Sigh... clutch issues :(

Old 10/31/10, 01:56 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Sigh... clutch issues :(

Well almost had 18,000 trouble free miles on the clutch Got an appointment scheduled on monday @ 8:00 am to drop off the car and see what the dealer says?

I had no obvious problems right up until I was stuck in some bad traffic on friday two weeks ago. I checked the TSB and my car doesn't exhibit the tranmission problems associated with the TSB (my only complaint is notchy shifting) but man the clutch sure is going south fast.

Last week it only slipped occasionally and under a heavy load (ie; low crusing rpm at highway speed), now anytime you mash the gas and there is a moderate load the clutch spins to about 4500 rpm and finally grabs.

I'm interested to see what they say? I haven't treated this car any different than my past two MT Mustangs and traded both those cars in with 70 and 80k respectively on the drivetrain with no clutch issues.

Whelp fingers crossed in any event, not really keen on coughing up 3k or more to fix a problem that shouldn't be happening this early.
Old 10/31/10, 07:52 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
that sucks dude, good luck with the dealer.
Old 11/1/10, 11:35 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Okay, round one (paraphrasing) Yes there is a TSB, but its only 12 months/12k on the clutch and if you want it fixed 2800.00s

Not that I didn't expect this, so I guess I'll go up the chain and see what I can do about it.
Old 11/5/10, 03:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about your clutch problem. IT does sound a little different than the problems we were having in the early ones with the light weight flywheel warping and roasting the clutches. Let us know how things work out for you. Hopefully you get it covered.
Old 11/6/10, 09:57 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Sorry to hear about your clutch problem. IT does sound a little different than the problems we were having in the early ones with the light weight flywheel warping and roasting the clutches. Let us know how things work out for you. Hopefully you get it covered.
Ford said the same as well "sorry about it 12/12k only", the vexing part for me about the situation is my two prior Mustangs at trade in time both had over 70k on the odo and niether needed a new clutch and there was no overall difference in driving style - the only change in my driving style with the GT500 was to engage the clutch quicker because I knew about the warping issue.

I'll try going through Ford's reccomended resolution process per the warranty manual, but if I'm unsuccessful, I dont think I'll be using a factory clutch or letting the dealer install the clutch (partially because I can knock 800 to 1000 off of that repair bill, and they wouldn't install an aftermarket clutch any way) and I dont see where I should reward Ford and by dint of thier association, the dealership for a problem that resulted from normal vehicle operation (until someone can prove otherwise).
Old 12/12/10, 06:13 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by bob
Ford said the same as well "sorry about it 12/12k only", the vexing part for me about the situation is my two prior Mustangs at trade in time both had over 70k on the odo and niether needed a new clutch and there was no overall difference in driving style - the only change in my driving style with the GT500 was to engage the clutch quicker because I knew about the warping issue.

I'll try going through Ford's reccomended resolution process per the warranty manual, but if I'm unsuccessful, I dont think I'll be using a factory clutch or letting the dealer install the clutch (partially because I can knock 800 to 1000 off of that repair bill, and they wouldn't install an aftermarket clutch any way) and I dont see where I should reward Ford and by dint of thier association, the dealership for a problem that resulted from normal vehicle operation (until someone can prove otherwise).
It's not 12/12... It's 3 yrs./36K. Go to fordgt500.com or teamshelby.com for detailed information on remedying your problem. Numerous GT500 owners have had their clutch, pressure plate, and T/O bearing replaced under the lastest TSB within the 3/36 period.

Last edited by SteelTownStang; 12/12/10 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12/14/10, 05:41 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

It is 12/12 on wear items like the clutch and brakes (as well as the paint), and thats where Ford and the dealer are making the distinction, also from what I understand currently dealers have been very reluctant to cover the TSB under warranty unless the car conforms completely to the bulletin because Ford will not pay for the reapir, my car only has the clutch trouble, not the transmission issue (currently I've parked the car as I get the parts for repair).
Old 12/15/10, 04:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by bob
It is 12/12 on wear items like the clutch and brakes (as well as the paint), and thats where Ford and the dealer are making the distinction, also from what I understand currently dealers have been very reluctant to cover the TSB under warranty unless the car conforms completely to the bulletin because Ford will not pay for the reapir, my car only has the clutch trouble, not the transmission issue (currently I've parked the car as I get the parts for repair).

