Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Two items I'm still not decided on...

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/10, 06:47 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RandyW
I just remembered a related conversation I had with a friend last summer. I was telling her about my plans for getting a new Mustang and she told me not to get the navigation system. She knows nothing about the Mustang in particular but believes she's an expert in all things automotive. I won't go through the entire stupid conversation but the thing that was the most mind boggling was when I was trying to explain Sync to her. Yes, I know you don't have to have Nav to get Sync but I was explaining it anyway. She had never heard of it but she was absolutely positive that it won't play MP3s unless they were ripped from very new CD's. She also told me that car companies trick people into buying navigation systems and then once you have finished paying the car off, they cut you off from the nav satellites, until you send them some more money.
The only part of that that is remotely true is the nav. disc itself. Those are a little pricey, but we shouldn't have to buy one for at least 4-5 years. Last I heard, they come in around $150-200 depending on setup.

I guess if you drop the money on the system, be prepared for the more expensive long-term items that might arise.
Old 4/28/10, 07:51 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eci
Garmin SUCKS. So does TomTom, Magellan, and the rest. If you like little 4.3" screens with spotty voice recognition, lousy speakers, sure, go for it. The system in the electronics package is far better bar none.
I have a Garmin in each car. Both have been flawless and they cost me about $100 each. Maybe you're mad because you spent $2,200 more than me for basically the same thing. Sucker
Old 4/28/10, 07:59 PM
Cobra R Member

I think the Electronics Pkg has a few more capabilities than the $100 Garmin. . . but you are correct that if you want basic nav, a simple Garmin/tom tom/whatever will work. So will an atlas. So will asking directions (ever watch Bull Run?)

I have used both the simple GPS and the integrated nav/phone/audio systems. For something I plan to use daily, I'll take the integration over mutliple "simple" devices. if money was more of an issue, I'd skip it and settle (keyword: settle) for the basic GPS.
Old 4/28/10, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Great, I think all this talk has convinced me to get the EP! Figure I could use it in the DC area since I've never lived there before.
Old 4/28/10, 08:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by whysoserious
Great, I think all this talk has convinced me to get the EP! Figure I could use it in the DC area since I've never lived there before.
DEFINITELY! I've been here 17 years and I still need nav to get around. Between the constant construction, jammed roads, and lack of willingness to explore because of the first two. . . it's worth it. So when you're in the first two, you can entertain yourself with the amazing audio system.
Old 4/28/10, 08:05 PM
GTR Member

I have Sprint Nav through my Palm Pre, and the Garmin in a pinch, but they both lack some function. I can do most of the same things that the Travel Link offers, but it's a lot more clumsy to access it.

I mentioned it in another thread, I think the dual-zone climate should be part of the comfort package instead of the electronics package, because that seems like a more fitting place for it. If that was the case, this might be an even harder decision though.

I'm pretty sure I'll stick with my original plan for it.
Old 4/28/10, 08:08 PM
GT Member

I just seen a really nice Kona Blue 2010 at a local Carshow. It had the Black with Grabber Stripes- It clashes. I really does. The Grabber Blue striped seats belong on the Grabber Blue Car- period. Black with Cashmere (white) is neutral and will work with the Kona, But -

If I was getting a Kona, I'd probably go with a 400a interior and just get the black charcoal seats- minus the stripes. Kona and an all Black Interior would be really nice...

The electronics package is really nice. If you're a techy and geekish, then dont deny yourself- get the Electronics package- you'll have the coolest sportscar, with the coolest electronics package----
Old 4/28/10, 08:12 PM
V6 Member

Sorry for the simple question, never really use navs, but does the electronics package give real time traffic updates? That would be handy for driving around during rush hour?
Old 4/28/10, 08:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by treygil
Sorry for the simple question, never really use navs, but does the electronics package give real time traffic updates? That would be handy for driving around during rush hour?
I believe the Sirius travel link does. Anybody with the EP wanna confirm this?
Old 4/28/10, 08:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by treygil
That's part of the Sirius Travel Link.. a subscription based service that's free for the first 6 months.

From the Sirius site:
What is the cost of the services to the Ford vehicle owner?
SIRIUS Travel Link is only available when the appropriate navigation and SIRIUS audio package is purchased, a six-month Sirius Travel Link data package is included as part of the package.
After the six-month package, you can purchase all 5 services for $5.99/month, with a SIRIUS audio subscription.

http://www.sirius.com/travellink/faq
Old 4/28/10, 09:43 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by Novelty goat
I have a Garmin in each car. Both have been flawless and they cost me about $100 each. Maybe you're mad because you spent $2,200 more than me for basically the same thing. Sucker
If you think a Garmin GPS unit is the equivalent of the Electronics Package in the Mustang you are completely ignorant when it comes to the Mustang. Move along.
Old 4/28/10, 10:14 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by eci
If you think a Garmin GPS unit is the equivalent of the Electronics Package in the Mustang you are completely ignorant when it comes to the Mustang. Move along.
Well let's see, the heart of the electronics package is basically a nav system. It's primary function is IDENTICAL to the Garmin. The Garmins offers the benefits of being portable should you wish to transfer it to another car, it can function as a handheld device, and you can buy 24 of them for the price of the one Ford sticks you for.

