Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Trunk corrosion on new '14

Search this Thread

Old 4/9/14, 11:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 70monte
Who knows what any of that stuff is on our trunk lids. Mine looks like it has quite a lot of imperfections along the seam at the bottom of the trunk lid. I hope it's not rust but after seeing the underside of my car and how much surface rust is there as well as how much salt spray was under there when I first got the car, mine probably is rust. I'll just keep an eye on it and get if fixed if it is before the warranty runs out.

I'm still undecided if I need to cover the holes up that I took the clear tape like stuff off of.

Wayne
Again I say check with a reputable body shop or with Ford. I think you will find that the inner panel is glued to the outer panel and what you are seeing is excess glue. You would be surprised at how much of your poy is glued vereses seam welded...your wheel well flanges for instance are glued.

John
Old 4/9/14, 01:50 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 88lx50
Deysha - in thinking about what I saw on my car, it seems they are not that water tight and moisture is getting past them when the trunk is opened and the car is in the rain or has been washed recently. I did not observe any other way for water to get behind them. I removed them to clean up the mess they had caused. I have to figure a good way to seal them up again.
I understand, 88lx50. This is the plant info I gathered, so they should be kept there.

Originally Posted by steve03gt
Deysha, how can I get new stickers for those holes, dealer doesn't have them
These dots are not available, steve03gt. Body shops normally will fabricate their own from bulk materials, or not put them back on at all.

Deysha
Old 4/9/14, 07:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Horspla
Again I say check with a reputable body shop or with Ford. I think you will find that the inner panel is glued to the outer panel and what you are seeing is excess glue. You would be surprised at how much of your poy is glued vereses seam welded...your wheel well flanges for instance are glued.

John

I'm not too worried about it at the moment. The next time I'm at the dealer, I will ask them about it.

As far as the holes that were covered by the round sticker, I just washed my car a little while ago and I opened the trunk after I was done and it didn't look like any water had gone into the holes. It was wetter around the holes at the top of the lid. I may just leave mine open.

Wayne
Old 4/15/14, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Bring it in as soon as possible, Rando. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate it for you.

You’re welcome, puma1552.

Regarding the stickers, the holes are there to allow the e-coat (we dip the bodies in an electrically charged paint/coating prior to painting the car) to get into all the nooks and crannies of the body and to drain back out. The clear plastic stickers are placed over the holes to eliminate an air/water leakage path in to the trunk. They need to be left on the car.

Thanks for your input, Gogoggansgo!

Deysha
Deysha, if I send you one of my trunk stickers, will you please autograph it for me? ....kinda like the Caroll Shelby autographs on dashboards
Sent you a PM yesterday but have yet to hear back....such is the life of a very busy Ford Rep
Old 4/16/14, 07:54 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.0 Candy REDCS
Deysha, if I send you one of my trunk stickers, will you please autograph it for me? ....kinda like the Caroll Shelby autographs on dashboards
Sent you a PM yesterday but have yet to hear back....such is the life of a very busy Ford Rep
Lol! You’re too much, 5.0 Candy REDCS! I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

In the meantime, be sure to sign our beloved Mustang’s birthday card.

Deysha