You Know ADMs Are Dead When:

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/08, 05:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Just wanted to put my .2 in here. I posted it on another site in a very similar thread.

I paid msrp for my car. Long story, more on that later.

Myself and I many, many, others don't have a problem with a dealer pricing with adm as long as they are up front and honest about it. What I have a problem with are the dealers that lied or pulled some monkey business crap. They are many things that fall into this, but the 2 main ones are:

1. Dealers that told outright lies to increase their chance at selling above adm. Things like "this car is being built for only 1 year" and "they are only making 500 of them", etc. These lies won't fool any of the people that frequent this and other similar boards, but they might fool "Joe Moneybags" who has the extra cash and thought he was getting something he wasn't. These dealers created artificial collectibility.

2. Dealers that made a deal with a customer and then went back on their word. We've all heard these stories from when production first started. This is not some stupid salesman making up an on the spot lie. This is a deliberate dishonesty where a decision was made by someone high up in the dealership to be a slime sucking lying rat (apologies to rats here). Customer A, begin an enthusiast, makes a deal, perhaps even putting a deposit down, many months before production starts. He's first or 2nd in line and then the dealer backs out when they find out they can sell it for more to another customer. Sometimes there was not even another customer, they just wanted a huge adm because they "heard" of them selling for a $20K adm on ebay.

My story: In Aug 05 I went into the closest SVT dealer with a buddy of mine. This was before they decided to sell them at all dealers. My buddy and I both put down a deposit on cars and were told we were #2 and #3. Deal was MSRP. Both I and the dealer thought MSRP would be a good deal. The dealer still had a heavily discounted new 04 Cobra on the lot, so he thought he would be doing well for an MSRP deal. We were told the #1 car was going to a local Dr.

Fast forward over a year. The Doc gets the first car in Sept 07. My buddy got #2 in Oct 07. He got #2 by virtue of having known the dealer all his life. They didn't know when #3 (mine) would come in. Couple of months later the Doc is going through a divorce and trades his GT500 AND a Viper in for a plain truck and a pile of cash (bet the cash was hidden from the divorce lawyer). In jan 07 the dealer calls and says that they won't get another 07 and offers my deposit back. This is in direct contradiction to the allocation information that had been posted here by some trustworthy dealer employees.

I stopped in one day and politely asked the dealer gm about their allocation. I even showed him some allocation info. He says he is positive they won't get anymore. Two was it and I should just get my deposit back. I declined and said I'll just take the first 08. A few weeks later he told another friend of mine (Shelby GT buyer) that he thought I was trying to tell him how to run his business and he was ****ed about it. I finally got called by the sales manager in May 06 to come in and order my 08 (ordered Vapor). I stay out of their hair and call and check every couple of months. In Sept 07 I call and the sales mgr says they may not get any 08's at all based on a change in allocation. Offers my deposit back. I decline, told him I would leave it there until production stops. Also, around this time I had spotted an 07 at the #1 car Doc's office. Tungsten/satin stripes (my color shoice for the 07). Did a U turn and went back for a look. There was sticker on the back of it from the dealer I had my order with. I kept my eyes open for the Doc everytime I went by his office. I was hoping to see him outside and ask about the car. I was very suspicious that the dealer had sold my 07 to him.

I had just about given up. Even dipped into my down payment money I had saved and bought a nice little street/strip 66 Mustang.

Finally get a call in Dec 07 that my car was due 12-20-07. I quickly put the 66 up for sale and sold it break even a week later. I went in a couple of days early to get the paperwork ready. They had an 08 w white/blue on the showroom! (I was supposed to get the 1st 08!). They told me it wasn't for sale. The owner wanted to keep it for hmself. The day I picked mine up my buddy came clean. He was in for an oil change and one of the salesman had let it slip that they sold the 3rd 07 to the Doc. My car!!!!! My buddy said once he found out he got the gm, the sales mgr and the dealers son in an office together and chewed on them a little. He told them that I had been honest and had made an honest deal with them and they better get me a car. This was several months before I got mine. He didn't tell me because he knew I would made a scene and showed my *** at the dealership. He was right, I would have. May have went to jail. LOL About the 3 weeks after I got mine they sold the white/blue from the showroom to a guy 5 minutes from me for a small adm.

