2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Rim/tire size input needed, please

Search this Thread

Old 11/23/13, 02:28 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Rim/tire size input needed, please

This winter I plan on ordering a new set of rims/tires to support my quest for added "grip". My Maggie blower install has left me longing for traction.

Thus, I had a few questions for you. I am no expert on widths and offsets. I would like to know what sizes I should get???

Here's my MIRs (most important requirements):

1) at least 285 or 295 wide

2) either 19s or 20s

3) am on the fence regarding staggered or square setup. Staggered, better handling, looks good. Square, ability to rotate.

4) rears must be flush to fenders... No hickish looking protrusions. Here's where the "offsets" come into play. I'm not quite familiar with the numbers for those.

5) must not have any rubbing issues at all

Lastly, I am lowered on Ford K springs, so I'm sure it makes a difference with the size and offset.

Can you experts out there please advise? Establishing the correct size is the first step. Once I have that established, I will make another thread on what KIND (style/brand) of rims to get.

Thanks in advance, fellow pony lovers.

Last edited by FromZto5; 11/23/13 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11/23/13, 03:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Was just looking up tire sizes earlier today for the girlfriend's Shelby and possibly my car for next year

Ended up thinking that we'll most likely do 265/35/20 fronts with 305/30/20 rears, if going with 20's

Haven't researched 19's that much ...
Old 11/23/13, 03:14 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Gabe
Was just looking up tire sizes earlier today for the girlfriend's Shelby and possibly my car for next year Ended up thinking that we'll most likely do 265/35/20 fronts with 305/30/20 rears, if going with 20's Haven't researched 19's that much ...
Gabe... Will I have rubbing with that wide a rear tho? I don't want to have to roll the fenders.
Old 11/23/13, 03:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Gabe... Will I have rubbing with that wide a rear tho? I don't want to have to roll the fenders.
Don't think you can roll the fenders on our cars, the lip is already flattened against the back of the fender.

As far as rubbing, shouldn't, but that will depend on the wheel width and offset.
Old 11/23/13, 03:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I have 315's on the back and 285's on the front of my Shelby. They do not rub the fenders, but there is a very, very slight contact with the inner plastic on the front when the wheel is turned all the way to lock either left or right. They've been on there now for well over a month and the plastic hasn't worn smooth, the tires aren't showing any wear from rubbing. They do not contact the plastic at any point prior to steering lock.

My Shelby is at stock ride height.
Old 11/23/13, 03:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
I have 315's on the back and 285's on the front of my Shelby. They do not rub the fenders, but there is a very, very slight contact with the inner plastic on the front when the wheel is turned all the way to lock either left or right. They've been on there now for well over a month and the plastic hasn't worn smooth, the tires aren't showing any wear from rubbing. They do not contact the plastic at any point prior to steering lock.

My Shelby is at stock ride height.
That's cool .... what are the full tire sizes and wheel sizes you're running?
Old 11/23/13, 04:13 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

315/30/20 Toyo 888's on 20"x11" rear wheels with a 55mm offset. Fronts are 285/35/20 888's on 20"x9". The tires on front and rear are both flush with the fenders.
Old 11/23/13, 07:07 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Gabe
Don't think you can roll the fenders on our cars, the lip is already flattened against the back of the fender.

As far as rubbing, shouldn't, but that will depend on the wheel width and offset.
That's what I need help with... The right widest width and correct offset I can get without rubbing.

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
315/30/20 Toyo 888's on 20"x11" rear wheels with a 55mm offset. Fronts are 285/35/20 888's on 20"x9". The tires on front and rear are both flush with the fenders.
Thanks for info. You're at stock Shelby height tho right? I would think my K springs are a tad lower, no? Hmmmmm

Any other input from you or anyone else?

So far I have 315/30/20 on 20 x 11 for rear. Then 285/35/20 on 20 x 9 for front.

I think the key is the k springs that I have. Anyone else with k springs out there with aftermarket wide wheels/tires? If so, what sizes you running?

