2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Two items I'm still not decided on...

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/10, 02:45 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
How long before all those digital pictures we've been taking and storing for future viewing turn out to be "unviewable" because the formats are obsolete and the operating systems that run the software to view them are gone?
There will always be programmers out there looking to fill the void. Back in Ye Olde Days of Yore, we had shareware. Then freeware became all the rage. Now it's open source. No matter what label you slap on it, somebody will want to come forward and make sure that the tools are out there to do the job. I know; I've done my share of open-source programming over the years.
Old 4/29/10, 10:09 PM
GT Member

OT

Originally Posted by trane
I know; I've done my share of open-source programming over the years.
Sweet! Here's my webpage. http://people.freebsd.org/~tmclaugh/

Need to update it one of these days.
Old 4/29/10, 10:19 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, the g/f got me a 160gb iPod Classic today, so my music collection can finally fit on there. Still leaning towards the Elec. Pkg. More people I talk to, the more I hear nothing but good things from those that use it daily. That's a good thing for me and making the decision easier.
Old 4/30/10, 06:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by trane
There will always be programmers out there looking to fill the void. Back in Ye Olde Days of Yore, we had shareware. Then freeware became all the rage. Now it's open source. No matter what label you slap on it, somebody will want to come forward and make sure that the tools are out there to do the job. I know; I've done my share of open-source programming over the years.
Yeah, I AM a programmer.

I'm just thinking beyond the typical evolution of technology we've experienced since Windows came out. I'm thinking "next gen" operating systems that are so revolutionary they change the way we think. It's possible we've missed that boat and humans are so conditioned now to the current technology that it won't happen. But I'm thinking holographic displays, new man-machine interfaces, and entirely different paradigms for working with data.
Old 4/30/10, 09:34 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tmclaugh
Sweet! Here's my webpage. http://people.freebsd.org/~tmclaugh/
Mono? Yikes. That's a big project! I've done a couple of small utilities for FreeDOS and a BOINC workunit progress monitor for Linux (BOINCprog) back before BOINC had the nice UI on that platform. All are still available, but no longer maintained.

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
But I'm thinking holographic displays, new man-machine interfaces, and entirely different paradigms for working with data.
It'll happen, but there'll always be somebody who can take the old and meld it with the new. We now return you to our regularly scheduled, uh, programming.
Old 6/17/10, 05:04 AM
Cobra Member

Very interesting opinion's, very hard decisions, money vs value vs practicality vs cool vs resale vs necessity vs aging/old-technology vs fear of wrong decision...

A poll would be interesting.

LQQK
Old 6/17/10, 07:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd never spend good money on a performance car for things that don't add to the performance. Just my opinion but I'd rather go for the Brembo package and put the $600 difference in my pocket.
Old 6/17/10, 09:11 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

after living with the Nav package for a while I have decided that Lia's new taurus will have it as well.
Its great, does so much more than nav, such a great interface
Old 6/17/10, 01:24 PM
Banned

I've bought numerous new cars, and this is what I do:

Decide what I can afford. Get everything that I can within that budget that I can't live without (for me that's A/C and cruise, which are standard nowadays). And if there's room left over, get everything that you can that can't be upgraded later.

After my soul-searching I've decided on the EP over the Shaker1000 because you can always get a sub (even a factory one) and install it later even if you have to split the signal to the rears with crossovers. You can't, however, change the head unit easily; and as someone who uses a GPS for traffic updates, I'd rather not have to suction-cup a GPS in my new toy.
Old 7/27/10, 09:48 PM

Yes, the integration is nice, but on the other hand, integrated units are usually a couple of years behind the latest portable devices, and will only become more so as the years go by.
Old 7/27/10, 09:57 PM
GTR Member

If they happen to up the rebates any higher, it makes the decision that much easier. With only $500 and A-plan, I could swing it, but I'd always prefer a little more back in my pocket.
Old 7/27/10, 10:42 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Buddy
Yes, the integration is nice, but on the other hand, integrated units are usually a couple of years behind the latest portable devices, and will only become more so as the years go by.
You are absolutely right. I bought a 5" TomTom and we just got back from our first trip in the new GT. I cannot tell you how happy I am not to have bought the factory navigation as we did in my wife's MKZ. The TT cost one tenth as much, is much easier to use and more accurate to boot. And one DVD update for the MKZ costs as much as the TT did (and I got free lifetime map updates and traffic with it).
Old 7/27/10, 10:54 PM
Cobra Member

I was going back and forth on the electronics package. Same basic thought process that you're stating. i picked up my car with electronics package 3 days ago. I've had garmin. I've had a kenwood with garmin nav. This thing kicks the poo out of anything I've had previously.

Also i thought I would never use the hard drive. Wow, I was wrong. I've never been much of a music guy, but apparently that's only because I haven't had this set up. Thus far I've loaded just under 200 songs and I'm enjoying them/it tremendously. Prior to this thing, I would likely be listening to talk radio. The last 3 days it's all my favorite music all the time. I love, love, love the electronics package. Plus it's tons of fun to show off all the neat stuff it'll do!!!

Get it, you won't be sorry. Cut out french fries, cola, dessert, bears... or what have you, $40 per month is easy to come up with.
Old 7/28/10, 06:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've had mine for a week now and don't regret it one bit. I don't think i've listened to Sirius for more than a few minutes since I can finally get all of my music in my car w/o any hassle. Just plug in my iPod and go.
Old 7/28/10, 06:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eric n
I was going back and forth on the electronics package. Same basic thought process that you're stating. i picked up my car with electronics package 3 days ago. I've had garmin. I've had a kenwood with garmin nav. This thing kicks the poo out of anything I've had previously.