The car itself makes the wait worth it, but the wait would have been much less if the dealer gm had shown any integrity.

Sorry for the long rant, but this is the first time I've told my story.

David Cole
Well shame on your buddy. He should have told you this so YOU were the one making the decision to reward these a**holes for screwing you over. Personally I would not have given the slimeballs one penny of my money. There isn't a car in this world I want that bad. There isn't ANYTHING I want that bad.
Old 2/10/08, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by MustangLynda
Well shame on your buddy. He should have told you this so YOU were the one making the decision to reward these a**holes for screwing you over. Personally I would not have given the slimeballs one penny of my money. There isn't a car in this world I want that bad. There isn't ANYTHING I want that bad.
Nahhh. My buddy did go to bat for me as soon as he found out. He risked his sponsorship to do so. This dealership gives him a partial sponsorship on his drag car.

His chewing on them got me the car as quickly as possble since it was too late for the 07. If I would have went in and caused a scene it would have made me feel better for a short time, but I woud not have the car. Driving it is a reminder of why I waited. I did get it for MSRP and I'm sure that the Doc who got #1 and #3 paid a hefty ADM. If I ever meet him, I'll be sure to mention that.
Old 2/10/08, 05:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nahhh. My buddy did go to bat for me as soon as he found out. He risked his sponsorship to do so. This dealership gives him a partial sponsorship on his drag car.

His chewing on them got me the car as quickly as possble since it was too late for the 07. If I would have went in and caused a scene it would have made me feel better for a short time, but I woud not have the car. Driving it is a reminder of why I waited. I did get it for MSRP and I'm sure that the Doc who got #1 and #3 paid a hefty ADM. If I ever meet him, I'll be sure to mention that.
Yeah, I hear ya. I was just going on the assumption they're not the only dealer selling GT500's on the face of the earth!
Old 2/10/08, 05:56 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
... salesman had let it slip that they sold the 3rd 07 to the Doc. My car!!!!!
Hey!!! That's MY STORY!!!
Does the word "plagiarism" mean anything to you? You'll hear from MY LAWYERS!!!

Old 2/11/08, 04:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm sure that the Doc who got #1 and #3 paid a hefty ADM. If I ever meet him, I'll be sure to mention that.
Why dump on the doc? What did he do wrong? Did he know he was jumping in front of you?
Old 2/11/08, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by 1FAFP90
Why dump on the doc? What did he do wrong? Did he know he was jumping in front of you?
He knew that all the 07 cars for the dealership were spoken for, yet he pushed them with $$$$ to let him have a second car. He knew he was jumping in front of someone, he just didn't know who it was.
Old 2/11/08, 07:54 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
We had rich guys trying to bully their way up the line with wads of cash, too, and I took distinct pleasure in telling them "no."
Old 2/11/08, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Any thoughts on if the 2008 Challengers showing up on Ebay will hasten the demise of the GT500 ADMs? I think since the Challenger is the new "must have", this should help the ADMs on GT500 go away. Of course the local Ford dealer is claiming the release of the Challenger has renewed interest in the entire market, and therefore GT500 demand has increased again. They are currently ~$4,000 over MSRP.

