2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sync 4.4 Update.

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/15, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cfraser
^ I don't know what you mean there exactly.

I can confirm that I can't get USB2 to work by any method, so far and after a few days of trying, though it does access the USB2 drive. Thought it was just me...

This is pretty annoying. I go to the "trouble" of doing the update, and I have less useful functionality than I did before! I don't care about possible upgrades to stuff I don't use or am prevented from using in Canada...practically speaking. So I'm worse off now. A fix for this? I would rather have a means of reverting/"downgrading" at this point, but that's even less likely to happen.
http://www.f150forum.com/f38/new-sync-update-available-sync-v4-4-a-293908/

Same issue. Looking for a roll back and all. But it always to be a 4.4 Ford wide issue.
Old 4/15/15, 02:41 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Try performing a master reset to your system. The instructions can be found on page 156 of this Navigation Supplement: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../12ngnsn3e.pdf

If you don’t notice an improvement after the reset, send me a PM with your full name, VIN, and current mileage. I’d like to report this internally.

Kim
didn't help unfortunately. PM sent
Old 4/15/15, 02:42 PM
GT Member

DudeChaos: I edited my last post (3 posts before this one), I found a clumsy but easy enough way to play from USB2 that works.
Old 4/15/15, 06:26 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fiberman
How do you get Sync to read messages and then reply?
Hi fiberman,

Which type of system is your Mustang equipped with? If you’re not sure, this link should help: http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-t...html?sync=sync

Originally Posted by philennium
I did a master reset and resynced my phone. When it synced, it popped up with a new text message available, something it never did before. So I thought, Cool! It must be working!

Once I had shut the system down, opened the door, then closed it and started the car again, it started the endless loop again. I can turn on 911 assist to prevent if from looping, but it also says that texting is unsupported again.
I checked on the Sync site and it says that text is supported for my Moto X 1st gen, so now I'm wondering what else is wrong. :/
At least Pandora shows the artist and title now.
Hey philennium,

I just responded to your PM.

Originally Posted by solscooter
didn't help unfortunately. PM sent
Thank you. I'll go take a look.

Kim
Old 4/15/15, 09:23 PM
V6 Member

I'm a big fan of the update of AVRCP to enable the Bluetooth metadata.

I'm curious about this change: "Previous USB or Bluetooth media source playback now resumed after ignition cycle"
In the past my Bluetooth connection always resets to line in on ignition. With this 4.4 updates that behavior hasn't seemed to changed.. still getting a reversion to line in when I boot up. I'm using a 2013 Mustang with Nav and a Samsung Note 4.

Is 'remembering the Bluetooth media source' working for anyone with Nav?

Last edited by Zathu; 4/16/15 at 04:59 AM.
Old 4/16/15, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Zathu

I'm curious about this change: "Previous USB or Bluetooth media source playback now resumed after ignition cycle"
I'm the past my Bluetooth connection always resets to line in on ignition. With this 4.4 updates that behavior hasn't seemed to changed.. still getting a reversion to line in when I boot up. I'm using a 2013 Mustang with Nav and a Samsung Note 4.

Is remembering the Bluetooth media source working for anyone with Nav?
Not here
Old 4/16/15, 05:28 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
Originally Posted by Zathu

In the past my Bluetooth connection always resets to line in on ignition. With this 4.4 updates that behavior hasn't seemed to changed.. still getting a reversion to line in when I boot up. I'm using a 2013 Mustang with Nav and a Samsung Note 4.

Is 'remembering the Bluetooth media source' working for anyone with Nav?

Most of the time USB or Bluetooth reverts back to LINE IN after an ignition cycle. My install went well, the BT metadata works, and incoming texts work (iPhone not supported for outgoing). Mine is a '13 GT premium with nav.
Old 4/16/15, 05:56 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing this update seems to have fixed are some stability issues. My Sync hasn't crashed and rebooted since the update. Nothing else has been fixed. I turned off the text feature a long time ago because it always irritated me when I was listening to music to have it interrupt whatever i'm listening to. and my phone detects when I'm in the car and sends an auto-reply anyway.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 4/16/15 at 05:59 AM.
Old 4/16/15, 09:52 AM
V6 Member

So....haven't done the USB/USB2 trick yet. Does that work after a re-start.

My wife reported that this morning..the phone connected..then after about 2 miles the voice came on that 911 was not available and her phone then disconnected and wouldn't re-connect until after another re-start. Is there a fix for this? Or this is a bug that will require a new install version?
2011 non-nav
To recap..currently have lost USB2 (pending the "fix" mentioned earlier) and consistent phone connectivity. So much for an "UPGRADE"! Don't really care about the text function.
Old 4/16/15, 01:53 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Clue
So....haven't done the USB/USB2 trick yet. Does that work after a re-start.
I don't know how to do a reboot/re-start of the Sync system, have seen it mentioned though...so can't answer that, never needed to do it.

It makes sense to me that it won't "keep" USB2 through a reboot/re-start, don't see why it should keep that setting, that's one of the main points of doing reboots etc. Presumably you shouldn't have to re-start much anymore due to better stability.

Once Sync latches on to USB2 being your USB source, it stays there (normal use). If you remove USB2 device it goes back to Line In IIRC; then you'll have to do the "trick" again. There is no way that I've found to select USB2 yourself, you have to let Sync select it as described in the trick.

This is just a work-around for a "bug". The problem for us is that USB2 isn't officially supported, IOW the bug doesn't exist, so hard to get action on it. It was better the way it was before AFAIC.

