2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

stick or auto??

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/14, 08:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
We all have our opinions... you have to just go drive the two and see for yourself.
Autos are great. Manuals, IMO are more fun. So! For a DD... toss up I'd say. Obviously, you can see which I picked for my DD... (hint it's my only car).
Old 6/26/14, 08:13 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual is the only way to go for me.
Old 6/26/14, 08:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Did you ever get one?

Daily driver in a place with allot of traffic.... Auto
Daily driver in a place with no traffic... Well that's easy.. Manual.
Old 6/26/14, 09:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shocked ......not one appearance of the "I have a bad knee had to get the auto guy"
although the "my wife has to drive it" guys mad up for it.

I say drive both and get what you like better.
Old 6/26/14, 10:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
When I went shopping for my next mustang, I could not find a manual with the options I wanted. Everything out there was auto.

I miss having a manual a lot, but I just recently retrofitted the select shift to give a bit of that feel back. I even saw that there is a paddle shifter kit that I may try and satisfy that shifting craving that I have.
Old 6/26/14, 10:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by devilcaninex
Shocked ......not one appearance of the "I have a bad knee had to get the auto guy"
although the "my wife has to drive it" guys mad up for it.

I say drive both and get what you like better.

I guess I will be the first "bad knee" guy. I do have a bad left knee that starts to hurt with too much clutch action. The other reason I bought the automatic is that I just don't enjoy shifting that much and I would rather just put it in gear and go. If I do want to shift gears my fiancée has a 07 GT with the manual.

Like others have said, drive both and see which you like the best and look at what your driving situation is. If you do a lot of in town driving, shifting gears may get old after awhile.

Wayne
Old 6/26/14, 11:25 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
This debate never ends. You gotta buy what you want and be happy with it. I get the you got an auto comment once in a while so it is what it is. I tell them I don’t have brakes and I Fred Flintstone my car to a stop to prove my manliness.

Last edited by VidPro; 6/26/14 at 11:48 AM.
Old 6/26/14, 11:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
Oh lord, you ain't a man if you have an auto????? What about all the super cars that have auto's. You guys crack me up.

OP, our GT is an auto, and the tranny works great. I've had my share of manuals when I was younger, but there's something to be said about just pushing the skinny pedal and moving on.
Old 6/26/14, 12:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VidPro
This debate never ends. You gotta buy what you want and be happy with it. I get the you got an auto comment once in a while so it is what it is. I tell them I don’t have brakes and I Fred Flintstone my car to a stop to prove my manliness.

Just tell them you injured your knee on a Black Op mission in Anwar province....and your wife doesn't know how to drive a stick.
Old 6/26/14, 03:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I test drove an Auto as a test vehicle. it was OK. I personally prefer the Manual - its a completely different ride.... to each their own. good luck. you should likely drive both and see where your comfort zone lies...
Old 6/26/14, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My experience is mine alone but it may give you some direction. I've owned many autos and manuals. The autos just haven't been as thrilling so if the object is fun I'd go with a manual.

However, unfortunately, the cartilage in my left big toe is pretty much gone and it's bone on bone. It makes depressing a clutch pedal rather difficult. I understand the appeal of a nice comfortable auto. But, based on how much more fun a manual is, when it came time to get my new GT/CS I didn't even consider the auto. It's been a month or so and never once have I wished I'd gone with the auto.
Old 6/27/14, 05:30 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
I test drove an Auto as a test vehicle. it was OK. I personally prefer the Manual - its a completely different ride.... to each their own. good luck. you should likely drive both and see where your comfort zone lies...
I agree. As I've said before I never say to myself I'm not having quite as much fun as I should with an auto while I'm driving around. Maybe it's the drop top effect.
Old 6/27/14, 06:11 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Stick! Theft deterrent.
Old 6/27/14, 06:23 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Stick! Theft deterrent.
Good point.
Old 6/27/14, 06:55 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Automatics are consistently faster than manuals from straight line speaking. A local mustang club member, myself and numerous other club members were on a private road several weeks ago. I had raced this club members modded 5.0 manual against my little modded automatic 3.7. I beat the a$$ off his 5.0 and we ran to 100 mph. The 5.0 couldn't get traction first off, second dude didn't work the manual right when off the line.

Now with that said, that 5.0 is faster than my 3.7 but point being, manuals are to inconsistent. The automatic shifts perfect every time. All I do for my auto is the following:

Left foot on brake.
Right foot, over gas pedal
Light turns green.
Take left foot off brake.
Slam right foot on gas pedal and mash down to the floor.

Off we go with perfect launch, no tire spin and Mr. 5.0 couldn't catch up because he is too busy spinning and fish tailing all over the place.

The guys in the club ragged the ball snot out of the 5.0 owner because a N/A 3.7 whooped his a$$. Ha ha ha..

HAIL AUTOMATICS!

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 6/27/14 at 06:57 AM.
Old 6/27/14, 06:58 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Nice. When I used to take my 2000 GT auto to the track with a buddy of mine he could not beat me. Maybe a better stick driver could but it was always fun busting his chops about it. LOL!
Old 6/27/14, 07:16 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Automatics are consistently faster than manuals from straight line speaking. A local mustang club member, myself and numerous other club members were on a private road several weeks ago. I had raced this club members modded 5.0 manual against my little modded automatic 3.7. I beat the a$$ off his 5.0 and we ran to 100 mph. The 5.0 couldn't get traction first off, second dude didn't work the manual right when off the line.

Now with that said, that 5.0 is faster than my 3.7 but point being, manuals are to inconsistent. The automatic shifts perfect every time. All I do for my auto is the following:

Left foot on brake.
Right foot, over gas pedal
Light turns green.
Take left foot off brake.
Slam right foot on gas pedal and mash down to the floor.

Off we go with perfect launch, no tire spin and Mr. 5.0 couldn't catch up because he is too busy spinning and fish tailing all over the place.

The guys in the club ragged the ball snot out of the 5.0 owner because a N/A 3.7 whooped his a$$. Ha ha ha..

HAIL AUTOMATICS!

i wonder how you would have faired against a manual 3.7 driver that knows how to operate the transmission
Old 6/27/14, 10:16 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
The high-end auto transmissions are faster than manuals, regardless of the driver. The Mustang has a transmission that's good enough to easily compete with the very best driver in an identical Mustang with a stick shift.

However, if you want to DRIVE the car, the stick is necessary. Without the stick, the manual doesn't go anywhere. With an auto, you're riding. With a stick, you're driving the car. It literally depends on the driver's preference.
Old 6/27/14, 10:40 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
The high-end auto transmissions are faster than manuals, regardless of the driver. The Mustang has a transmission that's good enough to easily compete with the very best driver in an identical Mustang with a stick shift. However, if you want to DRIVE the car, the stick is necessary. Without the stick, the manual doesn't go anywhere. With an auto, you're riding. With a stick, you're driving the car. It literally depends on the driver's preference.
Exactly. Best post in this thread. Folks need to understand it's not always "only" about speed and racing.
Old 6/27/14, 10:44 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
it's not always "only" about speed and racing.
Right! It's about a lot of things when you really think about it.

Quick Reply: stick or auto??