2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Tapping/Clicking Engine Noise On Mine, Too

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/15, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tapping/Clicking Engine Noise On Mine, Too

I also noticed a clicking noise from my engine right after my third oil change around 15K miles. The noise is exactly the same as what blackboy31 and HizliBullet posted. I have GT Track Pack and have been using Motorcraft 5W-50 Full Synthetic. My situation is almost identical to hatchttu up to a point. The dealership took two weeks to investigate, searched for the noise and eventually determined it was coming from the bottom of the engine. They took off the oil pan and did find metal shavings. They took off the caps and inspected the bearings and found scoring on the outside on two of the bearings. At first they were going to replace the two bearings, but upon further investigation, found metal chunks cut out of a rod. They said that not all the shavings in the oil pan were magnetic, so something aluminum was also damaged. I'm just a car enthusiast, not that mechanically inclined, so I don't completely understand all of this. Anyway, Ford hot line blah, blah, blah, and I'm getting a new long block. I had a botched oil change back at 5K miles (read the post), so while this whole thing is a huge clusterf@#k, I'm hoping to start fresh in March when my car is put back together again. I really love this car, but a new engine at 15K miles does not bode well. I thought the Coyotes were bulletproof. Anyone have any thoughts or advice?
Old 2/7/15, 04:22 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You should know by now that the Coyote is not bullet proof. It has had its share of issues. (But most are worked out now.)

But hey - you get to break in a new engine.

I'm curious if the filings started from a failed roller finger like some have. Sends filings throughout the engine via the oil pump.

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/7/15 at 04:38 PM.
Old 2/7/15, 05:14 PM
GT Member

Curious. Any mods or tunes to the car?
Old 2/7/15, 05:40 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You had a botched oil change, what happened or where can I read about that? That contributed to your problem?
Old 2/7/15, 09:23 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Were they using 5w50 as well. What was the cause of this issue?
Old 2/7/15, 11:35 PM

I have no mods to my car. The botched oil change is detailed in an earlier post on this forum. At my second oil change at 10K miles, the dealership put 6 quarts of synthetic blend instead of 8 quarts of full synthetic. I didn't notice this until 2 or 3K miles later when I checked my oil and saw it was 2 quarts down. I'll never know for sure if that caused any of the damage, but I'm getting a new engine so that will at least be behind me.
Old 2/8/15, 07:07 PM
GT Member

What kind of noise exactly? I have a very light ticking as the engine is warming up. Goes away once the engine is warmed up.

I have a boss, so I figure its just the forged aluminum pistons. Those are noisy until the warm and expand.
Old 2/9/15, 12:40 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Beavis9000
I also noticed a clicking noise from my engine right after my third oil change around 15K miles. The noise is exactly the same as what blackboy31 and HizliBullet posted. I have GT Track Pack and have been using Motorcraft 5W-50 Full Synthetic. My situation is almost identical to hatchttu up to a point. The dealership took two weeks to investigate, searched for the noise and eventually determined it was coming from the bottom of the engine. They took off the oil pan and did find metal shavings. They took off the caps and inspected the bearings and found scoring on the outside on two of the bearings. At first they were going to replace the two bearings, but upon further investigation, found metal chunks cut out of a rod. They said that not all the shavings in the oil pan were magnetic, so something aluminum was also damaged. I'm just a car enthusiast, not that mechanically inclined, so I don't completely understand all of this. Anyway, Ford hot line blah, blah, blah, and I'm getting a new long block. I had a botched oil change back at 5K miles (read the post), so while this whole thing is a huge clusterf@#k, I'm hoping to start fresh in March when my car is put back together again. I really love this car, but a new engine at 15K miles does not bode well. I thought the Coyotes were bulletproof.
Thanks for the info, Beavis9000! Glad to know they are taking care of this for you. Let me know if you need me.

Deysha
Old 2/9/15, 02:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
the stealer ships don't know jack my very first service Suburban Motors here in Victoria where I bought the car tried to tell me I didn't have a cabin air filter 😨 I had to walk the tool out side to show them in fact that I did. fail ford fail
Old 2/11/15, 05:31 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by tek302
What kind of noise exactly? I have a very light ticking as the engine is warming up. Goes away once the engine is warmed up.

I have a boss, so I figure its just the forged aluminum pistons. Those are noisy until the warm and expand.
Hi Tek - it might simply be piston slap. My Boss does it as well since about 5k miles and goes away once warmed up. I might also be that stretchy belt TSB. I just turned 16k and have been FI for 2k miles now with no issues other than a lots of tires
Old 2/11/15, 05:54 AM
GT Member

What is this stretchy belt tsb?
Old 2/12/15, 12:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
welcome to the club lol

my car is in the shop again for check engine light, this is with the new short block
Old 2/12/15, 12:46 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HizliBullet
welcome to the club lol

my car is in the shop again for check engine light, this is with the new short block
Have you specifically asked them about the crankshaft sensor re-learn procedure yet? I would have been back in there the next day.
Old 2/12/15, 01:16 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
What is this stretchy belt tsb?
Here's the TSB:
http://cdn.lrsstatic.com/downloads/t...sb12-08-14.pdf

Basically, some cars are making a noise and the fix is to go to a tensioned belt for the AC instead of the original set up without a tensioner.

The part I do not understand is why they have to reload the PCM.
Old 2/13/15, 10:15 AM
GT Member

I will need to set car back to stock tune then.

Will they charge for this, if my car is still under the power train warranty?
Old 2/13/15, 01:22 PM
GT Member

Taking car into rockwall ford tomorrow morning. Gonna see if its this TSB or something worse or likely "normal"
Old 2/13/15, 06:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Have you specifically asked them about the crankshaft sensor re-learn procedure yet? I would have been back in there the next day.
I left an update just for u in my thread

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ocking-535034/
Old 2/14/15, 10:33 AM
GT Member

Dealer called me back, there is a TSB for the boss 302 for piston slap during warm up with high flow CNC heads. Normal operation.

Everything checked out good.

No charge. Did get compliments from everyone at the dealer on my car and how it sounds!
Old 2/16/15, 10:12 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
the stealer ships don't know jack my very first service Suburban Motors here in Victoria where I bought the car tried to tell me I didn't have a cabin air filter 😨 I had to walk the tool out side to show them in fact that I did. fail ford fail
I’m happy to get this experience with this dealership documented for you, GottaHaveIt. If you’d like, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, best daytime number and the experience on your post.

Dealer called me back, there is a TSB for the boss 302 for piston slap during warm up with high flow CNC heads. Normal operation.

Everything checked out good.
No charge. Did get compliments from everyone at the dealer on my car and how it sounds!
Thanks for the update, tek302!

Deysha