Last edited by cfraser; 4/16/15 at 01:55 PM.
Old 4/16/15, 07:08 PM

4.4 upgrade bricks SYNC

After installing 4.4 update I received a "re-insert USB" error. SYNC won't recognize USB, error kept flashing.

Now, I can't pair any phones, can't Master reset.
Both options are "blank blue" lines.

Local dealer said it was my iPhone... Absolutely not the case but they were unwilling or unable to help.

Tried disconnecting battery, no luck.

Any advice?
Attached Thumbnails Sync 4.4 Update.-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 4/17/15, 05:33 AM
Cobra Member

So long story short...don't do the update. Got it! Sorry to all those who have or are having problems. I don't want to risk it at this point. Hopefully Ford finds a solution but as long as it took them to come out with this update I doubt it will happen anytime soon or at all.

Last edited by Ajcruz1; 4/17/15 at 08:54 AM.
Old 4/17/15, 06:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by BKinCT
After installing 4.4 update I received a "re-insert USB" error. SYNC won't recognize USB, error kept flashing.

Local dealer said it was my iPhone... Absolutely not the case but they were unwilling or unable to help.

Any advice?
This update is for non-touchscreen cars only, unless I missed something. Hope you didn't brick your system too badly!
Old 4/17/15, 06:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
This update is for non-touchscreen cars only, unless I missed something. Hope you didn't brick your system too badly!
It's for all systems, but it seems the there's mostly issues with the non-touchscreen systems.
Old 4/17/15, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by BKinCT

Any advice?
Can you re do the update? That's what mine looked like in the middle of the install. Did someone pull out the usb in the middle of the install? Sync definitely installed each function individually and you could see things as they loaded. I believe it then all rebooted one more time. Took closer to 15 minutes.
Old 4/17/15, 09:38 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by DudeChaos
Can you re do the update? That's what mine looked like in the middle of the install. Did someone pull out the usb in the middle of the install? Sync definitely installed each function individually and you could see things as they loaded. I believe it then all rebooted one more time. Took closer to 15 minutes.
I did. I thought it was done and apparently it wasn't. It flashed "Reinsert USB" so I did, and it started over. Then I waited for about 20 minutes and it finally completed.

The files on the flash drive may have become corrupted. Try starting over with a reformat and moving the files to the drive and pop it back in.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 4/17/15 at 09:40 AM.
Old 4/17/15, 04:59 PM
V6 Member

I meant through a re-start of the car. ie..I put the USB thumb drive in USB(1), then in USB2 and it starts working from 2. Pull USB1 back out. Then I turn the car off and come back later...do I have to do that all over again? Guess I'll find out soon enough. I guess we also have to go in and enable the 911 function. Whenever the voice comes on to say that 911 is off, it automatically disconnects the phone from BT and it won't re-connect until you turn the car off and re-start it. Pressing the "phone" button on the dash MAY work. It will say "...connecting" but its about a 50/50 chance it will actually connect until you re-start the car. Again, this seems like a very poor "upgrade".

Originally Posted by cfraser
I don't know how to do a reboot/re-start of the Sync system, have seen it mentioned though...so can't answer that, never needed to do it.

It makes sense to me that it won't "keep" USB2 through a reboot/re-start, don't see why it should keep that setting, that's one of the main points of doing reboots etc. Presumably you shouldn't have to re-start much anymore due to better stability.

Once Sync latches on to USB2 being your USB source, it stays there (normal use). If you remove USB2 device it goes back to Line In IIRC; then you'll have to do the "trick" again. There is no way that I've found to select USB2 yourself, you have to let Sync select it as described in the trick.

This is just a work-around for a "bug". The problem for us is that USB2 isn't officially supported, IOW the bug doesn't exist, so hard to get action on it. It was better the way it was before AFAIC.
Old 4/17/15, 07:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have Nav, and after the 4.4 update the system definitely does not return to Bluetooth.

In fact, I still have the same problem I had before- that is, the system can't seem to find Pandora on my phone (a Samsung S4). I have only found one sure fire way to get the system to recognize Pandora...
1.) Before starting the car, start Pandora on the phone.
2.) Then quit Pandora.
3.) Then start the car and- once it connects to the phone- start Pandora using the voice commands.

I've spent a lot of time working on this, and at this point I think the problem occurs because Pandora is running in the background of the phone- and SYNC just can't find it when its running in the background. For some reason, SYNC needs to find Pandora in a dormant state to start it up.

Its very frustrating, but at least it works when I go through the above process- and, once it is working, controlling Pandora through SYNC really is one of my favorite features of the car.

End of day, I think Ford really is trying to make SYNC a better experience- but 4.4 simply doesn't deliver.
Old 4/17/15, 11:05 PM
GT Member

I'm just happy Ford made any updates on such an old system.. The Microsoft Auto platform has been long dead - Ford couldn't have kept it even if they had wanted to. Sync V1 has been long dead - there's been MyFordTouch and SYNCv3 is just around the corner.
Old 4/17/15, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by msqr
I'm just happy Ford made any updates on such an old system.. The Microsoft Auto platform has been long dead - Ford couldn't have kept it even if they had wanted to. Sync V1 has been long dead - there's been MyFordTouch and SYNCv3 is just around the corner.
Hasn't been "dead" long at all. They have been phasing it out, but gen 1 sync was still on new Fords up through 2014 models. 2015 is the first model year without any gen1 sync. Gen3 starts on some 2016 models. Who knows how long mft will stick around before it is phased out though.

Quick Reply: Sync 4.4 Update.