Last edited by FromZto5; 11/23/13 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11/24/13, 07:08 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

The ride height is stock. There are problems with the adjustable dampers not working correctly with a lowered suspension for some owners which is why I haven't done so. Also, the long tube headers hang lower than the stock exhaust by roughly 1/2" to 3/4". Too much lower and I risk rubbing it against manhole covers or pavement if I hit a low spot or a pothole. Not interested in that.
Old 11/24/13, 07:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Staggered is more for straight line it doesn't handle as well as a square setup because the wider rear wheels/tires induce more understeer. I personally have done both (on a different car) and prefer the square setup. You tune this out by adding more rear swaybar.
Also you can pick a wheel, determine it's sizes and offsets and still may encounter problems with clearing the Brembo Calipers. So keep that in mind.

This is a quote from squid on AFM that should help.
Offsets:

There is a lot of confusion on how wheel offsets work, what wheels will fit, etc. I’m going to skip the tutorial on how wheel offset works and go straight to what offsets work with what width rims. This is not because I don’t think you should understand offset, it’s because I don’t feel like typing all of that. I recommend doing a google search on wheel offset and getting yourself familiar with how it works so you can figure this stuff out in the future.

I would also like to add that I don’t consider wheels/tires that stick out past the fenders or are even with the fenders right…..because they are NOT! Yeah, tires/wheels that are flush mounted with the fenders look cool, but there are WRONG. During semi hard cornering they will rub, period. And if they can rub, they are wrong. There is no excuse to have tires that can contact the fenders. You can run 315’s at all four corners with no rubbing if the wheel is offset correctly. Having 275-295’s that can rub, there is no excuse for.

There are a TON of “Mustang” rims out there that don’t fit! Do not just blindly take a manufacturers/vendors claims at face value. Research the fitment yourself and make sure you are getting rims/tires that fit correctly.

Here are the popular wheel widths and the offset range you want to run them in to fit CORRECTLY. Wheel diameter doesn’t matter:

Front:

There is a little more leeway with the front because the wheel/tire is tipped in at the top (camber) which allows the use of a wider rim w/ less offset than if they were perfectly straight up and down. Push these minimum offset numbers (the smaller of the two) at your own risk. Cars with 2.5deg+ of camber will be a lot more forgiving than cars running the stock 1-1.5deg of camber.

9.0” rim 33-38mm offset
9.5” rim 39-44mm offset
10” rim 44-50mm offset
10.5” rim 50-53mm offset

Rear:

9.0” rim 35-38mm offset
9.5” rim 41-44mm offset
10” rim 48-51mm offset
10.5” rim 55-58mm offset
11” rim 62-63mm offset
Old 11/24/13, 07:40 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Black Fire
Staggered is more for straight line it doesn't handle as well as a square setup because the wider rear wheels/tires induce more understeer. I personally have done both (on a different car) and prefer the square setup. You tune this out by adding more rear swaybar. Also you can pick a wheel, determine it's sizes and offsets and still may encounter problems with clearing the Brembo Calipers. So keep that in mind. This is a quote from squid on AFM that should help. Offsets: There is a lot of confusion on how wheel offsets work, what wheels will fit, etc. I’m going to skip the tutorial on how wheel offset works and go straight to what offsets work with what width rims. This is not because I don’t think you should understand offset, it’s because I don’t feel like typing all of that. I recommend doing a google search on wheel offset and getting yourself familiar with how it works so you can figure this stuff out in the future. I would also like to add that I don’t consider wheels/tires that stick out past the fenders or are even with the fenders right…..because they are NOT! Yeah, tires/wheels that are flush mounted with the fenders look cool, but there are WRONG. During semi hard cornering they will rub, period. And if they can rub, they are wrong. There is no excuse to have tires that can contact the fenders. You can run 315’s at all four corners with no rubbing if the wheel is offset correctly. Having 275-295’s that can rub, there is no excuse for. There are a TON of “Mustang” rims out there that don’t fit! Do not just blindly take a manufacturers/vendors claims at face value. Research the fitment yourself and make sure you are getting rims/tires that fit correctly. Here are the popular wheel widths and the offset range you want to run them in to fit CORRECTLY. Wheel diameter doesn’t matter: Front: There is a little more leeway with the front because the wheel/tire is tipped in at the top (camber) which allows the use of a wider rim w/ less offset than if they were perfectly straight up and down. Push these minimum offset numbers (the smaller of the two) at your own risk. Cars with 2.5deg+ of camber will be a lot more forgiving than cars running the stock 1-1.5deg of camber. 9.0” rim 33-38mm offset 9.5” rim 39-44mm offset 10” rim 44-50mm offset 10.5” rim 50-53mm offset Rear: 9.0” rim 35-38mm offset 9.5” rim 41-44mm offset 10” rim 48-51mm offset 10.5” rim 55-58mm offset 11” rim 62-63mm offset
Thanks a ton for this info. Great analysis there, but I'm assuming that his info is as it pertains to stock ride height? Do the offsets and widths still apply if I'm lowered on K springs? That's what worries me. What widths/offsets combo would you suggest for me?

