2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sync 4.4 Update.

Search this Thread

Old 4/10/15, 06:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do all issues with this upgrade happening only on non-navigation units ?

So far I haven't seen any issue with my Navigation voice activated.
Old 4/10/15, 08:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dineau
Do all issues with this upgrade happening only on non-navigation units ? So far I haven't seen any issue with my Navigation voice activated.
So far I have not seen any issues with my non-navigation unit.
Old 4/11/15, 09:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Do all issues with this upgrade happening only on non-navigation units ?

So far I haven't seen any issue with my Navigation voice activated.
To be more clear:

Non-Navigation units = mixed results
- Some are OK
- Some have the 911 activation bug when radio is off at pwer-on

Nav units = No issues
- No weird problems have been reported so sar
Old 4/11/15, 10:21 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
To be more clear:

Non-Navigation units = mixed results
- Some are OK
- Some have the 911 activation bug when radio is off at pwer-on

Nav units = No issues
- No weird problems have been reported so sar
thats right. after the second wash-over installation my usb musics and texting works flawlessly. most of us had to install twice though, which most guys havent done.
Old 4/11/15, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.4 update

Old post

Last edited by DudeChaos; 4/11/15 at 12:12 PM. Reason: out dated info
Old 4/11/15, 12:09 PM

4.4 not all equal

I just got my upload from Ford. It worked on the first try! It was about the same size as the file provided on this forum, but it was different, and had a different name. So just f.y.i. to all out there there is a completely different file needed depending on what version of sync you are updating from. Cheers
Old 4/11/15, 02:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by HizliBullet
thats right. after the second wash-over installation my usb musics and texting works flawlessly. most of us had to install twice though, which most guys havent done.
I only installed once and my non-nav unit is not able to remember that it was playing music from a USB thumb drive. Are you saying that I should do the install again and it will likely work properly afterwards?
Old 4/11/15, 03:20 PM
Cobra Member

I tried to run the install again and it failed. I did a Master Reset and tried twice more and each time failed. Just for grins I plugged my music thumb back in and ran a few tests and it now seems to remember that it was playing from the thumb. We'll see if this is just another Sync fluke or if it really works as it should now.
Old 4/11/15, 04:16 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tukatz
I only installed once and my non-nav unit is not able to remember that it was playing music from a USB thumb drive. Are you saying that I should do the install again and it will likely work properly afterwards?
after the first failed attempt I did master rest (media/advanced/master reset) then did a second install (samantha hadnt talked in the first attempt, in the second time she began saying how it install, reboot blabla)
Old 4/11/15, 04:29 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by DudeChaos
I just got my upload from Ford. It worked on the first try! It was about the same size as the file provided on this forum, but it was different, and had a different name. So just f.y.i. to all out there there is a completely different file needed depending on what version of sync you are updating from. Cheers
hey dude im so happy for you! did you upload back the successful update report?
Old 4/11/15, 06:21 PM

I did, and it was successful, but I also kept the original files. It was called Gen1v441buildEE2824updatefromv4214packageRev2 so it must be very important to the install process that I was upgrading from 4.2.1.4 but it appears to have brought us all together to the same point.
Old 4/13/15, 06:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did the install over the weekend. Pretty straightforward and worked over on the first try. Took about 10-15 minutes. I have nav. Now sync reads my texts and most importantly lists my music artist and tracks over bluetooth. It also does this with Pandora. So far so good. I wish I would have done this a while ago.
Old 4/13/15, 07:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't read text in my car so I don't care about that feature. When I play Pandora on BT, it shows the artist/title. When I switch to a different station in Pandora, it shows unknown. To show the artist/title again, I have to stop and restart Pandora on the phone.
Old 4/13/15, 08:34 AM
Cobra Member

I thought mine was fixed but not so. Yesterday it was back to its old self. This update is worthless to me. What a waste of time.
Old 4/14/15, 09:23 PM

How do you get Sync to read messages and then reply?
Old 4/15/15, 08:14 AM
V6 Member