Also i thought I would never use the hard drive. Wow, I was wrong. I've never been much of a music guy, but apparently that's only because I haven't had this set up. Thus far I've loaded just under 200 songs and I'm enjoying them/it tremendously. Prior to this thing, I would likely be listening to talk radio. The last 3 days it's all my favorite music all the time. I love, love, love the electronics package. Plus it's tons of fun to show off all the neat stuff it'll do!!!

Get it, you won't be sorry. Cut out french fries, cola, dessert, bears... or what have you, $40 per month is easy to come up with.
Cut out the bears? I guess you mean beers!
Old 7/28/10, 07:38 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
I know this is my first post here at TMS but I do want to weigh in on this one, only because I am going through the same decision, just not on the seats. I have many different reasons for inclining towards including the Electronics Package.

Everyone in this post has named off all of the good reasons so I will go off of my own experiences:

I used to do professional audio installation while I was in college, went to a school for it and everything so I am familiar with all the best Pioneer/Priemer, Alpine, etc.. systems. All great with Pioneer leading the pack in all technologies. Not an opinion, this is the truth, they put millions upon millions into their Nav system work. Alpine is in a close 2nd but this is beside the point. NONE of the aftermarkets can compare to the modern integrated systems. Some are really great but even my 2003 Honda Accord has all electronic functions routed through it. I won't even get started on my 335i with iDrive Nav, good god.
All this being said, I would have to say that Ford's is the best in my opinion. I love our BMW's, it is incredible but I feel Ford's new system is more intuitive and easier to use, whether that is with the phone (I have never seen a NAV system that has a text reception, but Ford's does), or just basic NAV functions. Super easy and the big screen is great. It even does split screen!
Second note is that since I used Blue Force Tracker (GPS Based Battlefield Tracking System) in Iraq, I love having access to the map data if I want to make my own route. It also gets me familiar with areas I am not so much, very quickly.
Third, I am an Electrical Engineer, this should answer its self.

I really hope I can afford the NAV because I really want it. The 2010+ Mustang is turning into a premier car. A legitimate force against the best Euro/Japanese contenders. This is why I chose the 2011 Mustang as my new car. I sat in it and fell in love.

The seats...if I were you, I'd go Black on Cashmier, it looks pretty nice.
Personally, I love the old school look the 400A pkg brings to the car with the leather. I on the other hand am still trying to decide between Black or Saddle, it's much tougher than I thought it would be. I would really like the Sport Seats out of the 335i put in the Mustang, they are snug and nice.
Don't know why, just think the stripe down the center of the seats is gimmiky, sorry guys, I just do. Wouldn't turn it down though, still like the interior.

Just my piece. Too verbose, my bad, I'll keep my post minimal from here on.
First person I have found to mention Blue Force Tracker on these forums..lol.

Just need some Dukes/Warlock/MMBJ jammers on the back of the Mustang to kill all cell signals around you!
Old 7/28/10, 07:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by RedWings
I've had mine for a week now and don't regret it one bit. I don't think i've listened to Sirius for more than a few minutes since I can finally get all of my music in my car w/o any hassle. Just plug in my iPod and go.
Yeah, I had XM in my Caddy and used it a lot when I wasn't using the 6 disc changer. But with the MP3 hookup in the Mustang, Sirius will NOT be renewed. I really don't need to hear about Dinovite and male enhancement drugs interspersed with my classic rock.
Old 7/28/10, 12:45 PM
Cobra R Member

I don’t have the Electronics pkg, but was given a 2010 GT as a loaner overnight that DID have the package, so I became familiar with it. As compared to my regular Shaker 500 system I found the following negatives:
- Nav screen VERY bright. I know it's adjustable but I had difficulty getting it to not be a nuisance at night yet still be able to read it
- The nav screen is too far from the driver’s normal line of sight. I guess you get used to it, but I really was thinking it could increase chances of an accident.
- Didn’t like the display of the Nav info itself (I normally use a Garmin Nuvi 205W)
- I didn’t like not having ***** to turn (it’s mostly touch screen).

But there were Positives:
- I LOOOVVED the Sirius weather forecast function. Internet-quality graphics at your fingertips.
- Having all information in one display was handy
- Separate driver/passenger climate control was very nice (had it on my last car, a Honda Accord V6). Still, I don’t much miss it in my Mustang now.
Overall, I came to appreciate what the Electronics pkg does, but I am happy that I did not spend $2340 extra to get it. If it was under $500 I’d take it though.
Gizmo Geeks: these are just MY opinions, you are entitled to your own opinions. Don’t be like my ex-wife and try to tell me how my opinion is wrong.
Old 7/28/10, 12:56 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Gizmo Geeks: these are just MY opinions, you are entitled to your own opinions. Don’t be like my ex-wife and try to tell me how my opinion is wrong.
Eric, your opinion is so wrong!

One thing I've noticed, although it doesn't apply to the Mustang just yet, but for those new vehicles getting MyFord Touch, you can opt the navigation in for only $800 more. If that were the case with this car, I think most people would just opt for it if they've got MFT already. I think it's a fabulous package and offers the best vehicle integration on the market, but the price is just steep.

Someone did say though, skip the long nights at the bar, Starbucks, and fast food, and you'll never worry about it. That is true. Not to mention it's good for ya.
Old 7/28/10, 02:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Eric you're out of your mind if you think a manufacturer could offer those features for $500 or less.

Quick Reply: Two items I'm still not decided on...