Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Oil change interval

Search this Thread

Old 4/3/15, 07:44 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil change interval

I know this topic has been discussed before..

but..

I decided to drive the car until it told me to change the oil. I bought my car last July (2014) and have not changed the original oil yet...

Well this morning the change oil soon message finally came on for the first time...

Name:  photo_zpsnzqwdxqj.jpg
Views: 3994
Size:  148.9 KB

I was beginning to wonder if it was broken lol.
Old 4/3/15, 08:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only put about 3000 miles on my car since I bought it last January. I changed the oil when I got it and reset the oil life reminder. A year later the message to change the oil came up. I am not sure if it calculates it on time or usage, but since it came up after only 3000 miles I would assume it just bases it on time, unless you drive a heck of a lot of miles and that becomes a factor.
For your car, how many miles did you put on it? Was it new when you got it? Did you ever check the oil life remaining when you purchased the car?

Last edited by 88lx50; 4/3/15 at 08:33 AM.
Old 4/3/15, 09:40 AM
GT Member

I bought the car brand new with 30 miles on it last july (about 9 months ago).

On my previous cars I used to get the tires rotated with every oil change. Looks like I need get them done separately as I feel 9k+ miles is to long to wait.
Old 4/3/15, 10:48 AM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
The oil life monitor uses an algorithm to determine when to change oil. It takes a wide range of factors into account. Things like mileage, engine temps, how often the engine sees high rpm, time, etc. My personal philosophy regarding oil changes has always been that too frequent changes will put a relatively small dent in your wallet, but too seldom will put a much bigger one. At least it will if you keep your cars for a long time.
Old 4/3/15, 11:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Algorithm?

Isn't that a hip hop dance invented by a former vice president?
Old 4/3/15, 12:17 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
I change mine every 5K and reset the Oil Life Monitor. I bought an extra air filter for my CAI, so I swap out the air filter with a freshly cleaned and oiled one I keep on the shelf.
Old 4/3/15, 03:11 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had 38% oil life left when I parked it for winter. Soon as I started it in spring, it said change soon and now it says oil change required.

Definitely works on time as well as miles.
Old 4/3/15, 03:59 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 88lx50
I only put about 3000 miles on my car since I bought it last January. I changed the oil when I got it and reset the oil life reminder. A year later the message to change the oil came up. I am not sure if it calculates it on time or usage, but since it came up after only 3000 miles I would assume it just bases it on time, unless you drive a heck of a lot of miles and that becomes a factor.
For your car, how many miles did you put on it? Was it new when you got it? Did you ever check the oil life remaining when you purchased the car?
I don't think it calculates by time, I bought mine when it was 2 years old and it only had 480 miles on it. I can't remember what the life reminder had to say but I know it had plenty left. I suppose it could have been changed before I bought it but I doubt it.
Old 4/3/15, 05:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't know if the oil life monitor is accurate, I was stuck on 68% for over 3 weeks even though I daily drive my car and put about 700 miles on it, but now it seems to be working again. I have put almost 4000 miles on my car since the last oil change and its reading 64% the last time I checked. I have just over 7000 miles on my car, I did the first oil change around 3,300 miles back in Sept 14. I'm probably going to do the next one in May.
Old 4/3/15, 11:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

I bought my 14 GT in August of 13 and my OLM was in the high 90's. The car was built in 02/13.

I changed the oil for the first time in March of 14 with 4,600 miles on it and the OLM at 43%.

I changed the oil for the second time in March of 15 with 6,600 miles on it and the OLM at 2% and the message center said to "change oil soon".

I would say that the OLM uses some of both time and mileage as well as the Algorithm.

Wayne
Old 4/4/15, 06:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Guys, there are hundreds of posts on here debating this if you want to read more thoughts. In summary, there's no consensus.
Old 4/4/15, 07:34 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
Algorithm? Isn't that a hip hop dance invented by a former vice president?

*crickets*
Old 4/4/15, 11:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
*crickets*

My humor too clever.
Old 4/5/15, 04:45 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The consensus is use your own best judgement.
Old 4/8/15, 07:28 AM
GT Member

Time or usage, both. Though I thought the manual stated it should be changed twice a year minimum. Not once a year. Weird. Going a full year would cause my OCD to go into over-drive. I've seen what sludge on the inside of an engine looks like. It's not pretty.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 4/8/15 at 07:30 AM.
Old 4/8/15, 10:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

I change mine once a year using Amsoil. Trust me there's no sludge built up of any kind.
Old 4/8/15, 11:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
Time or usage, both. Though I thought the manual stated it should be changed twice a year minimum. Not once a year. Weird. Going a full year would cause my OCD to go into over-drive. I've seen what sludge on the inside of an engine looks like. It's not pretty.
There is no mention of mandatory oil change times in the manual that I know of. My car sits, unused from November to April, so I am not concerned about sludge build up. The oil I took out looked to be in good shape. I used the Ford semi-synthetic, as recommended in the manual. I just use good judgement for oil change intervals. I doubt the car can make a better decision for me.

Last edited by 88lx50; 4/8/15 at 11:06 AM.
Old 4/8/15, 11:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ah, I don't feel so bad now for going nearly a year without an oil change. Bought my GT in Aug of 13. Had the first oil change in May or June of 14 when it hit 5000 miles. It's only been 3000 miles later and the change oil soon light came on yesterday. I got it changed today. A couple of weeks ago my oil life was at 21%. Since my move last June, I only drive it once or twice a week.
Old 4/8/15, 11:41 AM
GT Member

There is no mention of mandatory oil change times in the manual that I know of. My car sits, unused from November to April, so I am not concerned about sludge build up. The oil I took out looked to be in good shape. I used the Ford semi-synthetic, as recommended in the manual. I just use good judgement for oil change intervals. I doubt the car can make a better decision for me.
I can't do it. I wish I could. I'm too OCD about it. I'll do it every six months or 5k miles, but that's pushing it for me, and I use full synthetic. $100.00 for an oil change helps keep me from changing it every 4 months. lol.

But I drive mine year round. So I like to change it during the spring and fall anyway.
Old 4/8/15, 01:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

its not "mandatory" but there are guidelines of when they advise you change it, I've read it.

Summer time says that the average oil change should be done between 12-16k KM's.

winter time is 8 - 12k KM's.

my dealership "stresses" how imperative it is that I change it no later than 8,000KM's

So ... to be on the "safe" side, I change it every 10k

if I beat on the car (which we all do) I'll check the oil levels once I hit 8,000KM's and keep an eye on it to make sure that its at a healthy level or else, i'll make a service appointment.

Last edited by JoeMidnight; 4/8/15 at 01:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil change interval