Sponsored By:

Sedan and Wagon Mustangs? WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 12/13/06, 08:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Great post!

What we don't know is how Mulally wants to incorporate his 'global' business plan in the coming years. Platform sharing (LHD/RHD, RWD/AWD, FWD/AWD, etc.) needs to be addressed. What is the likelihood of a 'new' RWD global chassis? FMC currently has (under FMC banner) D2C, Panther, and E8 . . . . correct? Or am I missing one? I suppose they still have DEW98 and D2 (which both suffered from cost issues.)
I agree regarding Mullaly, he is obviously still an unknown quantity within Ford. But as I say above he claims to be a loyal student of Toyota manufacturing methods, and Toyota does not like to invest heavily in dead, or old, platforms.

In my response to Jetsolver above I mention that I could see a cost argument for producing E8 based sedans, and possibly suv's, in the States since you could simply create relatively inexpensive soft tooling, mirrored from the tooling Australia will employ, minimizing investment. But the same would make for a somewhat limited production vehicle with a limited life span.

Of course, this option makes the most sense if Ford has decided that there is a need/demand for rwd sedans in the U.S. market right now, and wants to satisfy that need with minimal investment. Of course the soft tooling would dictate the need for new equipment, and more likely a new platform, within only a few year........but if Ford plans on replacing all their rwd stuff with global platforms eventually anyway....

My issue is that I can find no hard evidence to support the idea that E8 is that global platform. more likely products based off of E8 are an interim solution until a global alternative appears.
Old 12/13/06, 08:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could see them using the platform. As a matter of fact I expect them to use it.

I hope they call it a Torino or a Maverick or something like that.
Old 12/13/06, 08:55 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1969 Mustang Mach 1

Please give me a break
I am going to have nightmares tonight. Thanks.

Old 12/13/06, 09:33 PM
FR500 Member

Woo hoo! I can see the line forming at the Ford dealerships for those models!

Whoever made that suggestion needs a swift kick in the . Preferrably with the kicker using steel toe work boots. And the same for anyone else for allowing it to even remain in the realm possibility.
Old 12/14/06, 02:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Juice
This is just like 1982 all over again That was the year Mercury made 4 door Cougars - and that car never, ever recovered from the embarassment!...
+1! Actually, the first Cougar sedans (and wagons) were '77s and I agree that the name should never have been used on them.

The 500 seems to be a slow seller, so I'm thinking Ford won't use that name. Mercury resurrected the Montego name for its version of the 500, and that doesn't seem to be selling well, either. Mustang is the hottest thing Ford has right now, so that is probably why they are considering it (if in fact they are).
Old 12/14/06, 02:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

I think I just threw up a little .
Old 12/14/06, 03:01 AM
Closet American

It's not April is it?

This is either someone's idea of a sick joke, or Ford Motor Co. is flat out of ideas.

People criticize the strategy of bringing some of Ford's European products over here...and yet this is the strategy the North American geniuses are dreaming up?
Old 12/14/06, 07:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

1) If Ford even thinks about making a Mustang sedan or wagon they seriously would tarnish the Mustang brand.

2) As a first time Stang owner and hopefully future owner of a 2010 model would be looking at a Camaro seriously if this were to happen. The Mustang just wouldn't be special at this point.

3) There are so many good name out there to put on Ford cars. How about building a new brand for once. Looks like the Fusion is doing well. The 500 would be great too if they went with the concept look.

4) This is going straight to Ford. If you all are really even thinking about this idea you might as well fold up shop now. I have no experience in the car business but I have a feeling I could come up with better stuff in my sleep. PM me if you interested in hiring someone with good ideas.
Old 12/14/06, 08:03 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Galaxie
I think it would be great to use this platform to build a smaller, tight-handling RWD 4-door (a North American brother to the australian Falcon). Throw an IRS and a few extra doors and give it to lincoln or Mercury. But calling it a Mustang would be like AC/DC putting out a pop album and touring with Backstreet boys to reach a larger audience.
i agree i hope they dont do it either. but ford is all about making money and i think if they would make money off of it then they are going to do it. i think ac/dc might do it to if they were in the financial troubles ford was. they might risk ****ing off a few loyal fans to appease the masses to make ends meet. a 4 door mustang would be worse than the 4 door charger
Old 12/14/06, 08:48 AM

I think everyone who has seen this forum or has written on this forum should email Ford stating your concern. Maybe if enough people do it Ford will listen.
Old 12/14/06, 09:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

OMG, please not!!!
Old 12/14/06, 09:33 AM
V6 Member

I would hope that there are enough intelligent folks left at Ford, unless they all took the incentive packages and split, to realize that naming any 4-door sedan or wagan variant "Mustang", would be the death of Ford Motor Company, plain and simple! As previously stated numerous times, using the platform, sure, I'm all for it, but naming it Mustang, forget it. What's really disconcerting to me is that Ford has a previous track record of pulling this kind of stunt, Thunderbird and Cougar come to mind right away.
Old 12/14/06, 09:37 AM
FR500 Member

well if this is the case...this may be the 1st and last mustang i own. u dont see a corvette sedan or wagon, same with the viper...come on

next thing we know they r gonna be making a GT500 suv
Old 12/14/06, 09:49 AM
GT Member

CNN has broke the story as well:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/12/14/...ons/index.html
Old 12/14/06, 10:07 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great, some more SE, limited production mustangs for the dealerships to get rich off of. .................................................. ...........Oh by the way I am being sarcastic.
Old 12/14/06, 10:16 AM
Bullitt Member

It looks like a "weather balloon" to me - put the idea out there and see which way the wind is blowing.
The overwhelming feedback would be a "hurricane" brewing.

"The market is there, build it, but don't call it a Mustang" is probably the feedback they are looking for.

Ford was very deliberate and careful when they developed the current Mustang and they made sure it was true to the Mustang Heritage, so I am sure saner heads will prevail.
Old 12/14/06, 10:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Boooo!!!
Old 12/14/06, 10:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by lethaljay
Yeah, and notice that CNN claims that the Lincoln concept will be on an IRS infused D2C platform and not the E8 platform many folks claim. These guys are all over the place. For everyone here don't put too much faith in any of this since, even if it is true, there are so many possible scenarios that to get worked up over Ford calling it a 4-dr Mustang is pointless.

Heck, they could be calling a possible future 4-dr vehicle the '4dr Mustang' because it's based on the Mustang and they don't know what they are going to call it yet. As I said above, there are far too many assumptions floating around here without anything to back them up.

btw I absolutely agree Galaxie. A 4-dr swb sedan based on the Mustang is definately so good I can't believe it hasn't been done yet. And I'd love to see it badged as a Mercury, wearing the god's head logo, and called a Meteor. They could create a heck of an add campaign from that, not to mention a killer array of colors.

I kinda like the tag 'Prepare for Impact' followed by the vehicle's upcoming debut date.

For some color ideas they could use
Meteor Red
Satellite White
Quasar Blue

I thought about Black Hole as a tag for black, but that brings too much baggage to be sure.
Old 12/14/06, 11:19 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I propose a Mustang "Man-Law": Mustangs can only come with 2 passenger doors.

Man-Law?
Old 12/14/06, 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Man law! I do like that they mentioned IRS in the article though. I had to laugh when they interviewed some guy who wrote a book about Mustangs and he said it wa no big deal about making a wagon. People have been making Mustangs into wagons for years. So he thinks since 14 people did it that its ok to mas market it to the loyalists....what a moron.

Quick Reply: Sedan and Wagon Mustangs? WTF?