Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Should I get my new Mustang immediately washed and waxed?

Search this Thread

Old 5/5/10, 09:02 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could always Line-X your car and never worry about swirl marks again. . .
Old 5/5/10, 09:21 AM
GT Member

New to this . . .

Coupla questions:

* Any products for a black convertible vinyl roof?

* What the hell is claybar?

(ETA 5/22, if the 800-number is to be believed . . . )
Old 5/5/10, 09:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rabbi Mike
* What the hell is claybar?
Here is Meguiar's clay bar kit. I use this on my cars. It really takes a lot of dirt out of the paint.
Old 5/5/10, 09:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by fritzOSU03
Here is Meguiar's clay bar kit. I use this on my cars. It really takes a lot of dirt out of the paint.
You don't really realize how much "crap" is in your paint/clearcoat until you clean it with a clay bar.
Old 5/5/10, 09:41 AM
GT Member

Is it difficult to use a clay bar, and if done incorrectly can it cause a lot of damage to the paint finish? Is it easy to use incorrectly?
Old 5/5/10, 09:43 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Steven
Is it difficult to use a clay bar, and if done incorrectly can it cause a lot of damage to the paint finish? Is it easy to use incorrectly?
Gooood question!

AND -- will it really make a difference right out of the factory?
Old 5/5/10, 09:44 AM
Cobra R Member

No, and shouldn't. They key is to make sure you use whatever "lubricant" comes with it. It's never a good idea to let the clay bar get on a dry paint finish.
Old 5/5/10, 09:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mike, read the previous pages. I've asked the EXACT SAME QUESTIONS.
Old 5/5/10, 09:46 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Rabbi Mike
Gooood question!

AND -- will it really make a difference right out of the factory?
Not right out of the factory. Maybe not even after transit. A lot depends on the conditions the car has been exposed to until you take delivery. The advantage of doing it early is that you'll have less crap to actually pick up with the clay so it should go faster and smoother.
Old 5/5/10, 09:47 AM
GT Member

I like washing my car. It's fun and I get a real sense of "getting something done", but reading this thread makes me realize I do about a 10th of what is probably required to get a fantastic show car finish. I'm thinking of bringing it to a professional and then just maintaining what they do.

If I did this, what type of products would I need, or will it really depend on the products that the detailers use?
Old 5/5/10, 09:47 AM
Cobra Member

make sure to knead the clay bar after you use it on one side. and keep the area you are working well lubricated so the clay slides like hockey puck on ice. Also you don't have to use that much pressure when pushing the clay bar. As you use it you will see the clay bar get dirty and show you all the contaiminates that were on the surface of your car.
Old 5/5/10, 09:51 AM
Cobra R Member

I like washing my car. It's fun and I get a real sense of "getting something done", but reading this thread makes me realize I do about a 10th of what is probably required to get a fantastic show car finish. I'm thinking of bringing it to a professional and then just maintaining what they do.

If I did this, what type of products would I need, or will it really depend on the products that the detailers use?
That's like asking what the right "religion" is. . . please let's not start that up again.

Just go back and read this thread and you'll see all kinds of recommendations. Car care truly is a religion even if all those non-Zaino users are wrong.
Old 5/5/10, 09:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
That's like asking what the right "religion" is. . . please let's not start that up again.

Just go back and read this thread and you'll see all kinds of recommendations. Car care truly is a religion even if all those non-Zaino users are wrong.
boy you got that right...LOL @ the zaino comment.

I base my product use on the color of my car. I was a big Zaino person with my 2001 Silver cobra convertible then switched to different products for my black cobra.
Old 5/5/10, 10:33 AM
GT Member

Ah, I see. So regardless of if you're starting from scratch or just maintaining the current finish, the same products should be used. I gotcha.

In that case, I'll just ask the detailers what I should use!
Old 5/5/10, 10:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Ah, I see. So regardless of if you're starting from scratch or just maintaining the current finish, the same products should be used. I gotcha.

In that case, I'll just ask the detailers what I should use!
That's an easy answer: "their business card."
Old 5/5/10, 10:47 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, that's the beauty of it all. You really almost have to try a variety of products and processes and see what works for you. Obviously, washing, claying, polishing, and sealing are the proper steps, but the materials you use vary quite a bit.

I'll give you a breakdown of what I typically use on a customer car:

Car Wash: Meg's Gold Class (smells/looks like Dial hand soap!)
Claybar/Lubricant: Mother's Clay kit
Polish: Meg's #105 & #205 OR Klasse All-In-One (depends on the level/type of paint and condition)
Sealant: Klasse Sealant Glaze (I have some Collonite 845 on order though, which has been a great product in all the applications I've seen in person)
Wax: Poorboy's Natty Wax

Wheel Cleaner: Car Soap & Meg's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner (work quickly, this stuff is STRONG!)
Clay: Typically the clay bar that was last used on paint that has gotten too dirty goes to the wheels
Sealant: Poorboy's Wheel Sealant
Tire Dressing: Varies (Usually Meg's Hot Shine, then wiped with an applicator pad to stop slinging)

Glass: Stoner Invisible Glass (Outer glass is treated with Glass Scrub, then with Rain-X)

Other products I use: Meg's Hyper Dressing (various dilutions), 1:1 Isopropyl alcohol mixture, 0000 steel wool.
Old 5/5/10, 10:48 AM
GTR Member

That's an easy answer: "their business card."
More like : A few Benjamins!
Old 5/5/10, 11:39 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HOLY CRAP overboost thats a lot of car care! Can you post how often you do each process and how much time each one takes?
Old 5/5/10, 12:01 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
HOLY CRAP overboost thats a lot of car care! Can you post how often you do each process and how much time each one takes?
Trust me, it's not as bad as it sounds.

Twice a year, I clay, polish, seal, and wax the car. That typically takes 4-6 hours for the exterior. In between the major times, I will wash the car, pull it in the garage, and throw another coat of wax on the car, provided the paint is still in good shape and feel. I may spot clay a section, but typically, I can go from Apr-Oct/Nov before I need to clay it again.

I rotate the tires myself, and when I do, I pull them off, wash them extremely well, then clay the front of the spokes if needed and throw some PWS on there before they go back on the car.

I wash my car once a week and it typically takes about 45-60 min. That's starting with the wheels, then washing the paint from the top down. After that, I sometimes clean the glass again if I see streaks on it.
Old 5/5/10, 01:36 PM
GT Member

Ah, so you don't do it every time you wash the car, or even once a month. Now it makes more sense. It was sounding like people were spending more time washing/waxing their car than driving it.

Quick Reply: Should I get my new Mustang immediately washed and waxed?