2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Two items I'm still not decided on...

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/10, 07:13 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those that didn't order the Nav system, like me , feel that $2400 is waaaaaaay too expensive. For those that do, have fun and I hope it increases Ford's bottom line ( said as a shareholder).
Old 4/29/10, 07:31 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I think you'll like the 'Electronics Package'. My X-Plan price was $2,036 for it. You can also watch DVD movies on it if you are not moving or going less than (7 mph or something like that) a few miles per hour. After a certain speed the video turns off and you can only hear the DVD.
Old 4/29/10, 07:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

the electronics package is great, the integrated nav is so much better than having a tom tom or garmin falling off your windshield. plus the auto climate control is really good, it never blows air too hard seems to get it just right. ALSO it will not blow cold air at you when you put the heat on when you first start up, it will wait till the engine is warmed up before it starts sending air at you
Old 4/29/10, 08:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
All douchebaggery aside (no offense), I certainly agree that eci has kind of nipped this one in the bud. If you have never had the package in any car, then it's certainly understandable that you might not care if the car has this package or not. From my perspective, after having the system now in 2 cars it's hard to pull myself away from it. The ease of use, organization of information, easy accessory integration, the list could go on. I don't know if I will be able to get NAV on this car or not, I haven't ordered as I am still a few months from being ready to buy. I want the EP though. I also agree it adds a bit of premier to the car. I would have to say just get in a 2010 and use the system, if you absolutely don't like it then you don't like it and that's that. No big deal. I have used the Garmin's the iPhones, all of the above and it never feels right, just something else cluttering my driving. $2300 for the system is very vair given the market price, installation and integrated features that it offers. To just get the NAV with Bluetooth in aftermarket form, without installation remember, is about the same price. This doesn't include all of the Sync features either, or the climate control. I'm sure this could all be argued for a while. It just ultimately comes down to what you are comfortable with. I just don't want to see a Kona Blue 5.0 parked in the *** end of a Hyundai because of the misc. gadgets were being fooled with. Once again, only my opinion. Not the facts, like Dragnet.
Old 4/29/10, 08:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Novelty goat
Well let's see, the heart of the electronics package is basically a nav system. It's primary function is IDENTICAL to the Garmin. The Garmins offers the benefits of being portable should you wish to transfer it to another car, it can function as a handheld device, and you can buy 24 of them for the price of the one Ford sticks you for.

So yeah, I guess you're right, the Garmin is not equivalent, it is vastly superior from a value standpoint.

Here is the thing, if someone has enough money that paying $2,400 for an integrated $100 GPS with fancy graphics is the same as a normal person buying a bag of chips, then go for it. But since 90 % of the people on this board have to borrow money to buy their cars, it is a colossal sucker move to have to finance $2,400 to have a $100 GPS stuck in your dashboard.

But it's your money and I will defend your right to be a sucker with my dying breath.
$2400 is a lot of money and for many people a portable GPS is good enough. Agreed. But the system from Ford is not just a $100 GPS that's been mounted into the dash. It's much more. Analogy: If someone buys a V6 Mustang because they don't think they need anything faster, that's perfectly fine. If they claim that the V6 is the same as a Shelby GT500, they're being ridiculous.
Old 4/29/10, 08:38 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
$2400 is a lot of money and for many people a portable GPS is good enough. Agreed. But the system from Ford is not just a $100 GPS that's been mounted into the dash. It's much more. Analogy: If someone buys a V6 Mustang because they don't think they need anything faster, that's perfectly fine. If they claim that the V6 is the same as a Shelby GT500, they're being ridiculous.
Well stated.
Old 4/29/10, 08:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RandyW
...If someone buys a V6 Mustang because they don't think they need anything faster, that's perfectly fine. If they claim that the V6 is the same as a Shelby GT500, they're being ridiculous.
You mean it's not? Damnit!
Old 4/29/10, 09:26 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone in here with the EP on their car have a LockPick installed on their vehicle? I'm looking at that as well.
Old 4/29/10, 09:26 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
I say no to the electronics package because of the screen. It is a huge distraction to look down and navigate a touchscreen while you're driving. You might as well try to text and drive. The Sync system plus a USB thumb drive does most of what the electroics package does, plus it costs less and doesn't take your eyes off of the road. Really, the only thing you won't get from Sync + USB drive is HD radio and automatic climate control.
That'd be fine except that the Electronics Package doesn't lose Sync, it includes it. So, you still have the hands-free/steering-wheel-buttons operation of Sync when you want/need it, but you also have the touch-screen operation and visuals when you want/need those. In other words, it's the best of both worlds.
Old 4/29/10, 09:37 AM
Cobra R Member

