Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

5.0 ripped apart faulty cylinder no.2 knocking

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/15, 03:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

2012 GT premium, 17800 miles, fully under warranty.

This is the situation I'm in right now. So my problem was in mornings, if I revved up to 2k rpm, I would hear rattling just under the hood, but it wouldn't happen under 2k rpm and it sounded like unlubricated valves tapping against pistons,but it would go away when engine got warm. My 5.0 has been in the shop since yesterday, upon my complaint dealership sent email to ford engineers which told them to take a look inside. So 2 techs working on it found out that cylinder no2 has a faulty "piston wrist" (apparently its a rod thats connected to the piston and crank shaft) that was causing the tapping. And my guess was that this particular cylinder is the reason for idle tapping too. Along with faulty cylinder no2, they're going to take apart the oil filter and check "bearings" in that cylinder. Its gonna be long time in the shop, he said they might even have to order new engine. we'll see.

UPDATE: the new short block arrived but I cant tell what percent the transfer is completed. Feel free to use my pictures for reference if it helps with your faulty coyote.. I can see they took out the flywheel and everything wow.

OLD

NEW

MISC

Attached Thumbnails 5.0 ripped apart faulty cylinder no.2 knocking-dsc_0623.jpg  

Last edited by HizliBullet; 1/22/15 at 06:02 PM.
Old 1/14/15, 07:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HizliBullet
2012 GT premium, 17800 miles, fully under warranty. This is the situation I'm in right now. So my problem was in mornings, if I revved up to 2k rpm, I would hear rattling just under the hood, but it wouldn't happen under 2k rpm and it sounded like unlubricated valves tapping against pistons,but it would go away when engine got warm. My 5.0 has been in the shop since yesterday, upon my complaint dealership sent email to ford engineers which told them to take a look inside. So 2 techs working on it found out that cylinder no2 has a faulty "piston wrist" (apparently its a rod thats connected to the piston and crank shaft) that was causing the tapping. And my guess was that this particular cylinder is the reason for idle tapping too. Along with faulty cylinder no2, they're going to take apart the oil filter and check "bearings" in that cylinder. Its gonna be long time in the shop, he said they might even have to order new engine. we'll see.
That sucks. Had a similar problem. Tasca replace the engine (short block) took less then 2 weeks from diagnosis until I got the keys back.

Best of luck.
Old 1/14/15, 07:41 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You sound like this guy:

Originally Posted by jc46002003
2014 5.0 tick - engine being ripped apart
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...5/#post6857902

Don't you guys have mechanics? To disassemble and inspect an engine?

Sounds like you only have guys with cutting torches with an ax murderer at the ready.
Old 1/14/15, 08:52 PM
Cobra Member

yep he mentioned short block too i have to look into what that looks like
Old 1/15/15, 12:29 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
i guess its same sht different color car
Old 1/15/15, 11:42 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i guess its same sht different color car
This guy also has similar issue as yours.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...knocking-noise
Old 1/15/15, 05:44 PM
Cobra Member

Update: ford found piston knocking therefore ordering a new shortblock which will couple weeks to arrive
Old 1/15/15, 06:26 PM
Post *****

Update: ford found piston knocking therefore ordering a new shortblock which will couple weeks to arrive
Old 1/15/15, 06:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Sounds good!
Old 1/15/15, 07:09 PM
Cobra Member

can anyone tell me what our 5.0 shortblock includes exactly? ford told me it includes everything except heads(crank shaft, valves), they also said if it was "long block" (new to me) it would include the heads but my heads will be transferred over.

it hurts seeing my pony in the cold and ill
Old 1/15/15, 07:31 PM
Post *****

can anyone tell me what our 5.0 shortblock includes exactly? ford told me it includes everything except heads(crank shaft, valves), they also said if it was "long block" (new to me) it would include the heads but my heads will be transferred over.

it hurts seeing my pony in the cold and ill
That's exactly it (except the (1) crankshaft is in the short block, (4) camshafts and (32) valves are in the (2) cylinder heads).

The short block arrives completely assembled (crankshaft, main bearings & bearing caps, pistons with rings, connecting rods, rod bearings and bearing caps, wrist pins, [the entire rotating assembly of the lower part of the engine], oil pump, etc.), with everything needed inside the aluminum block to run.

