Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What's the BFD with IRS?

Search this Thread

Old 11/5/08, 11:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True. A decked out V6 Z is pushing 40K.

Bang for buck winner and still champion: Mustang...
Old 11/5/08, 12:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Zoomie
True. A decked out V6 Z is pushing 40K.

Bang for buck winner and still champion: Mustang...
I love the fun drive of a RWD V8 but the bang for buck champ is my book is the new WRX. Think about it it is just as fast, better handling and braking and the benefit of AWD! I just wish Subaru made these in coupe form!
Old 11/5/08, 12:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
I love the fun drive of a RWD V8 but the bang for buck champ is my book is the new WRX. Think about it it is just as fast, better handling and braking and the benefit of AWD! I just wish Subaru made these in coupe form!
Yeah, but I think they ruined the exterior styling
Old 11/5/08, 01:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GT5088
Yeah, but I think they ruined the exterior styling
I agree, if it had a coupe version or a decent looking sedan, it might be in my realm of competition. I dont care for the hatch looks. Mazda Speed 3 is much better looking.
Old 11/5/08, 01:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT

I think they'd have to take out a lot more than 220 lbs for that V6 to beat the 2011 5.0L V8, if the Stang remains the same weight...which it's predicted to do.
I highly doubt the 2011 GT will remain the same weight. We are seeing added content, a bigger engine, and a heavier 6 speed manual. I'd guess the GT is around 3600 lbs, which is a minor weight gain. At that weight the power to weight ratios of both cars are very similar.
Old 11/5/08, 01:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4x4 sport coup in addition to the rear wheel drive Mustang

All the things people complain about in the interiors of the Mustang are magnified in the Subaru's interior. Cheap and Unrefined is what pops foremost into your head when you sit in one...

I like the idea of all wheel drive for a car too. I've been driving 4X4 trucks since 1982. But honestly in a car driven exclusively on paved roads in 95% of the US it simply overkill and unneeded cost, complexity and weight. For four wheel versus two wheel rear drive traction, just look at the Corvette. The times I use 4x4 (most of these times a 2x4 would still git-er-done) on the paved roads can easily be counted on one hand each year. I more often lock my manual hubs (Yes real 4x4 trucks still use Manual Locking Front Hubs) just in case I need 4x4 yet never end up engage my transfer case, even in snowy winter weather and even on our mountain passes.

I do not care for Subaru's quality or creature comforts, among other things. What I wish is Ford would offer a 4x4 2 door 300+ horsepower sport coup, in addition to the rear wheel drive Mustang.

Old 11/5/08, 02:02 PM
Cobra Member

I'm personally not a fan of a busy interior...less is more in my mind...keep it simple.
Old 11/5/08, 04:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Black GT500
All the things people complain about in the interiors of the Mustang are magnified in the Subaru's interior. Cheap and Unrefined is what pops foremost into your head when you sit in one...

I like the idea of all wheel drive for a car too. I've been driving 4X4 trucks since 1982. But honestly in a car driven exclusively on paved roads in 95% of the US it simply overkill and unneeded cost, complexity and weight. For four wheel versus two wheel rear drive traction, just look at the Corvette. The times I use 4x4 (most of these times a 2x4 would still git-er-done) on the paved roads can easily be counted on one hand each year. I more often lock my manual hubs (Yes real 4x4 trucks still use Manual Locking Front Hubs) just in case I need 4x4 yet never end up engage my transfer case, even in snowy winter weather and even on our mountain passes.

I do not care for Subaru's quality or creature comforts, among other things. What I wish is Ford would offer a 4x4 2 door 300+ horsepower sport coup, in addition to the rear wheel drive Mustang.
Have you seen the interior of the new WRX? I agree the outgoing 07 model had a low grade interior but the new car's interior is top rate, much better than the current Mustang. Take a look at an 05-up Legacy to get an idea. As far a durability goes it is no less reliable than a Mustang. I'm not saying that the Subaru has the build quality of say a Lexus, but c'mon that isn't a Mustang strong point either.

I understand, but disagree with your argument for not needing AWD, and I agree you don't need AWD but it helps in dry pavement too! Both the Subaru WRX, STI and Mitsubishi EVO are some of the best handling cars in the world, so I don't see AWD as overkill...... just superior technology. The Subaru's AWD system is actually quite light weight as is most of the materials of the car just about 3200lbs, about 800 less than the GT500. I see you own a GT500, the top of the line Mustang and I can assure you that the Subaru will knock your socks off in the twisties. I see the WRX's all season capability as a bonus but not the main attraction for buying an AWD sedan.

I'm a Mustang guy, but I gotta show love for Subaru too, I think the WRX is gonna join the stable in a year or two.
Old 11/5/08, 04:14 PM
Cobra Member

Have you seen the interior of the new WRX? I agree the outgoing 07 model had a low grade interior but the new car's interior is top rate, much better than the current Mustang. Take a look at an 05-up Legacy to get an idea. As far a durability goes it is no less reliable than a Mustang. I'm not saying that the Subaru has the build quality of say a Lexus, but c'mon that isn't a Mustang strong point either.