I updated it last night. Non-nav system. Failed on first attempt...said installation failed. Tried again and got..USB unplugged. Seemed to work OK on third attempt. It said installation complete, rebooting after about 30 seconds. Then it sat for about 5 minutes with a blank screen and random things popping up on screen (phone, FM, etc.), then it said..installation complete again. At that point I pulled the USB and turned everything off. Re-started and re-synced my phone. Bluetooth and mobile apps (Pandora and SiriusXM apps) seemed to work ok. My wife's phone is the primary phone so she will need to re-sync today. One thing I noticed, however is that we used a hard drive connected to the USB2 connector on the Sync module behind the glove box. After the update I can't get it to work anymore. When I use the voice command and say "USB2" it just says.."No USB device connected". It used to say "No USB2 device connected". Seems like there is no longer support for USB vs. USB2. Anyone else confirm this?
Old 4/15/15, 08:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Clue
After the update I can't get it to work anymore. When I use the voice command and say "USB2" it just says.."No USB device connected". It used to say "No USB2 device connected". Seems like there is no longer support for USB vs. USB2. Anyone else confirm this?
Interesting, I will need to try this..
Old 4/15/15, 09:49 AM

I did a master reset and resynced my phone. When it synced, it popped up with a new text message available, something it never did before. So I thought, Cool! It must be working!

Once I had shut the system down, opened the door, then closed it and started the car again, it started the endless loop again. I can turn on 911 assist to prevent if from looping, but it also says that texting is unsupported again.
I checked on the Sync site and it says that text is supported for my Moto X 1st gen, so now I'm wondering what else is wrong. :/
At least Pandora shows the artist and title now.
Old 4/15/15, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Clue
I updated it last night. Non-nav system. Failed on first attempt...said installation failed. Tried again and got..USB unplugged. Seemed to work OK on third attempt. It said installation complete, rebooting after about 30 seconds. Then it sat for about 5 minutes with a blank screen and random things popping up on screen (phone, FM, etc.), then it said..installation complete again. At that point I pulled the USB and turned everything off. Re-started and re-synced my phone. Bluetooth and mobile apps (Pandora and SiriusXM apps) seemed to work ok. My wife's phone is the primary phone so she will need to re-sync today. One thing I noticed, however is that we used a hard drive connected to the USB2 connector on the Sync module behind the glove box. After the update I can't get it to work anymore. When I use the voice command and say "USB2" it just says.."No USB device connected". It used to say "No USB2 device connected". Seems like there is no longer support for USB vs. USB2. Anyone else confirm this?

I have read on a F-150 forum that it disables changing to USB2 manually. Some people said it will switch when you connect the device and will stay when you reboot, but if you accidentally hit the aux button and it cycles away you cannot switch back to it. I don't use USB2 so I can't confirm but I hope it helps.
Old 4/15/15, 02:09 PM
GT Member

^ I don't know what you mean there exactly.

I can confirm that I can't get USB2 to work by any method, so far and after a few days of trying, though it does access the USB2 drive. Thought it was just me...

This is pretty annoying. I go to the "trouble" of doing the update, and I have less useful functionality than I did before! I don't care about possible upgrades to stuff I don't use or am prevented from using in Canada...practically speaking. So I'm worse off now. A fix for this? I would rather have a means of reverting/"downgrading" at this point, but that's even less likely to happen.

Edit: After that rant, I had an idea and thought I'd try one more time.
Now I sort of get what DudeChaos meant. Here's something that works to use USB2:

You need to put a USB stick (etc.) into the USB1 slot, any stick, just needs to be FAT formatted, easier if there's no music on it. [I used an otherwise totally useless 64MB stick; they built 'em strong back then, so less likely to get broken in the USB1 slot. 16GB and 2GB sticks with regular files on them worked too.]

Once that stick is in there, and making sure your USB2 device is also installed, you then select USB to play by the usual means. I used the console buttons (Menu and direction pad) to select USB, but voice works. You can't select USB2 by either method AFAIK so far, it didn't work for me anyway. Then pull the USB1 stick. If there's music on USB2, Sync will find it and you can work normally now.

Recap:
1. Install USB1 and USB2 devices.
2. Select USB.
3. Pull USB1. USB2 will play.

Last edited by cfraser; 4/15/15 at 02:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Sync 4.4 Update.