For me, another compelling reason was to think about what cars will include as standard or nearly standard equipment in 5 or 6 years when/if I want to sell the Mustang. Having a feature-rich "used" car can make it a more compelling choice when it comes time to sell it. You're not likely to get back the initial investment but if it makes the difference in a future sale, that can be ALL the difference needed. And in the mean time, you get to enjoy some pretty cool technical capabilities in your new ride.
Old 4/29/10, 09:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by trane
That'd be fine except that the Electronics Package doesn't lose Sync, it includes it. So, you still have the hands-free/steering-wheel-buttons operation of Sync when you want/need it, but you also have the touch-screen operation and visuals when you want/need those. In other words, it's the best of both worlds.
So you will still be able to sync your ipod via USB if you have the premium package and no electronic package?
Old 4/29/10, 10:03 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by RedWings
So you will still be able to sync your ipod via USB if you have the premium package and no electronic package?
Yes. Any Premium trim includes Sync.
Old 4/29/10, 10:42 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
For me, another compelling reason was to think about what cars will include as standard or nearly standard equipment in 5 or 6 years when/if I want to sell the Mustang.
I hadn't thought of that, but, man, does it ever make sense!
Old 4/29/10, 01:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young
I think you'll like the 'Electronics Package'. My X-Plan price was $2,036 for it. You can also watch DVD movies on it if you are not moving or going less than (7 mph or something like that) a few miles per hour. After a certain speed the video turns off and you can only hear the DVD.
This I did not know you could do. I am on X-Plan and the way it reads is as though you only get the X-Plan pricing on the Base car of your choice, i.e. Mustang GT Premium Pkg or Mustang GT Base, Mustang V6 Base Convertible, so on and so fourth. I didn't know it would apply to options as well. If you get a chance, hit me up with how this works. I thought my price started at the X-Plan price and everything else was MSRP. Thanks for the info though!
Old 4/29/10, 01:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by eci
No problems here. Do you ever look at your speedo? Your tach? Your gauges? Your mirrors? Isn't anymore distracting then that.

I think those bashing it have never owned a car with it =) I've driven it both ways. Totally lacking without. Cheapens the car.
I have not had a car with Ford factory nav, but I had a car with a touchscreen. It was totally distracting to me.
Old 4/29/10, 01:35 PM
GTR Member

All plan prices discount the entire price of the vehicle, not just the trim level pricing ("base price" if you will). You'll notice a difference in all the options vs. the sticker price of them.
Old 4/29/10, 01:37 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm curious what will happen in 15 years when the navigation systems are out dated, maps are no longer made, etc.
Old 4/29/10, 01:40 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Adam2004
I'm curious what will happen in 15 years when the navigation systems are out dated, maps are no longer made, etc.
They'll function, but won't be current. It's not like things are going to disappear on newer revisions of the map discs, just adding minor details. Ever done an update to a Garmin/Magellan GPS? You almost never notice the changes.
Old 4/29/10, 01:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Adam2004
We'll park our classics in the driveway and get in our hovercraft on automated roads and go wherever the computer takes us based on our goal destination and most efficient hover path.

The thing about technology is it IS cool today but 15 or 20 years down the road, it just seems so silly. How long before all those digital pictures we've been taking and storing for future viewing turn out to be "unviewable" because the formats are obsolete and the operating systems that run the software to view them are gone?

Still, you can either hop on the tech bandwagon or wave it goodbye. I had a '69 Mach 1 and loved that car but couldn't live with it daily. Too much of a PITA. Sometimes new is better even when new becomes old.
Old 4/29/10, 01:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin

The thing about technology is it IS cool today but 15 or 20 years down the road, it just seems so silly. How long before all those digital pictures we've been taking and storing for future viewing turn out to be "unviewable" because the formats are obsolete and the operating systems that run the software to view them are gone?
Since there will still be huge demand from people to view these 'old' digital pictures, whatever OS we are using or whatever interface we are using will include some way to automatically convert them to the new standard w/o us even knowing.

Quick Reply: Two items I'm still not decided on...