Then they put your (2) cylinder heads (with its valves, valve springs, cams, roller followers, cam chains, cam sprockets, etc.) onto the new short block; bolt on the ancillary stuff (intake manifold, fuel injectors, spark plugs with coils, throttle body, water pump, starter, alternator, belt, etc., etc.) and you're done.

Ready to fire it up!

Attached Thumbnails 5.0 ripped apart faulty cylinder no.2 knocking-2011-5.0-eng-cutaway1.jpg  

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/15/15 at 08:01 PM.
Old 1/15/15, 07:59 PM
Post *****

Here's a great article on the 5.0 Coyote with lots of engine pics. You might find it interesting to learn about.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/parts...e/viewall.html
Old 1/15/15, 09:26 PM
Cobra Member

guys so much guys i had no clue it was that serious until it happened to me :O

so now im debating whether I should trade it early for a new 15 5.0 while it has a good value
Old 1/15/15, 09:43 PM
Post *****

guys so much guys i had no clue it was that serious until it happened to me :O

so now im debating whether I should trade it early for a new 15 5.0 while it has a good value
You can if you really want a 15.

But don't do it simply because a mechanic disassembled/reassembled your engine. They are machines. They are made from scratch and can be re-made from scratch over and over again, no problem.

Plus, you get to break in a new engine, it should run great, you have a factory warranty, for no out of pocket money.

And I love breaking in a new engine putting it through its paces...
Old 1/16/15, 12:31 AM
Cobra Member

But don't do it simply because a mechanic disassembled/reassembled your engine. They are machines. They are made from scratch and can be re-made from scratch over and over again, no problem.

Plus, you get to break in a new engine, it should run great, you have a factory warranty, for no out of pocket money.

oh hey cdynaco so does this mean the new short block will be from the 2014 production batch? (i.e from the short blocks made for 2014s)
Old 1/16/15, 10:03 AM
CURRENTLY NOT ACTIVE ON THIS SITE DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

2012 GT premium, 17800 miles, fully under warranty.

This is the situation I'm in right now. So my problem was in mornings, if I revved up to 2k rpm, I would hear rattling just under the hood, but it wouldn't happen under 2k rpm and it sounded like unlubricated valves tapping against pistons,but it would go away when engine got warm. My 5.0 has been in the shop since yesterday, upon my complaint dealership sent email to ford engineers which told them to take a look inside. So 2 techs working on it found out that cylinder no2 has a faulty "piston wrist" (apparently its a rod thats connected to the piston and crank shaft) that was causing the tapping. And my guess was that this particular cylinder is the reason for idle tapping too. Along with faulty cylinder no2, they're going to take apart the oil filter and check "bearings" in that cylinder. Its gonna be long time in the shop, he said they might even have to order new engine. we'll see.
Hey Hizlibullet,

Thanks for all the information. Please send me a private message with your full name, phone number, VIN, and dealer; I'll loop in your regional customer service manager, who works closely with your dealer towards the best resolution.

Nikki
Ford Service CA
Old 1/16/15, 10:51 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks Nikki we're waiting for the new short block
Old 1/16/15, 10:56 AM
CURRENTLY NOT ACTIVE ON THIS SITE DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Thanks Nikki we're waiting for the new short block
Cool, that's good to know.

Let me know if you need help along the way; I'll jump in and see what I can do.

Have a great weekend!

Nikki
Ford Service CA
Old 1/16/15, 01:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FordServiceCA

Cool, that's good to know.

Let me know if you need help along the way; I'll jump in and see what I can do.

Have a great weekend!

Nikki
Ford Service CA
Nikki does it help to provide the info to escalate things?
Old 1/16/15, 02:09 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts

I've wondered about that. Does the engine warranty start over with a full 5/60 or do they simply continue on from the point where the original engine gave out? And in his case where they only replaced the short block if the warranty does start over with a full 5/60, what about the heads, cams, chains, valves etc. that weren't replaced? Are those parts still under the original warranty and will expire before the warranty on the short block? And if that is the case, what happens when the top end is out of warranty but the bottom end is still under warranty, and a valve breaks or something in the top in lets go and ruins a piston or ruins the bottom end with shrapnel in the oil, what happens there? Are you on the hook for a whole new engine? Kind of confusing to me.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 1/16/15 at 02:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 5.0 ripped apart faulty cylinder no.2 knocking