I understand, but disagree with your argument for not needing AWD, and I agree you don't need AWD but it helps in dry pavement too! Both the Subaru WRX, STI and Mitsubishi EVO are some of the best handling cars in the world, so I don't see AWD as overkill...... just superior technology. The Subaru's AWD system is actually quite light weight as is most of the materials of the car just about 3200lbs, about 800 less than the GT500. I see you own a GT500, the top of the line Mustang and I can assure you that the Subaru will knock your socks off in the twisties. I see the WRX's all season capability as a bonus but not the main attraction for buying an AWD sedan.

I'm a Mustang guy, but I gotta show love for Subaru too, I think the WRX is gonna join the stable in a year or two.
I dunno about anyone else, but when I look at a car such as a Mustang, the interior isn't the priority...as in, thats not what I am concerned about...give me a comfortable seat, gauges, nice shifter and a steering wheel and I am all set.
Old 11/5/08, 04:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
I agree, if it had a coupe version or a decent looking sedan, it might be in my realm of competition. I dont care for the hatch looks. Mazda Speed 3 is much better looking.
Take a look at the 09' model, they made some minor tweaks that have done a great deal to improve its overall look compared to the 08' model. It's amazing what ground effects and a new grille can do!
Old 11/5/08, 04:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by GT5088
I dunno about anyone else, but when I look at a car such as a Mustang, the interior isn't the priority...as in, thats not what I am concerned about...give me a comfortable seat, gauges, nice shifter and a steering wheel and I am all set.
I agree, but I was answering BlackGT500's criticism of Subaru interiors compared to the Mustang
Old 11/5/08, 04:16 PM
Cobra Member

I agree, but I was answering BlackGT500's criticism of Subaru interiors compared to the Mustang
touche'
Old 11/5/08, 04:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not just the interior...

Not just the interior, but the whole riding experience in them, Subaru's always feel cheap and kinda like the ride quality and passenger compartment was an afterthought...

Please explain what improvements you think Ford has done to the interiors of the Mustangs? Nothing I've seen strikes me as "greatly improved"...

Old 11/5/08, 04:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Black GT500
Not just the interior, but the whole riding experience in them, Subaru's always feel cheap and kinda like the ride quality and passenger compartment was an afterthought...

Please explain what improvements you think Ford has done to the interiors of the Mustangs? Nothing I've seen strikes me as "greatly improved"...
I personally love the interior design of the current 05-09 Mustang, my only beef is the cheap quality plastics used for it. This should be a non-issue when the 10' Mustang hits the streets. If you check out Ford's new 10' Mustang sight it has pretty much focused on the interior more than anything else.

The Subaru's driving experience, like the interior quality is greatly improved my friend. The new Impreza model lineup has moved upmarket. If you are at all familiar with the Legacy model it will give you some insight to what I'm talking about. I have recently test drove one and can't stop raving about it. This new WRX still gives a firm, sporty ride but it isn't as harsh...kinda reminds me of the Mustang's improvement from 04' to 05'. The interior looks like something from a 30k car and not a bargain basement rental like the old Imprezas. Some of it's biggest critics ***** about it's new more mature look but I like it a lot more than it's old "boy racer" image.
Old 11/5/08, 05:01 PM
Cobra Member

...I like Subaru's more now than I did in the past/
Old 11/5/08, 05:56 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by max2000jp
I highly doubt the 2011 GT will remain the same weight. We are seeing added content, a bigger engine, and a heavier 6 speed manual. I'd guess the GT is around 3600 lbs, which is a minor weight gain. At that weight the power to weight ratios of both cars are very similar.
True. But the torque rating and where it arrives in the powerband will be vastly different.
Old 11/5/08, 10:08 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Would it be possible to retro fit the 2010 interior trim panels, console, and shifter bezel on my 2005 GT ? Although I really like the overall interior design of the current 05-09 Mustang, I just can't stand the cheap quality plastics that are used.

On the other hand, what I really like most about the 2010 interior. Is the Mustang now looks far more refined, just like a true sports/muscle car should.
Old 11/6/08, 12:30 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Would it be possible to retro fit the 2010 interior trim panels, console, and shifter bezel on my 2005 GT ? Although I really like the overall interior design of the current 05-09 Mustang, I just can't stand the cheap quality plastics that are used.
I sincerely doubt it. And even if you could, it would likely be cost-prohibitive.

Just gonna have to trade up, dude.
Old 11/6/08, 06:29 AM
Cobra Member

I wouldn't want to know how much money it would cost, but it would be a realistic possibility of being done...its more or less built off the same platform...
Old 11/6/08, 08:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm sure it can be done. When the 2010s become prevalant, and someone totals one, scope out the parts from it and see what can fit and what can't.

Quick Reply: What's the BFD with IRS?