Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Trunk corrosion on new '14

Search this Thread

Old 3/30/14, 09:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trunk corrosion on new '14

Picked up my new car Friday. I've seen the threads about hood and trunk corrosion.

My hood looks good except for a couple tiny spots along the driver's side seam. Front seam (which is nicely sealed) and passenger side seam (unsealed) looks good. I'm not too worried about the hood since if the tiny spots spread it will still be well confined to the underside of the hood when I realize it's spreading and I'll be able to get it fixed before needing to paint the topside of the hood which I absolutely do not want to do.

I'm more worried about the trunk. I've got a couple tiny spots along the seam by the rear windshield like most people, but what concerns me is I have bubbling on the corners of the trunk lid, and if it spreads at all it's going to go right to the topside of the trunk.

Here are a couple pics. The first pic is where the bottom left corner of the black decklid panel is, the second pic is the very corner of the trunk lid where it meets the rear quarter panel.

Anyone else have this? If it never spreads, fine, but my concern is that since it's so close to the topside of the lid to begin with, the first time I notice it spreading it will already be spreading to the topside of the trunklid and I'll have to have the top of the lid painted which I don't want. I could live with just having the underside refinished if need be.

Last edited by puma1552; 3/30/14 at 09:57 AM.
Old 3/30/14, 10:04 AM

some of that looks more like heavy spray then corrosion. If you think its corrosion take it back to dealer or use a razor and a little sand paper to remove it and buy either nail polish or a paint tube and reseal it if its on underside like it it.
Old 3/30/14, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think it's corrosion. It could be seam sealer.
Old 3/30/14, 10:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Here is another pic of the corner that meets the driver's rear quarter:

And just for comparison here is the opposite corner that meets the passenger rear quarter (and yes the white spot looks like a spot that needs touchup paint):

Last edited by puma1552; 3/30/14 at 12:39 PM.
Old 3/30/14, 11:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
still does not look like corrosion.
The spot with paint missing looks like it still has the primer under it. Was it flaked like that when you got it?
Old 3/31/14, 11:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
A body guy I know told me a lot of the body panels on new cars are glued together. What you are seeing might likely be excess glue.

John
Old 3/31/14, 12:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 88lx50
still does not look like corrosion.
The spot with paint missing looks like it still has the primer under it. Was it flaked like that when you got it?
It must've been since I've had the car for just a few days. I'm not too worried about that little spot, I'll swing by the dealer and grab some touchup paint for it.

For the corrosion-esque spots, it's hard to say if it's seam sealer or corrosion. The corner that meets the quarter panel *kind of* looks like it might be sloppy sealer, but the corner where the back decklid panel looks really bubbly like bubble rust. I guess at this point all I can do is watch it like a hawk. I waxed the car yesterday so these spots all got two coats of wax for now.
Old 3/31/14, 01:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This reminds me......
Old 3/31/14, 02:33 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I have similar spots on the inside of my trunk. It looks like excessive paint dips, not corrosion. I stopped by my dealers body shop and asked about it. They told me I could bring it anytime before 3year/36k mile warranty is out to have it repainted at no charge.
Old 3/31/14, 08:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey, what the heck are these stickers covering little holes on the corner of the underneath side of the trunk lid, right by the rear windshield? There is a hole on each side, covered with this little sticker.

Should these stickers be there or be removed?

Old 4/1/14, 05:37 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
My 2011 has them too. They look like some kind of tape covering drain holes. I've thought about removing them but i'm going to wait for someone else to do it first
Old 4/1/14, 04:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by David Young
My 2011 has them too. They look like some kind of tape covering drain holes. I've thought about removing them but i'm going to wait for someone else to do it first
Same...the only thing I can think of is they were stickered off during assembly so the next guy down the line didn't try to use those holes for mounting/assembling the decklid? But you would think when they make 680 of these cars a day the guys on the line would know after the first one.

