Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Oil change interval

Search this Thread

Old 4/12/15, 12:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kestral
I think you should just reset it GrabberBlue if your motor is clean there is no way that oil is half used up by just sitting in the oil pan over the winter. Esp if it's a quality oil.
I honestly could care less what my OLM says since I change the oil just once a year. I was just reporting my findings.
Old 4/13/15, 08:46 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Plim
I have a 2013 GT. It now has 16 K miles on it. I've changed oil twice; every time only when the oil life monitor indicated that the oil had to be changed. The first time it was indicated at 10,000 miles the second time it was indicated at 15,000 miles. The first 10,000 miles were driven within the first year. The next 5000 miles were driven in one year after which the oil life monitor indicated that the oil had to be changed. So I think the oil life monitor looks at two things, mileage or actual oil quality, and the other one is 12 months. The indicator will come on when the first event happens.
I do check the oil levels on the regular basis, because I see that there is quite a lot of oil that is thrown out off the engine through the PCV valve and is caught in my Bob's oil catch can.

When I had the oil changed at 15k mile mark, the oil actually looked still very good (so 5K miles after the first oil change). I felt it was too early to have had it changed. It was clear that the oil life monitor indicator was triggered by the fact that 12 months had passed since the last oil change, and not because of the mileage or oil quality.

The dealership keeps calling me and sending email that oil needs to be changed. I think it is a scam, to get me into the dealership. I'm planning on getting a kwiklift and I'm going to do all the work on my toy car all at home.
All the manual says is that you MUST change the oil within 200 miles (i think) of the oil indicator going off to keep your warranty. But yeah, the dealerships still want you to do it every 3k because that's how they make their money.