Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sedan and Wagon Mustangs? WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 12/15/06, 08:25 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Second, here is what he emailed back before we opened for business this morning:

Jeff,
Understand that I cant talk about future product. There are hardcore Mustang fans running the brand currently. We are you. You cant trust everything you read in a magazine.

Happy Holidays.

Jim

Needless to say, this story is for all intensive purposes dead in the water.
I wouldn't say his email back to you constitutes dead in the water. Not by a long shot. What you have there is a "non-denial denial". He's telling you that hard core Mustang fans are running the brand - that means nothing. Then he says you can't trust everything you read in a magazine. Again, that means nothing. My point is, he's essentially agreeing with you, but he's not refuting the stories outright. Remember, his first sentence reads: Understand that I cant talk about future product.

It's a "politician's reply."
Old 12/16/06, 01:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys don't worried, Ford is not mading a 4 door Mustang but the Ford Falcon is coming back on the Mustang's new platforn for 2010 and replace the Crown Vic. and the new Falcon is hot see here on http://www.fpv.com.au/index.aspx check out on down loads see why.
Old 12/16/06, 01:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.....glad ford is somewhat listening, ck out this link:

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...&make_id=trust
Old 12/16/06, 04:08 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,627 Posts
Originally Posted by 05mach1
Guys don't worried, Ford is not mading a 4 door Mustang but the Ford Falcon is coming back on the Mustang's new platforn for 2010 and replace the Crown Vic. and the new Falcon is hot see here on http://www.fpv.com.au/index.aspx check out on down loads see why.
I suggest you read the latest Ford press release ?? there is no mention of the Falcon coming back nor is there any plans of a new Mustang platform for 2010 ?? The 2010 will continue to be based upon the current D2C platform but will be updated before the new restyle takes place in late 09 and is then to be released during the 10 model year.. STATEMENT - FORD: “NO PLANS FOR EXPANDED MUSTANG LINE”Featured StoriesPress Releases
DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 15 – Ford Motor Company today made clear that recent media speculation concerning an expanded Mustang line – including a sedan and wagon model to be sold in global markets – is not true. Mustang is an icon and will continue in its current form: a unique, two-door, rear-wheel drive, 2+2 performance car. At the 2007 North American International Auto Show, Ford will unveil a four-door, rear-wheel-drive concept car. The concept, known as “The Interceptor”, is based on the Mustang’s rear-wheel-drive architecture but it is not a Mustang and no production plans have been announced. Additional information on the Ford rear-drive concept will be available December 31, 2006.
Old 12/16/06, 05:04 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No mention of a Falcon doesn't mean... there is no Falcon

A Ford 4 door concept called the 'Interceptor' can only mean so many things
Heck even if they called it that, it'd be pretty cool
Old 12/16/06, 05:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Thank goodness they made that statement. A wagon or sedan would Kill the image...I would have been very dissapointed if they did...

I really Love my Mustang...Ford, keep up the good work, I will be a customer for life...
Old 12/16/06, 06:39 PM
Closet American

Thank god they made that statement all right. Good to see that they're on the ball with damage control and aware that Mustang loyalists were about to defect!

This statement...

At the 2007 North American International Auto Show, Ford will unveil a four-door, rear-wheel-drive concept car. The concept, known as “The Interceptor”, is based on the Mustang’s rear-wheel-drive architecture but it is not a Mustang and no production plans have been announced. Additional information on the Ford rear-drive concept will be available December 31, 2006.

...is interesting. But Ford needs to show upcoming production vehicles, not more concepts that will never see the light of day. I hope this Interceptor has the "right stuff," more importantly, I hope it's something planned for more than clay.
Old 12/16/06, 08:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

any pics of the interceptor?
Old 12/16/06, 09:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
I wouldn't say his email back to you constitutes dead in the water. Not by a long shot. What you have there is a "non-denial denial". He's telling you that hard core Mustang fans are running the brand - that means nothing. Then he says you can't trust everything you read in a magazine. Again, that means nothing. My point is, he's essentially agreeing with you, but he's not refuting the stories outright. Remember, his first sentence reads: Understand that I cant talk about future product.