mitch
Old 2/11/08, 12:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been commonly thought that when the '09 Challys come out, and they start building 30K of them a year, that MSRP will be easy to obtain, maybe even less as the '09 model year winds down. What intrigues me is that while we have seen spy shots of what is apparently a 2010 GT500, there has been nothing from Ford on a possible '09 model. I think this, more than anything, will determine GT500 ADMs over the next several months. If Ford does not announce an '09 soon, I believe that interest in getting an '08 will spike back up. And that's not good for ADMs. I believe that if no '09 is forthcoming, even dealers who are now selling at MSRP may change their tune. I see that being a factor in ADMs more than Challenger pricing.
Old 2/11/08, 06:40 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mjbarnet
the local Ford dealer is claiming the release of the Challenger has renewed interest in the entire market, and therefore GT500 demand has increased again.
Mitch, I hadn't really put two and two together, but we have seen demand start to perk up a little lately for GT500's. Nothing like the original pent up demand in 2005 to early 2006 with several emails and calls daily for GT500's, but we are getting a couple guys a week emailing or calling us about GT500's, after about 6 months of very little interest in them. I'm not sure what's causing the renewed interest, but JonW has an interesting thought, as well, about the effect of 2009 GT500 production (or lack thereof) on current interest. Could also be the feds conspiring to doom musclecars as we know them with the new CAFE ratings. It's probably a whole bunch of different factors.
Old 2/11/08, 07:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
I'm not sure what's causing the renewed interest
Maybe it's folks who've heard MSRP is becoming more commonplace. Spring is just around the corner.

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
It's probably a whole bunch of different factors.
YUP !
Old 2/11/08, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Maybe it's folks who've heard MSRP is becoming more commonplace. Spring is just around the corner.

YUP !
I just wish Ford would announce an 09 run so I could get a new one for MSRP,
at least used ones with less than 1,000 miles are showing up on EBay for ~$46,000
Old 2/12/08, 12:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

YUP !
That is exactly what I was thinking.
Old 2/12/08, 10:30 PM
Cobra Member

at least used ones with less than 1,000 miles are showing up on EBay for ~$46,000
That's why they aren't announcing an '09 run yet
Old 2/13/08, 09:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RCSignals
That's why they aren't announcing an '09 run yet
I completely agree, and while I can't believe there won't be a 2009 run you never know what bold move Ford might pull.
Old 2/14/08, 01:02 PM

This is exactly what they were saying when I joined this site just over a year ago......hurry and up and announce the 2008, so I can get a 2007 for MSRP!! For the mostpart, it didn't happen. Then, ADM's were going to disappear when Fall arrived and demand was down, then because it was winter, now it's when they announce a 2009. Sheesh, is this fixation with ADM's ever going to end?
Like almost all Canadian buyers, I paid a huge ADM for my GT500 and, frankly, I couldn't care less. If I hadn't, there was likely no chance I would ever see a GT500 in my garage. I wanted a GT500, ordered it the way I wanted it, and I'm having a blast driving the greatest car I've ever owned. Some of you will never see a GT500 in your garage either unless you get over fretting about ADMs. Do you want one or not? There are still ADM's on GT500's (but not everywhere), and there likely will be on Challengers and Camaros, too. If 2009 see's a shortened run of GT500's and a new Shelby is born in 2010, the whole ADM scenario will continue. I suggest you get out there and make the best possible deal you can right now.....if you really want one.
JR
Old 2/14/08, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Amen! I spent my life regretting missing the heyday of the American Factory Hotrod by just a few years. I had to settle for used, and self modified Hotrod Fords & Lincolns (Nice powerful rides, sure, but not quite the same) my whole life.

I ordered my Factory 500 Horsepower Ford Mustang GT500 exactly like I wanted it. It is surprisingly smooth refined, and unbelievably powerful. It meets or exceeds all of my expectations! I am 100% satisfied, and truth be told in retrospect I would pay more than I did for it. I’ve been waiting my whole life for this car. Driving it is UNBELIEVABLE!

