2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

stick or auto??

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/14, 10:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love love love shifting, but I want an auto for an occasional change of pace, preferably an SRT392 AutoStick.
Old 4/22/14, 11:58 AM
Cobra R Member

How you can beat this feeling!?
Old 4/22/14, 12:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fdjizm
How you can beat this feeling!?
That's easy! Put it in "D", mash the pedal, and get there first...every time!!!
Old 4/22/14, 12:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by El Coyote GT/CS
That's easy! Put it in "D", mash the pedal, and get there first...every time!!!

Last edited by fdjizm; 4/22/14 at 12:54 PM.
Old 4/22/14, 01:59 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
The auto stangs I've been seeing at the track are FAST. Maybe Ford finally built an auto trans worth a damm. One day there will be a dual clutch gearbox that will bolt up to a Ford V8 and the heavens will align. I like shifting but hate clutching. A good auto trans with a manual valve body and small stall converter will be good enough for me. Some people have fun shifting. I have fun hanging on.
Old 4/22/14, 02:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy!! Ride a motorcycle. Now THAT's a fun feeling

Honestly though, that didn't look anymore fun than if I did the same on my car(IMO). Have you driven one of the new auto's? Just for comparisons sake, because with the select shift you have complete control of the gears, and that's where I find the fun. I don't really care if I'm pushing a stick, or pulling a paddle, its the control. Though really I would prefer something better than a button to shift lol. But still, I love this auto. I'd hate being stuck with shifting in some more crappier situations. If you like it though good for you.
I agree with you, if this was a regular auto like in that pic you posted(P/R/N/D/?) without the select shift, it would be pretty boring, or better said not as fun as having the control when you want too.

I agree with Alscobra. For me, if they just change the button to a more immersive method, it'd be perfect.
Old 4/22/14, 06:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The current 6 speed automatic needs one thing. A "Normal/Sport" switch to go from whimpy stock shifting to very firm, tire chirping shifting. Spending hundreds for a tune is stupid just to get a firmer shift from the automatic. That is my only beef with the tranny in my 2014.
Old 4/22/14, 06:20 PM
Bullitt Member

That's what I look like waiting for you to row yourself to the stripe behind me! Ha!
Old 4/22/14, 06:45 PM
Cobra R Member

That's what I look like waiting for you to row yourself to the stripe behind me! Ha!
LOL I've put the bruising on quite a few 5.0's including autos at the track with my "slow manual shifting"
It's always fun when they roll up to you and ask you how much nitrous you're running.

Last attempt to make you feel bad...
Which of these two videos is more exciting...

Run at 0:31 & 0:53

Run at 0:53

Be honest...

Last edited by fdjizm; 4/22/14 at 07:34 PM.
Old 4/23/14, 12:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Last attempt to make you feel bad...
Which of these two videos is more exciting...

Run at 0:31 & 0:53
Lethal Performance 2010 Shelby GT500 10.09@140mph - YouTube

Run at 0:53
2012 Mustang GT 11.23@125 - YouTube

Be honest...
Don't get me wrong - I love to play with a stick! Woof! Woof!

And the big bad Shelby is a much more exciting ride than that poor little 5.0 for sure.

But for excitement...I'll have to see your Shelby and raise you a Cobra Jet!

Run at about 0.40

Oh looky here...there ain't no clutch pedal in there!
Old 4/23/14, 12:53 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I've found I really enjoy driving my car much more with a stick versus an auto. It adds difficulty...it's something additional that requires mastering and it just makes it more of an experience versus just mashing the go pedal.

I don't really care how either gearbox fares in terms of which is faster and whatnot...I prefer the manual purely for the experience it offers.
Old 4/23/14, 04:53 AM
Cobra R Member

Don't get me wrong - I love to play with a stick! Woof! Woof!

And the big bad Shelby is a much more exciting ride than that poor little 5.0 for sure.

But for excitement...I'll have to see your Shelby and raise you a Cobra Jet!

Tasca Performance Ford Mustang Cobra Jet new best 7.864 @ 176.12 mph - Carl Tasca 8/24/12 - YouTube Run at about 0.40

Oh looky here...there ain't no clutch pedal in there!
I was actually trying to stay with street cars not all out race cars... lol
Dat cobra jet tho
Old 4/23/14, 03:51 PM
V6 Member

Manual

Without question, the manual. But, my mustang is not my daily driver, so my situation is a little different. Even so, I think I would still get the manual. For me, I don't care how good the auto is, it will never replace the feeling of a manual. Good luck with your decision.
Old 4/23/14, 04:24 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Originally Posted by roadrunner
I like choices/freedom/liberty/pursuit of happiness/THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!
You said it brother! \m/
Old 4/23/14, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by roadrunner
I was regretting getting an auto for a while, though i need it for a few reasons. But lately ive been playing around more and more with the selectshift feature and i gotta say, im now totally satisfied with the auto. I love the ability to control the gears when i want to, or switch to sport mode, or just be lazy/heavy traffic with regular auto. Best of both worlds imo.
THIS^
Old 4/23/14, 10:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
In terms of speed, the manual won't be able to keep up with a modern, properly calibrated auto; they're just faster than our hands and feet are. Now that said, I do like the fact that my 500 is a standard. It doesn't feel right for me to drive a performance car without a stick. To me, control means shifting as well as clutching, in addition to throttle steering, heel-toeing, etc.
Old 4/24/14, 08:36 PM

An automatic is handy...once you put it in gear, you can put your purse on the center console and not worry about having to shift. Having to push in a clutch with high heels on must be a pain too.

I've been driving manuals for 26 years and have no intention of stopping, but you really have to make up your own mind.

Automatics are great for bracket racing when consistent times on a drag strip are essential, but they sure take the fun out of driving.

Are you buying the Mustang to have a fun car to drive? If not, buy it with an automatic.

Yes, I've tried the Selectshift slushbox - it's NOT the same. No way to "declutch" if you ever wanted/needed to. You'd need to slide the shifter up out of the "S" setting, through the Drive position to get to neutral, but you know for that split second you move the shifter past "D", it'll try and shift to whatever gear it thinks you should be in...and then don't go too far, or you'll end up in reverse...enjoy.
Old 4/25/14, 10:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
wec, I will say there's nothing like a manual for fun. But, as I have gotten older I have found that there is a lot to be said about just pushing the skinny pedal, and moving on. The auto in our '13 is nice, especially as a DD. The select shift works great, and is quite fun to play with. Good luck on your decision.

BTW, that Cobra Jet sounds like the Wifey heading out to the grocery store.

Last edited by wanted33; 4/25/14 at 10:21 AM.
Old 6/26/14, 07:40 AM
V6 Member

automatic

Manual if fine but the Mustang manual seems to be problematic. Lots of people have issues with them. The automatic is one of the best automatics out there. Very strong and trouble free. Especially nice if you hit the track occasionally.
Old 6/26/14, 07:55 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by GrnT
It's kind of funny but when I get in our Fusion with an automatic I find my self going for the clutch that's not there. Ya I'm probably the only one.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I got my Mustang in May...first stick shift in 25 years. The last one was a 1987 Nissan pick up. I've always had company cars or leased vehicles since then.

The day after I got the Mustang, I had to use my Fusion and I went for the clutch!!! 25 years of automatics, one day of driving a stick...whoda thunk?

Tom

Quick Reply: stick or auto??