So yeah, I guess you're right, the Garmin is not equivalent, it is vastly superior from a value standpoint.

Here is the thing, if someone has enough money that paying $2,400 for an integrated $100 GPS with fancy graphics is the same as a normal person buying a bag of chips, then go for it. But since 90 % of the people on this board have to borrow money to buy their cars, it is a colossal sucker move to have to finance $2,400 to have a $100 GPS stuck in your dashboard.

But it's your money and I will defend your right to be a sucker with my dying breath.
Old 4/28/10, 10:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Eh, I still can't justify spending 2400 bucks for weather, traffic, movie tickets, nav, and some more voice activated stuff.
Old 4/28/10, 10:16 PM
eci
Banned

rofl, much ignorance. =)

All The Ep Is A A 1 HuNDre DOllAh GpS TUCk IN ThE DASh bORd!!!

Garmin....LOL

So sad that people who can't afford things hate on those that can =)
Old 4/28/10, 10:20 PM
eci
Banned

lol

That'll pass in a rented Camry, but not a Mustang!

Last edited by eci; 4/28/10 at 10:23 PM.
Old 4/28/10, 10:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I'm still thinking this whole order through and I've come to the final points that are still under consideration:

1 - Electronics Package - At $2400, it's a lot of money for a nav that I have via phone or Garmin, a hard drive I'd rarely use, HD radio, which would be nice, and dual zone climate control that would also be a nice luxury/upscale feature. That would lower my payment by at least $40 alone, and it wouldn't be a waste if I left it off. On the other hand, I do want it and I think it's a great setup for the car, and cleans up the center stack a lot. I like how seamless that system is, and the screen works well in the cars I've driven.

2 - Interior seat color - I was originally going to do black/cashmere, but now I'm giving the GB stripe a second look. Just not sure if going with a colored stripe vs. a neutral color is something I'd want to live with every day (mind you, the car will be Kona blue).

Just throwing this out for discussion and some other views on each topic. Discuss.
I say no to the electronics package because of the screen. It is a huge distraction to look down and navigate a touchscreen while you're driving. You might as well try to text and drive. The Sync system plus a USB thumb drive does most of what the electroics package does, plus it costs less and doesn't take your eyes off of the road. Really, the only thing you won't get from Sync + USB drive is HD radio and automatic climate control.

Seat color- I'd go with the cashmere stripe on a kona car. The grabber blue stripe would look good in black, gray, silver, and grabber blue cars. The red seats would look nice in white, black, silver, or gray cars.
Old 4/28/10, 10:29 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
I say no to the electronics package because of the screen. It is a huge distraction to look down and navigate a touchscreen while you're driving. You might as well try to text and drive.
No problems here. Do you ever look at your speedo? Your tach? Your gauges? Your mirrors? Isn't anymore distracting then that.

I think those bashing it have never owned a car with it =) I've driven it both ways. Totally lacking without. Cheapens the car.

Last edited by eci; 4/28/10 at 10:33 PM.
Old 4/28/10, 10:47 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
That's part of the Sirius Travel Link.. a subscription based service that's free for the first 6 months.

From the Sirius site:
What is the cost of the services to the Ford vehicle owner?
SIRIUS Travel Link is only available when the appropriate navigation and SIRIUS audio package is purchased, a six-month Sirius Travel Link data package is included as part of the package.
After the six-month package, you can purchase all 5 services for $5.99/month, with a SIRIUS audio subscription.

http://www.sirius.com/travellink/faq
Thanks Jerry, very helpful. I read that as great for six months, the I have to pay for a radio subscription package plus the 5.99 for the traffic update.
All in all, I think I will pass on the electronics package.
Old 4/29/10, 04:56 AM
GT Member

5 years ago this Electronics package would of been a really big deal.

But we have Smart Phones these days too- Great examples are Android Phones, Iphones, Palm Pres, etc

The phones use Google to navigate with Maps, Voice Search, Etc, etc

BUT-
I would imagine if you're using your Mustang a lot, or love to travel- the Electronics package would be an excellent feature to have in your Car- If I was a camper and retired, and towed my car behind my RV and went to all different states- this Electronics package would be a must. Also, if you use your car as a daily driver, and have to travel between cities, and states, would make for a really nice travel time- Or youre a business sales guy who uses your car. Or someone whos bored stuck in traffic-

In most cases, having an automatic with the electronics package would make it easier to use too

By the way, I have the Android Droid Smartphone- I love it and it does just about everything...

Last edited by ipodintampa; 4/29/10 at 04:58 AM.
Old 4/29/10, 06:00 AM
Cobra R Member

I find it ironic that "ipodintampa" has an Android phone.

Yeah, yeah, I know an iPod and an iPhone are different but usually the Apple fanboys are pretty consistent.

Not bashing you Mike. I have an Android phone too -- the G1 since its inception. Just kind of thought it was funny.

Quick Reply: Two items I'm still not decided on...