Just seems odd since they are obviously put on there after the car is painted. My gut says that they aren't supposed to be there, but I'm not really sure.
Old 4/1/14, 08:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I have similar spots on the inside of my trunk. It looks like excessive paint dips, not corrosion. I stopped by my dealers body shop and asked about it. They told me I could bring it anytime before 3year/36k mile warranty is out to have it repainted at no charge.
I see what looks like corrosion under the trunk lid of my 13'. It was all over the edges of the hood of my 06' before I traded it in. Odd that my dealership told me it would be a waste of time and $$$ to repaint it (my 06') as it would just come back again over time (strangely honest?). The only solution they suggested was to replace the hood. I was out of warranty and he told me he could not in good faith take my money to "fix" it, as I would be back again in a year or so with the same issue.

The corrosion is between the layers (shells) of the trunk and hood so the only way to stop it is to seperate the two and tackle it from inside the hood/trunk lid. Sanding it down only removes what you see and it will eventually spread to the outside visible surfaces again.
Old 4/1/14, 08:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
This is how corrosion looks.
Attached Thumbnails Trunk corrosion on new '14-p1000270.jpg  
Old 4/2/14, 03:46 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trunk corrosion on new '14-image-920111956.jpg

This is mine.

And also I have scratches from the weather stripping.

Trunk corrosion on new '14-image-581725712.jpg
Old 4/7/14, 08:33 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
Picked up my new car Friday. I've seen the threads about hood and trunk corrosion.

My hood looks good except for a couple tiny spots along the driver's side seam. Front seam (which is nicely sealed) and passenger side seam (unsealed) looks good. I'm not too worried about the hood since if the tiny spots spread it will still be well confined to the underside of the hood when I realize it's spreading and I'll be able to get it fixed before needing to paint the topside of the hood which I absolutely do not want to do.

I'm more worried about the trunk. I've got a couple tiny spots along the seam by the rear windshield like most people, but what concerns me is I have bubbling on the corners of the trunk lid, and if it spreads at all it's going to go right to the topside of the trunk.

Here are a couple pics. The first pic is where the bottom left corner of the black decklid panel is, the second pic is the very corner of the trunk lid where it meets the rear quarter panel.

Anyone else have this? If it never spreads, fine, but my concern is that since it's so close to the topside of the lid to begin with, the first time I notice it spreading it will already be spreading to the topside of the trunklid and I'll have to have the top of the lid painted which I don't want. I could live with just having the underside refinished if need be.
Hi puma1552,

Please get this looked at by your Ford Dealer to make sure there’s nothing going on. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer (both), mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Originally Posted by puma1552
Hey, what the heck are these stickers covering little holes on the corner of the underneath side of the trunk lid, right by the rear windshield? There is a hole on each side, covered with this little sticker.

Should these stickers be there or be removed?

I can check on these for you as well. In the meantime… please leave those alone. Lol!

Deysha
Old 4/7/14, 12:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Attachment 155587

This is mine.

And also I have scratches from the weather stripping.

Attachment 155588
I have the same issue with the weather stripping. I haven't got around to taking it into the dealer
Old 4/7/14, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Hi puma1552,

Please get this looked at by your Ford Dealer to make sure there’s nothing going on. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer (both), mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

I can check on these for you as well. In the meantime… please leave those alone. Lol!

Deysha
Thanks Deysha, for now I'll just keep an eye on the possible corrosion and see how it goes, and maybe mention it to my service guy to at least document it the first time I bring the car in.

As for those stickers, let me know! Thanks!
Old 4/7/14, 06:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have those little bumps along the bottom of my trunk lid. I don't know if they are corrosion or not. I'm going to keep an eye on them.

As far as those stickers go, I took mine off yesterday. One of mine was not even on flat. The holes on the top edge of the trunk lid are not covered so I figured it wouldn't hurt to take the lower ones off. Hopefully I was not wrong because I threw them away and I don't think they would have stuck on again anyway.

Wayne
Old 4/8/14, 01:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Agreed I work at the stamping plant it looks like overspray to me don't worry about it

Quick Reply: Trunk corrosion on new '14