Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Should I get my new Mustang immediately washed and waxed?

Search this Thread

Old 5/5/10, 01:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use this to keep my black car swirl free. I do the 3-step process twice a year. Keeps it deep and glossy. Other washes are done with a MF mitt and very plush MF towels for drying.

http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-por...l-remover.html

Old 5/5/10, 01:43 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Steven
Ah, so you don't do it every time you wash the car, or even once a month. Now it makes more sense. It was sounding like people were spending more time washing/waxing their car than driving it.
That's not the point. I want my car to look better than showroom quality for as long as I possibly can. Doesn't mean it doesn't get driven and tracked.

I throw wax on every 3-4 weeks, but that's not a long process either. Clean the interior every two weeks, but that only takes about 25 minutes. You'd be amazed by doing little things frequently, how much time you can save without having to do a major overhaul every few months.

Also, keep some quick detailer, cloths, window cleaner, and paper towel/newspaper in your trunk. If a bird drops a load on your car, clean it off ASAP. Just little things to keep the car looking its finest.
Old 5/5/10, 01:51 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone had a cloth convertible top? How do you clean it? My 05' didn't have cloth so I just used 303 Convertible Top Cleaner and then thier Aerospace Protectant.
Old 5/5/10, 02:12 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
That's not the point. I want my car to look better than showroom quality for as long as I possibly can. Doesn't mean it doesn't get driven and tracked.

I throw wax on every 3-4 weeks, but that's not a long process either. Clean the interior every two weeks, but that only takes about 25 minutes. You'd be amazed by doing little things frequently, how much time you can save without having to do a major overhaul every few months.

Also, keep some quick detailer, cloths, window cleaner, and paper towel/newspaper in your trunk. If a bird drops a load on your car, clean it off ASAP. Just little things to keep the car looking its finest.
I noticed you use a sealant and a wax. I was under the impression that the 845 could be used right after polishing and you'd be done. That is, it's the sealant and the wax. I suppose this isn't the case then.
Old 5/5/10, 02:16 PM
GTR Member

I noticed you use a sealant and a wax. I was under the impression that the 845 could be used right after polishing and you'd be done. That is, it's the sealant and the wax. I suppose this isn't the case then.
Sealant is more of a protectant, but the wax really brings out the shine. Depending on who you talk to, some detailers still use carnauba wax for the last step, because it brings a depth of shine that synthetic products can't match.
Old 5/5/10, 02:42 PM
Cobra R Member

For the most part, you can apply a carnauba wax on top of a synthetic sealant. However, you don't want to apply synthetic sealant on top of carnauba. I could probably get a little more shine by applying carnauba on top of wolfgang sealant, but it's easier for me to stick to a single product. I only want to "start from scratch" once a year.
Old 5/6/10, 01:41 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for the tips overboost!
Old 5/6/10, 05:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

This is what everyone should take from this thread.

I have kept cars looking showroom clean by just cleaning the exterior once a week (if it needs it or not) and doing the inside every few weeks. Then when it comes time to do a 3-step process, it doesn't take much effort because the paint is in such great shape.

Also don't park near anyone.
Old 5/6/10, 06:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by RedWings
This is what everyone should take from this thread.

I have kept cars looking showroom clean by just cleaning the exterior once a week (if it needs it or not) and doing the inside every few weeks. Then when it comes time to do a 3-step process, it doesn't take much effort because the paint is in such great shape.

Also don't park near anyone.
You haven't been in NoVA long, have you?

I made a point to park my 'vette WAY out in the back of a parking lot to avoid people and some a$$hat in an EXCURSION decided to park right next to me. Plenty of other spaces around but I guess he wanted to see if my car would fit in the back or something.
Old 5/6/10, 07:16 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Adam2004
For the most part, you can apply a carnauba wax on top of a synthetic sealant. However, you don't want to apply synthetic sealant on top of carnauba. I could probably get a little more shine by applying carnauba on top of wolfgang sealant, but it's easier for me to stick to a single product. I only want to "start from scratch" once a year.
Oh, good tip! So do I have to strip the wax from my car before I even think of applying a sealant? I'm assuming my car still has wax on it since it's not that old, about two months or so.