It's a "politician's reply."
Uh, it's a "I don't want to lose my job because of company confidentiality policies" response. It's a "read between the lines" reply.
Old 12/16/06, 09:51 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Uh, it's a "I don't want to lose my job because of company confidentiality policies" response. It's a "read between the lines" reply.
Moot point. Ford has officially dispelled the story.
Old 12/16/06, 10:27 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,627 Posts
If there is a possibility of the Falcon returning ??? I'm assuming that it's the aussie Falcon platform that's been rumored as replacing the Stang's current D2C platform ?? and if my assumption is correct ? it would make absolutely no logical sense whatsoever If Ford were to scrap the highly successful D2C which is barely going on just 2 years old in favor of the Aussie Falcon platform that's nearly approaching 50 years... correct me if I'm wrong but would that not be taking a very huge step backwards if Ford decided to scrap a platform that's still very fresh in it's infancy in favor of a platform which is considered as not only outdated ? but also as ancient technology as well ?? think about it..
Old 12/17/06, 02:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Jeff, Understand that I cant talk about future product. There are hardcore Mustang fans running the brand currently. We are you. You cant trust everything you read in a magazine.

Happy Holidays.

Jim

Needless to say, this story is for all intensive purposes dead in the water.
Jeff, thanks for posting this. I feel better now .

Don't forget, everyone, that the '64-1/2 Mustang was based on the '60 Falcon platform but the two cars looked as different as night and day. Hopefully that is what Ford will do with this project and it won't look like or be called a Mustang.
Old 12/17/06, 03:00 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by EleanorsMine
Thats like the Ford **** Probe of the early 90s- Fugliest thing ever. Thank GOD it didn't become the mustang.
There was nothing wrong with the Probe. It was the right car for its time.

It just wasn't a Mustang, nor should it have ever been considered as one.
Old 12/17/06, 08:06 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by EleanorsMine
Thats like the Ford **** Probe of the early 90s- Fugliest thing ever.
Hey, I liked my Probe and it never did anything inappropriate to my backside
Old 12/17/06, 08:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
There was nothing wrong with the Probe. It was the right car for its time.

It just wasn't a Mustang, nor should it have ever been considered as one.
Agreed. I had an '89 and it was a great car.
Old 12/17/06, 08:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Moot point. Ford has officially dispelled the story.
Yes, it is - my post was "retroactive"

I really believe that "Mustang people running the brand" means A LOT.
Old 12/17/06, 09:17 AM
GT Member

Ford doesn’t get it (Apparently, they don’t know what the have). They are trying to cashing in on the Mustangs success anyway they can even if it means destroying the mustang! Remember back when ford came up with the brilliant idea to transform the mustang into a front wheel drive car? Imagine if that happened; where the mustang would be today??????? Listen FORD, The mustang is what it is today because of its originality, It’s an American Muscle Icon. Don’t F’it up.
Old 12/17/06, 09:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Vallee
Ford doesn’t get it (Apparently, they don’t know what the have). They are trying to cashing in on the Mustangs success anyway they can even if it means destroying the mustang! Remember back when ford came up with the brilliant idea to transform the mustang into a front wheel drive car? Imagine if that happened; where the mustang would be today??????? Listen FORD, The mustang is what it is today because of its originality, It’s an American Muscle Icon. Don’t F’it up.
Don't worry, Ford has already dispelled this rumor. It's already been posted in another thread in this forum.
Old 12/17/06, 12:02 PM
GT Member

ALWAYS WORRY!! If the wrong sort of people (some of which are in the glass house now) are let loose in the wrong place(as happened to some other dear nameplates) the result is death to the pony. Ford does acknowledge our contribution to the car and its history and sales, but not as much as is deserved.

It is the customers and fans that keep the car pure, and some of the best work(and have worked, right John?) at Ford. Many at Ford however are not car people and have very limited sight lines...and some pretty callous career ambitions.
Old 12/17/06, 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by StangNut
You would welcome a 4-door Mustang?? I'm not talking about another car built on the Mustang platform, but a MUSTANG with 4 doors??

If so, you sir are not, nor have you ever been a Mustanger.

If you're simply talking about a different named 4-door car on the Mustang platform then disregard my emotional comments and I appologize for my misunderstanding of your post.

BTW, it's the name that everyone's disagreeing with. Not the platform.

I'm talking about a 4 door Falcon or whatever they call it, I knew Autoweek was just spreading rumors, thank God, I just don't like hearing people talk about jumping ship because of some dumb magazine. Apparently the 4 door sedan that's going tobe at Detroit is just built off the Mustang platform, not the Falcon as of now.. Interceptor sounds good to me...

Quick Reply: Sedan and Wagon Mustangs? WTF?