I suggest as you plan and scheme about waiting to get your new GT500 at MSRP or less, remember 1972! That was the first year of a basically 30+ year dry spell in American Factory Muscle Cars. The Horsepower wars ended in 1971, Ford really didn’t start back into them (in “production” cars) until 2003. Yes there were a few limited availability oddities here and there, but nothing that can be pointed to from Ford as re-igniting the CAR horsepower wars until the 2003 Cobras. With the energy (I don’t ever expect to see gas going under $2.50 per gallon in my lifetime), environmental (The new much more stringent Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards) and economic (FoMoCo on the ropes, GM suffering the largest all time loss, death of the Dodge Viper) climate of today, 2008 may well be the last 500 horsepower Ford for many years to come, probable ever in internal combustion gasoline engines anyway.

If you bite the bullet and get your GT500, in 10 years you won’t be remembering the few thousand extra dollars that is keeping some of you from owning your own new GT500. Just think of the doubts reaffirmed for every BOSS 429, 428 and 429 SCJ original owner as they drove their cars through the embarrassingly anemic 1970, 1980, & 1990’s. If you let the opportunity slip by, I guaranty you will live with regrets for many years to come…

Originally Posted by Allegro
This is exactly what they were saying when I joined this site just over a year ago......hurry and up and announce the 2008, so I can get a 2007 for MSRP!! For the mostpart, it didn't happen. Then, ADM's were going to disappear when Fall arrived and demand was down, then because it was winter, now it's when they announce a 2009. Sheesh, is this fixation with ADM's ever going to end?
Like almost all Canadian buyers, I paid a huge ADM for my GT500 and, frankly, I couldn't care less. If I hadn't, there was likely no chance I would ever see a GT500 in my garage. I wanted a GT500, ordered it the way I wanted it, and I'm having a blast driving the greatest car I've ever owned. Some of you will never see a GT500 in your garage either unless you get over fretting about ADMs. Do you want one or not? There are still ADM's on GT500's (but not everywhere), and there likely will be on Challengers and Camaros, too. If 2009 see's a shortened run of GT500's and a new Shelby is born in 2010, the whole ADM scenario will continue. I suggest you get out there and make the best possible deal you can right now.....if you really want one.
JR
Old 2/14/08, 06:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Muscle cars were dirt cheap in the mid 70s. Because of the same reasons the factories quit making them, the people quit buying them, new or used (in fact, that is why they quit making them). So, by the above logic, if they quit making cars like this, you should be able to buy one dirt cheap in the near future as cars like this fall out of favor.

People believing they won't get a car unless they pay an ADM is what is fueling ADMs. If we all refuse to pay them, they will go away. All cars that command ADMs eventually come down (of course really rare ones like Carrera GTs and the like excluded). Those that wait will still be able to get a car and save a lot of dough.

A friend of mine argued this with me this time last year. He paid $15,000 over for his and got it in March 2007. I waited until I could get one at sticker in August. He had his 5 months longer than me. I saved $15 grand by being patient. Since that time he fell victim to the first year mechanical demons and had to have his tranny replaced.
Old 2/14/08, 08:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Muscle cars died in 1973 due to 3 converging scenarios: expensive fuel (and the OPEC embargo), high insurance rates, and federal emissions standards. Most musclecar people agree that 1970 was the high-water mark. By 1973, they were gone (except for the SD Trans Am). 22 years later, in 1985, when the musclecar market started exploding, we still had gasoline-powered cars and we had plenty of gasoline to put in them.

I see a different scenario this time around. For one thing, the modern V8-powered musclecar will not be gone in 3 years. It will be a much more gradual phase-out this time around. I give it 10 years, maybe 8. In addition, 22 years from now we may not have gasoline as our primary source of motor vehicle fuel. Hydrogen, electric, and who knows what else could be mainstream by then. So, in the worst case scenario, we are in the year 2030, and we (or our heirs) have gasoline-powered, fuel-thirsty vehicles that we cannot get fuel for. Or if we can, it is prohibitively expensive.

We, the public, really didn't see 1973 coming. It came fast and hard. We can see 2030 coming and we are already preparing for it. We will see more V6-powered muscle cars, maybe even hybrid-powered musclecars. So we will be able to gradually adapt. We understand that the Shelbys and Camaros and Challengers will be short-lived, and we are preparing for that. So we have a lot more warning this time around.