… you forgot to mentioned tires… but we’re not talking about tires and brakes, right? It's obvious what wear items are with regards to 12/12. The TSP I’m referring to covers the warped flywheel/clutch issue due excessive heat. It's possible that you just burned-up you clutch. If so, then it’s on you, however, if your clutch problem derives from a manufacture defect, hence, the TSB, then it’s covered under 3/36- wear item notwithstanding. You apparently have it all figured out, but if you would like to further educate yourself on the matter, here’s a link: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind..._1#entry910167
Good luck!
Old 12/16/10, 08:23 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
… you forgot to mentioned tires… but we’re not talking about tires and brakes, right? It's obvious what wear items are with regards to 12/12. The TSP I’m referring to covers the warped flywheel/clutch issue due excessive heat. It's possible that you just burned-up you clutch. If so, then it’s on you, however, if your clutch problem derives from a manufacture defect, hence, the TSB, then it’s covered under 3/36- wear item notwithstanding. You apparently have it all figured out, but if you would like to further educate yourself on the matter, here’s a link: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind..._1#entry910167
Good luck!
Nope didn't burn up the clutch, dealer even said it was a TSB issue and said like Ford I had exceeded the warranty period.

I'm still checking into it, my uncle told me today he checked with his dealer and his dealr said both Ford and the local dealer are blowing smoke up my ****. Thanks for the link btw, as soon as I get a chance I'll go through it.
Old 1/22/11, 03:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

I think I would try another dealership. I have been seeing a wide array of this problem being covered or not. Different dealerships are treating it differently. If you are stuck paying for it, you might as well have Ford do the repair. When they get in there, then maybe they will be able to determine if the flywheel caused the clutch failure. If the flywheel caused the failure, it should be 5/60 warranty as that is drivetrain. OF course, I would go to a dealership that has had a lot of experience with this exact problem. Maybe you can find a large dealer in your area and ask them if they have done several of these repairs.

Good luck.
Old 4/21/11, 03:03 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Well decided to go with an aftermarket clutch and flywheel from McLeod (the lightened steel flywheel and RXT double disc clutch - according to McLeod the flywheel/clutch combo has the same mass as the factory setup). I checked on the car today ans the clutch was out with the flywheel and interestingly thr flywheel looks undamaged, no burn marks on the flywheel or any appearence of high or low spots, just a little bit of chattering on thr wheel itself, yet the clutch was slipping really bad.

I wondering now if disc that engages the backside of the floater ring is where its slipping?

On good thing to come out of it though (I guess), the guy putting in my clutch thought I had gotten some pretty decent life out of it at around 20k before pulling it. He's had two or three GT500's come through his shop and in one case, the owner was on their third factory clutch in 50,000 miles.
Old 4/21/11, 04:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by bob
Well decided to go with an aftermarket clutch and flywheel from McLeod (the lightened steel flywheel and RXT double disc clutch - according to McLeod the flywheel/clutch combo has the same mass as the factory setup). I checked on the car today ans the clutch was out with the flywheel and interestingly thr flywheel looks undamaged, no burn marks on the flywheel or any appearence of high or low spots, just a little bit of chattering on thr wheel itself, yet the clutch was slipping really bad.

I wondering now if disc that engages the backside of the floater ring is where its slipping?

On good thing to come out of it though (I guess), the guy putting in my clutch thought I had gotten some pretty decent life out of it at around 20k before pulling it. He's had two or three GT500's come through his shop and in one case, the owner was on their third factory clutch in 50,000 miles.
Congrats on the new clutch. McLeod is one of the best. GL
Old 4/22/11, 07:30 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Congrats on the new clutch. McLeod is one of the best. GL
Almost went with SPEC until I had read a few posts here and had the chance to PM somebody with a RXT setup on (gasp!!!) the Camaro board I hang out on. I also checked Exedy but couldn't find an application for my car. Out of the remaining aftermarket bunch, McLeod seemed like the best bet.
Old 5/1/11, 07:20 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Well, got the clutch in and found out it wasn't the TSB problem after all, despite what my dealer had told me. With the flywheel and clutch out of the car I was able examine the secondary disc and flywheel which were in great shape.

The installer asked how much mileage I had recieved and I told him 20k total (began slipping around 18k and got progressively worse). He thought that was great given another customer has had three factory clutches installed in 50,000 miles.

The other comment was "you must drive the crap out of your car". Well sorta, but I had read about the issue with the gen 1 GT500 clutches and learned pretty quick not to slip the clutch, but rather rev and engage the clutch with as littler or no slip as possible. Only occasisonally do I have to do so when some knucklehead thinks pulling away from a green light involves repeated stop and go movements from zero to .00000000001 mph is the correct way to drive (but I digress).

I didn't examine the primary disc or the floater in the clutch, but given the condition of the secondary and my predilection for just barely disengaging the clutch enough to shift (which frankly wasn't much if barely at all) when I'm on the fly. I'm gonna go with the primary wearing out against the floater due to my driving habits.

Anyways per my sig, I have the McLeod RXT installed and I'll see how it goes.

---> so much for reading my own posts

As for the RXT, engagement is very light, I'd say the same or lighter than the standard GT clutch and the cobra jet fluid line does indeed communicate more than the plastic line did. Clutch should be all broken in by next week and week after that, I'l lbe down at the local track seeing how the other mods do.

Last edited by bob; 5/1/11 at 07:23 PM.