Need advice on trading for GT500

Search this Thread

Old 6/22/08 | 10:20 PM
Post *****

I love my car that much more for the sound of the LT headers, high flow cat x-pipe, and Borla stingers. It sounds the way a V8 American muscle car should, in my humble opinion. The exhaust is for me to hear and not so I can sound off for everyone else. I think its an important part of the experience otherwise I would not have spent over 2k on these mods if I didn't beleive so. Its also not about the compliments, even though I always get them from both people that see the car and hear it. Many older men tell me how the sound reminds them of a car they had, or a car they wanted but couldn't buy.
Old 6/23/08 | 01:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thumbs down If you don’t like my posts, don’t read them

I don’t have a clue why you seem to have this strange obsession with me, or my posts, but you are way off base here.

What does not being "in the humble category" have to do with looking for attention? As to wanting everyone in the world to know I have a GT500 or constantly reminding and rubbing it in “their” faces??? WTH are you talking about?

If you insist on presenting yourself as an authority on my posts, you are the one who needs to review them and refresh your own messed up memory. Every one of my posts about “how great the GT500 is” are either in agreement with someone else’s praise about the GT500 or in direct response to someone else’s misguided BS statement posted here about the GT500, It’s either too heavy or can’t handle or the price is too high.

As to being a "classless snob", I think you have that position handled all by yourself.

You don't have a clue who I am or what I am looking for.
If you don’t like my posts, don’t read them.

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
Kevin and I share the same position with respect the exhaust note. It's about the muscle car sound. Who needs or places a priority on getting attention over enjoying the moment of driving these cars?

So you don't like attention? Really? You might like to review your posts and refresh your memory. You might find many them are not exactly in the humble category. If there has been one GT500 owner roaming these forums who wants everyone in the world to know he has one and has to constantly remind and rub it in their faces it has been none other than you. If that is not "drawing any extra attention" then what is? Frankly I am surprised none of the guys over at the GT forums called you a classless GT500 snob.

We should count our blessings you didn't get a Ford GT instead.
Old 6/23/08 | 02:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

It sounded OK but wasn't worth the attention

I know the chances of the sound of your exhaust making a difference in getting a ticket are way more than thin.

I learned this a long time ago. My 1971 Torino had an unimpressive 302 and an extremely loud exhaust system. Headers with short straight through glass packs emptying out under the seats. IT WAS LOUD! It sounded cool too. You absolutely heard me coming way before you saw me.

I got pulled over all the time, most of the time without even breaking any traffic laws. Evidently we did not have a noisy exhaust law, because I never got written a ticket for that. I can’t count the number of times I sat there waiting while the cop tried to come up with something to ticket me for. This happened on a regular basis in many different jurisdictions, for two years.

It sounded OK but wasn't worth the attention and associated hassles it attracted, and certainly wasn't worth the permanent hearing loss I suffered from it.

Well out came the 302; in went a 1971 429-cobra jet engine and two of the biggest mufflers I could get and tail pipes out to the back bumper. The same car was making twice the power, with less than half the NOISE, same paint, same wheels, same driver driving even faster and magically I stopped getting pulled over, It was like becoming invisible...

As to it being the speed getting you noticed and ticketed and not a loud exhaust that is simply not true. I can speed past cops in my truck all the time. They just do not look at trucks to be speeders. They listen, and look for erratic driving, not simply speed.

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I did not upgrade mine to get attention. I did it for me. I love the sound of the V8. I wanted to be able to hear it inside the car better. I have never even heard mine outside the car. I have not let anybody drive mine without me in it aside from my brother taking his wife for a low speed drive down the road and back. She wouldn't let him step on it.

The axle backs give it a little extra punch without offending the neighbors. I have no interest in taking it any farther than that. A buddy has the full headers/X-pipe/axle backs (SSW). His car is way too loud.

The chances of the sound of your exhaust making a difference in getting a ticket are thin. By the time he hears you, you are already past him. Unless the cops in your area all just sleep or look down all the time. The ones in my area look up and use radar to catch speeders. It is the speed that will get you noticed and ticketed.
Old 6/23/08 | 07:19 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Black GT500
My 1971 Torino had an unimpressive 302 and an extremely loud exhaust system. Headers with short straight through glass packs emptying out under the seats. IT WAS LOUD! It sounded cool too. You absolutely heard me coming way before you saw me.
I think the point many of us were trying to make was that there is a difference between obnoxiously loud and adding a different exhaust for a deeper, throatier rumble. I don't recall anyone saying they wanted an exhuast to rattle windows, just more of a musclecar sound. There are literally hundreds(if not thousands) of posts on this, and other forums, comparing and contrasting various exhaust combinations and rarely do you get more than 2 people who agree on the same set-up. It is a very personal issue. Having said that the one thing you do find an overwhelming amount of agreement on is that the stock exhaust is somewhat anemic. If you don't feel that way that's fine, again a personal choice. Those who are disappointed with it are likely not looking for attention, just a diiferent sound.
Old 6/23/08 | 10:56 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

If you don’t like my posts, don’t read them
It tastes a lot better going down than coming up doesn't it?

Welcome to the world where you don't have choice.
Old 6/23/08 | 01:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Dad's72Mach
I think the point many of us were trying to make was that there is a difference between obnoxiously loud and adding a different exhaust for a deeper, throatier rumble. I don't recall anyone saying they wanted an exhuast to rattle windows, just more of a musclecar sound. There are literally hundreds(if not thousands) of posts on this, and other forums, comparing and contrasting various exhaust combinations and rarely do you get more than 2 people who agree on the same set-up. It is a very personal issue. Having said that the one thing you do find an overwhelming amount of agreement on is that the stock exhaust is somewhat anemic. If you don't feel that way that's fine, again a personal choice. Those who are disappointed with it are likely not looking for attention, just a diiferent sound.
I agree here with Tom. The axle backs don't make the car obnoxious. They simply tune it and turn it up a notch.

The point is, everyone has their opinion on which exhaust is the best including stock. The reason we are all arguing is that you (BlackGT500) started out with something along the line of "you guys crack me up that need to change exhaust just to get attention." That is simply not true.
Old 6/24/08 | 12:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Reading comprehension not your strong suit?

Fer crying out loud, I said no such thing. I never said or inferred "you guys need to change exhaust just to get attention."

Every time I quietly speed past a cop, it just happened again this evening, he didn't even look up, I think of all you guys who just have to make your exhaust systems louder. I get a kick out of it.

I like to drive fast, I don't need anything, stripes, loud exhaust or anything else to draw any extra attention to my fast driving.
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I agree here with Tom. The axle backs don't make the car obnoxious. They simply tune it and turn it up a notch.

The point is, everyone has their opinion on which exhaust is the best including stock. The reason we are all arguing is that you (BlackGT500) started out with something along the line of "you guys crack me up that need to change exhaust just to get attention." That is simply not true.
Old 6/24/08 | 05:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

I went back and re-read it. You are right, you never said that. I must have just read it wrong originally.