Widest square combo?

Widest staggered combo?

I would think with square I can go no more than 285 (for fronts limit)
Old 11/24/13, 08:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks a ton for this info. Great analysis there, but I'm assuming that his info is as it pertains to stock ride height? Do the offsets and widths still apply if I'm lowered on K springs? That's what worries me. What widths/offsets combo would you suggest for me?

Widest square combo?

Widest staggered combo?

I would think with square I can go no more than 285 (for fronts limit)
The above info works in regards to lowered cars.
There are guys running 18x11's with 315's on all corners but you need to nail the offsets. Unfortunately the fronts and rears will still need different offsets to do this, which kills the idea of rotating.
The hard part is finding a wheel in a size that you want with an offset that works front and rear and that clears the Brembo's. With so many people going the staggered route it's hard to find info on wide wheels that work in the front. And the people that do know are not telling. The quote from squidd above was the best info I had seen at the time.
Most of the packaged staggered sets are ??x8.5/10 combos some have 9" fronts. I myself would not go with a wheel that is narrower in the front than my Brembo's, (19x9 with +42 offset) and if I pick a wheel that is the same width then why change at all. I'm not about just the look I want the performance also but I'm not everyone. Many people are going to steer you towards a certain wheel or wheel combo based on what they have seen or what worked for them. Nothing wrong with that but I personally don't follow the crowd and go the cookie cutter route. I would rather make a statement and be different.
Old 11/24/13, 09:20 AM
I Have No Life

The above info works in regards to lowered cars. There are guys running 18x11's with 315's on all corners but you need to nail the offsets. Unfortunately the fronts and rears will still need different offsets to do this, which kills the idea of rotating. The hard part is finding a wheel in a size that you want with an offset that works front and rear and that clears the Brembo's. With so many people going the staggered route it's hard to find info on wide wheels that work in the front. And the people that do know are not telling. The quote from squidd above was the best info I had seen at the time. Most of the packaged staggered sets are ??x8.5/10 combos some have 9" fronts. I myself would not go with a wheel that is narrower in the front than my Brembo's, (19x9 with +42 offset) and if I pick a wheel that is the same width then why change at all. I'm not about just the look I want the performance also but I'm not everyone. Many people are going to steer you towards a certain wheel or wheel combo based on what they have seen or what worked for them. Nothing wrong with that but I personally don't follow the crowd and go the cookie cutter route. I would rather make a statement and be different.
Interesting. So the combo I am pasting below (from your original post) is not only for lowered stangs but also clears brembos? Because i do have brembos as well.

