by CalStang'07 (Post 5768712)
Cannot blame Ford for not getting this TSB revision fixed. It all falls on the dealer your working with to take care of their own customers!!!

You are probably right Cal...I have had bad luck with dealers in my area. Funny thing is the dealer I bought it from, the one that has given me more BS than anything, sent me a letter wanting me to trade in my Stang for a new vehicle. I think it's time to send them another nastygram. Besides, have you seen the new Stangs...WTF...Ford finally brought back the good looks of a retro Mustang with the S197 and screwed it up again. This is just my opinion, but the new ones are just as ugly as the 1974-1978.

frank s 12/8/09 12:11 PM

Here's a new one: TSB 09-24-16

"FORD:
2005-2010 Mustang
ISSUE
Some 2005-2010 Mustang 4.0L/4.6L, vehicles built on or before 8/3/2009 may exhibit a grunt/creak/squeak/chirp noise from the lower control arm hydro bushing. The grunt/creak noise may occur over large vertical bumps like speed bumps and pot holes. The squeak/chirp noise may occur over bumps rough roads, and driveway approaches."

DPDIAMOND44P 12/9/09 06:10 PM

Uh Oh...

Originally Posted by frank s (Post 5775928)
Here's a new one: TSB 09-24-16

"FORD:
2005-2010 Mustang
ISSUE
Some 2005-2010 Mustang 4.0L/4.6L, vehicles built on or before 8/3/2009 may exhibit a grunt/creak/squeak/chirp noise from the lower control arm hydro bushing. The grunt/creak noise may occur over large vertical bumps like speed bumps and pot holes. The squeak/chirp noise may occur over bumps rough roads, and driveway approaches."

I had the front-end clunk fixed earlier this year. My warranty expired last Friday, 3 years and only 1075 miles... I just hope I don;t have any more issues:dunno:.. The work done on the front-end was great, no more clunking over bumps or holes at low speed, car handles great...

Mîmš 4/13/17 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by DPDIAMOND44P (Post 5776737)
I had the front-end clunk fixed earlier this year. My warranty expired last Friday, 3 years and only 1075 miles... I just hope I don;t have any more issues:dunno:.. The work done on the front-end was great, no more clunking over bumps or holes at low speed, car handles great...

everyone of this "CAR guys" kept mentioning work done on the vehicle and they fixed it. You guys really do not know what they changed in you car?!?

tourer 4/13/17 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by 07gtcs (Post 5768927)
You are probably right Cal...I have had bad luck with dealers in my area. Funny thing is the dealer I bought it from, the one that has given me more BS than anything, sent me a letter wanting me to trade in my Stang for a new vehicle. I think it's time to send them another nastygram. Besides, have you seen the new Stangs...WTF...Ford finally brought back the good looks of a retro Mustang with the S197 and screwed it up again. This is just my opinion, but the new ones are just as ugly as the 1974-1978.

I Totally agree.:bad:

houtex 4/13/17 10:27 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...46f40e23d7.gif

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...afa944252c.png

This is some kind of record! 7 years, 5 months.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...087b9b9612.gif

Seriously. Congrats on setting it!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...3cf30f0712.gif

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...4c0881b1a8.gif

NC14GT 4/14/17 05:27 AM

Even though the initial post is older than dirt, I always appreciate info that I'm not aware of. I don't have the issue fortunately.
I have also had similar problems with Ford dealers over the years, actually decades. For me personally they are my least favorite of the Big 4 for getting things fixed right. Yes, I'm going all the way back to the AMC days when we owned two of their cars.

GottaHaveIt 6/20/17 04:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
One of my struts failed in the first year , I think they'd said it was a recall , because how else would they have known ? These are the same idiots that tried to tell me that I didn't have a cabin polin air filter to.
So my GT/CS being a 2007 & was long over due I replaced the struts shocks & springs Dec/16 & tomorrow I'm going to do the lower control arm with ball joints as that's just way easier then just doing the ball joints & likely take 3 hrs.
My original plan was just the ball , but why the joint & bushing will be all new to & with 34 bolts rather than a headache the car will ride like new.

Alix Benjamin 7/29/17 03:13 PM

I real

Originally Posted by 07gtcs (Post 5768576)
Well, let me start by saying that I've been fighting the front end clunk battle since day one. It's been in several times to different dealers only for them to tell me that it is normal...and yes, I've printed the TSB and showed them. The last dealer told me that according to my serial number, the TSB was incorporated. Finally, since my warranty expired last Friday I decided to take care of a few things. This time I tried a different dealer and they actually listened and incorporated the TSB...Wow! My car is finally fixed and feels like a new car. I only had to wait three years and 30k miles to get it fixed...way to go Ford!!! I'm very dissapointed at most dealers in central Florida; however, I have to give kudos to Ford of Clermont. The rest of them can go pound sand.

I realize it's a little late . But I had this clunk rattle problem with my 06 v6 mustang . I'm in the military, so we have auto hobby shops where we can get our cars on a lift and work on them ourselves . So today i did that , and I felt my front end sway bar end links and they were loose and had to be replaced . Easy fix, like 40$. So I installed those and now the clunk and rattle is gone , even over large bumps . I also bought new front end lower control arm ball joint assemblies just to be safe, but I haven't installed them yet . But the end links did fix it . Just some help for anyone that has that problem . Check those two parts because one of those is probably it .

GottaHaveIt 10/6/17 10:03 AM

Klunk

Originally Posted by 07gtcs (Post 5768576)

if you still have stock ball joints from Ford that are non serviceable they are likely toast, I was going to do mine but did the control arm @ same time, more cost effective. Btw old ball joint was so loose if
t fell out of its socket 😱

JimGilles 5/3/21 06:41 AM

I recently purchased a 2008 Mustang 4.0 Coupe Deluxe for my daughter's first car. It had 115k miles on it. From the Carfax and my personal inspection, it has turned out to be exactly what I was hoping it to be, an all original car that had no history of major mechanical issues. It was just driven by previous owners who had to do nothing to it. I wanted to be the one who performed the first maintenance on it. It had the original serpentine belt, spark plugs, fuel filter filled with very dark brown mirk, totally flat shocks, springs and struts, cloth seats, complete with drivers side hole in the lower outside back rest and totally glazed over headlights. In other words, a perfect car that had never been messed with by a wannabe teen age mechanic.

This forum helped me find the "clunk" in the front end. I read where someone suggested that the fastest, easiest and cheapest first step in the process of elimination is to remove the front stabilizer bar. I removed it and wa-la...no more clunk. Someone had placed a plastic shim behind the passenger side mounting clamp in an attempt to stop the "clunk." That was the first and only shade tree fix that the car had. New bushings are on the way.