The unknown is fuel. Will we have gasoline available on a widely available basis like we do now? If not, how will that affect the value of our current musclecars? Will they be a museum piece, unable to be driven? Will we be able to convert them to some sort of alternative fuel? Who knows what will happen 22 years from now.

This is why I believe that the Shelbys, Camaros, and Challengers of today could either be the next Barrett-Jackson heroes, or they could become dusty remnants of a politically-incorrect past. So, enjoy 'em now while you have 'em. And if you're letting only an ADM stand in your way, you may miss out again.
Old 2/14/08, 09:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sure I don’t disagree, you may get them much cheaper, but I lived that once already. I don’t want a used one, h3ll I don’t even want a new one ordered different from my preferred ordering specifications… For me it is a moot point.

As distasteful as I find Additional Dealer Markups, and I find them absolutely repugnant, I am not bothered by them enough to miss my, very likely once in a lifetime opportunity to order exactly to my specification and buy a brand spanking new 500 horsepower Ford.

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Muscle cars were dirt cheap in the mid 70s. Because of the same reasons the factories quit making them, the people quit buying them, new or used (in fact, that is why they quit making them). So, by the above logic, if they quit making cars like this, you should be able to buy one dirt cheap in the near future as cars like this fall out of favor.

People believing they won't get a car unless they pay an ADM is what is fueling ADMs. If we all refuse to pay them, they will go away. All cars that command ADMs eventually come down (of course really rare ones like Carrera GTs and the like excluded). Those that wait will still be able to get a car and save a lot of dough.

A friend of mine argued this with me this time last year. He paid $15,000 over for his and got it in March 2007. I waited until I could get one at sticker in August. He had his 5 months longer than me. I saved $15 grand by being patient. Since that time he fell victim to the first year mechanical demons and had to have his tranny replaced.

As to being able to get gasoline, nobody reading these threads will be alive longer than gasoline will be available. The only uncertainly about gasoline is how much you will have to pay for it. There’s plenty of it, and will be for decades to come.

Originally Posted by JonW
Muscle cars died in 1973 due to 3 converging scenarios: expensive fuel (and the OPEC embargo), high insurance rates, and federal emissions standards. Most musclecar people agree that 1970 was the high-water mark. By 1973, they were gone (except for the SD Trans Am). 22 years later, in 1985, when the musclecar market started exploding, we still had gasoline-powered cars and we had plenty of gasoline to put in them.

I see a different scenario this time around. For one thing, the modern V8-powered musclecar will not be gone in 3 years. It will be a much more gradual phase-out this time around. I give it 10 years, maybe 8. In addition, 22 years from now we may not have gasoline as our primary source of motor vehicle fuel. Hydrogen, electric, and who knows what else could be mainstream by then. So, in the worst case scenario, we are in the year 2030, and we (or our heirs) have gasoline-powered, fuel-thirsty vehicles that we cannot get fuel for. Or if we can, it is prohibitively expensive.

We, the public, really didn't see 1973 coming. It came fast and hard. We can see 2030 coming and we are already preparing for it. We will see more V6-powered muscle cars, maybe even hybrid-powered musclecars. So we will be able to gradually adapt. We understand that the Shelbys and Camaros and Challengers will be short-lived, and we are preparing for that. So we have a lot more warning this time around.

The unknown is fuel. Will we have gasoline available on a widely available basis like we do now? If not, how will that affect the value of our current musclecars? Will they be a museum piece, unable to be driven? Will we be able to convert them to some sort of alternative fuel? Who knows what will happen 22 years from now.

This is why I believe that the Shelbys, Camaros, and Challengers of today could either be the next Barrett-Jackson heroes, or they could become dusty remnants of a politically-incorrect past. So, enjoy 'em now while you have 'em. And if you're letting only an ADM stand in your way, you may miss out again.

Quick Reply: You Know ADMs Are Dead When: