Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Should I get my new Mustang immediately washed and waxed?

Search this Thread

Old 5/4/10, 10:39 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
Improper techniques leave swirls...
A more accurate description.

If you're apprehensive about using a buffer on your car, you can try a mircofiber cloth while using a quick detailer. It's much easier than a cotton cloth and gets the job done.
Old 5/4/10, 11:01 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WaltM
A more accurate description.

If you're apprehensive about using a buffer on your car, you can try a mircofiber cloth while using a quick detailer. It's much easier than a cotton cloth and gets the job done.
I suggest that you use nothing but MF cloths for cleaning, detailing, drying your car. NEVER use a bath towel! MF towels are soft and absorbent enough to get the job done and protect the paint. I used a set of Cobra green MF towels to take off the Klasse SG, and it was a nightmare. Tried it a second time with my PC 7424 DA and it worked like a charm. Very little needed to be wiped by hand.
Old 5/4/10, 03:00 PM
V6 Member

Ugh reading all of this is making my head swim. This will be my first new car and ... the second car I've ever cleaned myself. Do they even do this expensive stuff at washes? Clay bars etc. I don't trust myself.
Old 5/4/10, 03:03 PM
eci
Banned

I suggest that you use nothing but MF cloths for cleaning, detailing, drying your car. NEVER use a bath towel! MF towels are soft and absorbent enough to get the job done and protect the paint. I used a set of Cobra green MF towels to take off the Klasse SG, and it was a nightmare. Tried it a second time with my PC 7424 DA and it worked like a charm. Very little needed to be wiped by hand.
MF sucks. 100% cotton bath towels are the best. Obviously you have to trim any binding off of the towel.
Old 5/4/10, 03:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by eci
MF sucks. 100% cotton bath towels are the best. Obviously you have to trim any binding off of the towel.
I'm going to side with eci on this one. I use 100% high quality (like more expensive than what I use for myself in most cases) WHITE COTTON towels. Never wash them with anything else.
Old 5/4/10, 03:11 PM
Cobra Member

yep MF is what you need. It is the best stuff hands down!!

Here is my 03 Cobra at the time it was about 5yrs old with 44k miles...This was all done with Menzerna products and Pinnacle Souvern carnuba as it was relegated to car shows and nothing else. All I used was MF towels since 2001 and they produce no swirling or imperfections at all.

Old 5/4/10, 03:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by eci
MF sucks? I find that funny.....
Old 5/4/10, 03:24 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eci
Crappy MF towels do exist. I try to be wary of cotton unless they're 100%. I use them as a last wipe down to catch any residue.

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
I'm going to side with eci on this one. I use 100% high quality (like more expensive than what I use for myself in most cases) WHITE COTTON towels. Never wash them with anything else.
Never wash MF or cotton products with anything else, as the fibers can get intertwined and cause swirls down the road.

I'm not going to disagree, but I will say that you need to do some looking and not buy the huge packs of MF towels unless you plan on using them as rags. Some of the nicer products, like the Cobra towels, are top notch, and do a great job and leave NO residue behind.
Old 5/4/10, 03:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by todd03blown
MF sucks? I find that funny.....
MF doesn't "suck" really. The argument is that the 100% Cotton bath towels have more fibers for the the dirt to get caught up and settle down into, leaving the top layers of the fibers clean. MF doesn't have the same amount of "depth," if you will.
Old 5/4/10, 04:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by DontShoot
MF doesn't "suck" really. The argument is that the 100% Cotton bath towels have more fibers for the the dirt to get caught up and settle down into, leaving the top layers of the fibers clean. MF doesn't have the same amount of "depth," if you will.
Yep I am fully aware. I am a long time poster/reader over at autopia and do my own details and learned from one of the best in the Atlanta area (hobby of mine if you will). I buy the good MF towels and love them as that is what my detailer friend uses on the exotics he does. Both are good options for sure.
Old 5/4/10, 04:06 PM
eci
Banned

Anyone who actually learns knows 100% USA made cotton bath towels > *.

MF is for people who buy their detailing supplies at Pep Boys.
Old 5/4/10, 04:10 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by eci
Anyone who actually learns knows 100% USA made cotton bath towels > *.

MF is for people who buy their detailing supplies at Pep Boys.
:scre wy:
Old 5/4/10, 04:32 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MF left very faint scratches in my clear coat the first time I used it. They could only be seen under flourescent lights that I had in my garage. Went back to 100% cotton and haven't had the problem since.
Old 5/4/10, 04:35 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
MF left very faint scratches in my clear coat the first time I used it. They could only be seen under flourescent lights that I had in my garage. Went back to 100% cotton and haven't had the problem since.
That'll be the story from anyone who pays attention to what their products do to their car.
Old 5/4/10, 04:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was always under the impression microfiber was the best. You're saying that if I buy some nice cobra MF towels my clearcoat will get scratches? What?
Old 5/4/10, 04:36 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by jokerstars
I was always under the impression microfiber was the best. You're saying that if I buy some nice cobra MF towels my clearcoat will get scratches? What?
MF is "the best" because of aggressive marketing. 100% USA made cotton bath towels with any edging/binding trimmed off are actually THE best.
Old 5/4/10, 04:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by eci
MF is "the best" because of aggressive marketing. 100% USA made cotton bath towels with any edging/binding trimmed off are actually THE best.
So just go into bed bath and beyond pick up some 100% made in the usa bathroom towels? That's it?

Seems too good to be true!
Old 5/4/10, 04:49 PM
Cobra Member

nope you won't....but both options are good and deliver great results.
Old 5/4/10, 04:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by todd03blown
both options are good and deliver great results.
Well said.
Old 5/4/10, 04:51 PM
eci
Banned

So just go into bed bath and beyond pick up some 100% made in the usa bathroom towels? That's it?

Seems too good to be true!
Yes. They will run around $15/ea if good ones.

Quick Reply: Should I get my new Mustang immediately washed and waxed?