Front:

9.0” rim 33-38mm offset
9.5” rim 39-44mm offset
10” rim 44-50mm offset
10.5” rim 50-53mm offset

Rear:

9.0” rim 35-38mm offset
9.5” rim 41-44mm offset
10” rim 48-51mm offset
10.5” rim 55-58mm offset
11” rim 62-63mm offset

Given that, would a wise combo be

Front = 10" with 47mm offset
Rear = 10" with 50mm offset
For square

Front = 9.5" with 41mm offset
Rear = 10.5" with 56mm offset
For staggered

For example??? (Above)
Old 11/24/13, 09:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Pretty sure the SVT wheels I'm running are 18x9.5 with a 45mm offset all around and I really like the fit

Personally I'd love a 19x9 or 19x9.5 rim in the front and a 10" or 10.5" wide rear wheel in either 19 or 20" diameter.

Which now reminds me that the late model Shelby's run a 19/20" front/rear combo from the factory.
Which would work for me. Do a 285/35R19 on the front and a 305/30R20 on the rear
Old 11/24/13, 11:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Interesting. So the combo I am pasting below (from your original post) is not only for lowered stangs but also clears brembos? Because i do have brembos as well.

Front:

9.0” rim 33-38mm offset
9.5” rim 39-44mm offset
10” rim 44-50mm offset
10.5” rim 50-53mm offset

Rear:

9.0” rim 35-38mm offset
9.5” rim 41-44mm offset
10” rim 48-51mm offset
10.5” rim 55-58mm offset
11” rim 62-63mm offset

Given that, would a wise combo be

Front = 10" with 47mm offset
Rear = 10" with 50mm offset
For square

Front = 9.5" with 41mm offset
Rear = 10.5" with 56mm offset
For staggered

For example??? (Above)
The info I quoted from squidd are based on his findings for the S197.
Whether or not the offsets work with Brembo equipped cars is unknown because more of that has to do with individual wheels and their spoke design. Another thing is that some staggered wheel sets have 2 different variations of how concave the wheel is with the rear wheel being much more concave then the fronts. I personally don't like this and would want all the wheels to look similar regardless of their widths.

In regards to your examples above I believe those would work. I'm currently contemplating a 19x10 with the same +42 offset as the factory Brembo wheels. I pretty sure these would work but am unsure if the spokes will clear the Calipers. Without an actual test fit it's hard to know.
Old 11/24/13, 11:55 AM
I Have No Life

The info I quoted from squidd are based on his findings for the S197. Whether or not the offsets work with Brembo equipped cars is unknown because more of that has to do with individual wheels and their spoke design. Another thing is that some staggered wheel sets have 2 different variations of how concave the wheel is with the rear wheel being much more concave then the fronts. I personally don't like this and would want all the wheels to look similar regardless of their widths. In regards to your examples above I believe those would work. I'm currently contemplating a 19x10 with the same +42 offset as the factory Brembo wheels. I pretty sure these would work but am unsure if the spokes will clear the Calipers. Without an actual test fit it's hard to know.
Eeeek... This can't be this complicated

Aren't folks out there with brembos and k springs that have purchased wider aftermarket rims/tires that could provide some input? Should be simple...

Help!
Old 11/24/13, 02:21 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're talking about increasing traction to harness the extra power, any of these purely street tires isn't going to be able to put the power down in a drag race start, only a drag tire setup is going to do it.
Old 11/24/13, 03:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is a good wheel/tire thread from SVTPerformance. A lot of good info and pics.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...re-thread.html
Old 11/24/13, 03:34 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
If you're talking about increasing traction to harness the extra power, any of these purely street tires isn't going to be able to put the power down in a drag race start, only a drag tire setup is going to do it.
Of course. But I'm willing to compromise with a much wider and stickier "street" set up than the stock pirellis.
Old 11/24/13, 04:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eeeek... This can't be this complicated

Aren't folks out there with brembos and k springs that have purchased wider aftermarket rims/tires that could provide some input? Should be simple...

Help!
Hi, my name is Danielle, and I am precisely that person. :-)

Quick Reply: Rim/tire size input needed, please