Also, is the polishing stage where swirl marks are usually removed? I was thinking of trying out Meguiars Swirl X remover. On the same topic as Meguiars, anybody ever try their Scratch X? I have some minor scratches I'd like to remove myself. I just don't want to have to buy anything like a DA or what not. That's why the Meguiars products seem suited for me, they can be applied by hand.
Old 5/6/10, 07:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Oh, good tip! So do I have to strip the wax from my car before I even think of applying a sealant? I'm assuming my car still has wax on it since it's not that old, about two months or so.
Most synthetic sealants (for example, Zaino) require (strongly suggest) that you wash your car using a high-alkaline soap (Dawn Dish Detergent) before application. That will strip the wax for sure. Also, it will make your car cleaner than you have ever seen it.
Old 5/6/10, 07:57 AM
GT Member

If you strip the wax off, should you use a clay bar still?
Old 5/6/10, 08:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DontShoot
Most synthetic sealants (for example, Zaino) require (strongly suggest) that you wash your car using a high-alkaline soap (Dawn Dish Detergent) before application. That will strip the wax for sure. Also, it will make your car cleaner than you have ever seen it.

I've generally read that using dish soap is a horrible idea for car washing and that it damages paint.
Old 5/6/10, 08:18 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by jokerstars
I've generally read that using dish soap is a horrible idea for car washing and that it damages paint.
It's not going to damage the paint but it will pretty much strip off any treatment (wax/sealant) you've spent hours putting on it. It's not a bad way to go if you need to start from scratch from some neanderthal who put AutoZone $2 wax on it or if you're just not sure of the history of care.
Old 5/6/10, 08:25 AM
Cobra R Member

A medium grade clay bar will remove any wax on the surface of your car. I would Wash > Clay > Apply sealant/wax product.
Old 5/6/10, 08:44 AM
GTR Member

Dish soap doesn't damage the paint, it just strips it. I've tried it and didn't really notice a difference between using it or sticking with Gold Class like usual.
Old 5/6/10, 08:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
You haven't been in NoVA long, have you?

I made a point to park my 'vette WAY out in the back of a parking lot to avoid people and some a$$hat in an EXCURSION decided to park right next to me. Plenty of other spaces around but I guess he wanted to see if my car would fit in the back or something.
I've been here over 7 years.

My current car I got new in July 2006 and it has 3-4 small dings. I always park near cars that are expensive and clean or a few spaces away from everyone.
Old 5/6/10, 08:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Adam2004
A medium grade clay bar will remove any wax on the surface of your car. I would Wash > Clay > Apply sealant/wax product.
x2..
Old 5/6/10, 11:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Dish soap doesn't damage the paint, it just strips it. I've tried it and didn't really notice a difference between using it or sticking with Gold Class like usual.
When he says it strips it, he means it strips the wax. Generally, that's the first step; get rid of the unknown quantity/quality wax, and begin with a fresh slate.

My plan:

Dawn Wash (get rid of dealer wax, and get the car nice and clean)
Blow Dry
Clay (Useful for getting rail dust, bugsplatter (if I pick any up on the way home)
Light wash/rinse/dry
Sealant (Zaino Z5/Z2 - at least one coat of each)
Zaino CS

Maintenance:
Wash with a good car wash (Still have some Zaino laying around, and Gold Class when that runs out).
Old 5/6/10, 05:13 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by DontShoot
When he says it strips it, he means it strips the wax. Generally, that's the first step; get rid of the unknown quantity/quality wax, and begin with a fresh slate.

My plan:

Dawn Wash (get rid of dealer wax, and get the car nice and clean)
Blow Dry
Clay (Useful for getting rail dust, bugsplatter (if I pick any up on the way home)
Light wash/rinse/dry
Sealant (Zaino Z5/Z2 - at least one coat of each)
Zaino CS

Maintenance:
Wash with a good car wash (Still have some Zaino laying around, and Gold Class when that runs out).
I know what the purpose of using the dish soap is. You can do the same thing with a clay bar. Either way, you're getting down to a "bare" clearcoat once you're done with claying the car.

I've never tried different grades of clay, but it sounds like a mixed bag. Some people swear by them, others just say they're the same.

Quick Reply: Should I get my new Mustang immediately washed and waxed?